Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:44 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,099,500 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 09:11 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,578,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Agreed. This hospital violated this man's privacy in such an egregious and outrageous fashion that 2.5 million is barely enough.
How many years should the clerk that made the mistake get?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,164,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Pretty much every post you've made has been incorrect from a legal standpoint. You should stop now.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:20 AM

37,946 posts, read 17,835,152 times
Quote:
Years? The victim should split the money with the clerk. After expenses.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Pretty much every post you've made has been incorrect from a legal standpoint. You should stop now.
So, when someone does something so egregious as to destroy another person's life, you don't think we should have laws that place them in prison?

If we could go back in time and get jail time included in HIPAA laws, how many years should this clerk receive?

I assume yo believe this clerk should be held 59#Â¥% accountable for the civil suit, correct?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:26 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,164,694 times
Quote:
So, when someone does something so egregious as to destroy another person's life, you don't think we should have laws that place them in prison?

If we could go back in time and get jail time included in HIPAA laws, how many years should this clerk receive?

I assume yo believe this clerk should be held 59#Â¥% accountable for the civil suit, correct?
Nope, that's another thing you were wrong about. The clerk was an agent of their employer, that's why it's the hospital being sued, not the individual employee.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Nope, that's another thing you were wrong about. The clerk was an agent of their employer, that's why it's the hospital being sued, not the individual employee.
But you think the clerk should also be held accountable, right?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:32 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,765,878 times
Quote:
So, you feel it's possible to train an employee to NEVER make a clerical mistake?
When the matter is as important as communicating HIV status the system should have enough checks and balances that mistakes do not occur. Something as simple as a second set of eyes on it before the send button is hit perhaps. Or a call to the patient verifying where it is being sent. Clerical people can and do make mistakes but for important stuff you have a system that helps catch them before those mistakes get implemented.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:36 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,335,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
There is a simple way to avoid a $2.5M charge...

...Take patient privacy more seriously.

I often see friends of my wife in the hospital. I dont tell my wife. Occasionally they will tell me to say hi to her for them, and in that case I always clearly ask them if I have their permission to tell her I saw them, so there is no mistake.
$2.5M, that is just insane, If a person is okay with this they should not complain about the cost of health care.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
When the matter is as important as communicating HIV status the system should have enough checks and balances that mistakes do not occur. Something as simple as a second set of eyes on it before the send button is hit perhaps. Or a call to the patient verifying where it is being sent. Clerical people can and do make mistakes but for important stuff you have a system that helps catch them before those mistakes get implemented.
You want to see medical expenses shoot up even more when you have all clerical work double checked?

Should I also assume you want all hospitals to fire any employee making any form of mistake on the spot? Let's say an employee transcribes a bill for $234.55 to $243.55, that employee should be immediately terminated, correct? If they allow such sloppiness, it could end up with a clerk putting in the wrong fax number.

How about we give patients the choice between picking up their records themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies