Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:19 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times

Advertisements

I don't want to make this some kind of partisan attack. A few days ago a friend and I were talking about how much we missed Jon Stewart. I know a lot of right-wingers didn't like Jon Stewart, but even though I didn't always agree with his opinions on social and economic matters, and even though I thought at times he took clips out of context to paint a somewhat false narrative. Comparing Jon Stewart's Dailyshow to the literal garbage that is everywhere on TV anymore, he seems like an angel of truth and integrity.

These days, any time I turn on the TV and see anything remotely political, I get so angry I have to turn it off. It is literal vomit. And no one disappoints me more than Steven Colbert. Because I would regularly watch his show after Jon Stewart. And although his show was always a bit more "edgy", his current show is nothing but petty garbage, lacking any integrity, and downright hateful. Not remotely thought-provoking in the least.

The media is a bunch of idiots, pandering to idiots. What happened? Or was it always this way?

Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
You do realize Stewart, Bill Maher, and Colbert are COMEDIANS, and they are not intended to disseminate actual information, or "news" but to get laughs, and ratings, right? Also, they are there to push a Leftist agenda to pander to their Leftist audience. They should not be taken seriously, so if you look at it that way, you may be less disappointed.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:26 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,742 times
Wanna hear extremist slant? Listen to AM radio. It doesn't get anymore lopsided than that.

That being said, they are all protected by the First.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:44 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
All media is nothing more than a vehicle for selling crap nobody wants or needs.

People want everything condensed into a 30 second soundbite.

Half the people in my town do not know how their local government works.

I get from Samantha Bee than national or local tv news.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I don't want to make this some kind of partisan attack. A few days ago a friend and I were talking about how much we missed Jon Stewart. I know a lot of right-wingers didn't like Jon Stewart, but even though I didn't always agree with his opinions on social and economic matters, and even though I thought at times he took clips out of context to paint a somewhat false narrative. Comparing Jon Stewart's Dailyshow to the literal garbage that is everywhere on TV anymore, he seems like an angel of truth and integrity.

These days, any time I turn on the TV and see anything remotely political, I get so angry I have to turn it off. It is literal vomit. And no one disappoints me more than Steven Colbert. Because I would regularly watch his show after Jon Stewart. And although his show was always a bit more "edgy", his current show is nothing but petty garbage, lacking any integrity, and downright hateful. Not remotely thought-provoking in the least.

The media is a bunch of idiots, pandering to idiots. What happened? Or was it always this way?

Just FYI...

Stewart and Colbert are not "the media."

They're comedians.

It's just that they're a lot more entertaining than the comedians on Fox "News."

I report. You decide.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You do realize Stewart, Bill Maher, and Colbert are COMEDIANS, and they are not intended to disseminate actual information, or "news" but to get laughs, and ratings, right? Also, they are there to push a Leftist agenda to pander to their Leftist audience. They should not be taken seriously, so if you look at it that way, you may be less disappointed.
If I recall correctly, they did a study once, and Jon Stewart's audience was the best-informed group in the poll.

Public Knowledge of Current Affairs Little Changed by News and Information Revolutions | Pew Research Center

Just because a show is funny, doesn't mean it isn't informative. I always felt like Jon Stewart's show was packed with information, and his interviews were generally very intelligent(one of my favorite was his interview with Richard Dawkins).

I always knew Jon Stewart was a "leftist", but other than his advocacy of same-sex marriage and universal healthcare, I never felt like he was "in my face" about it. I felt like he was respectful, and didn't try to belittle or attack those he disagreed with him.

He and Bill O'Reilly had many debates, which were respectful, and intelligent. But who would do that now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Wanna hear extremist slant? Listen to AM radio. It doesn't get anymore lopsided than that.

That being said, they are all protected by the First.
I wasn't saying that they shouldn't be allowed freedom of speech. I merely said that they were an embarrassment. And they are, I don't know how anyone can listen to the garbage being spewed and not feel angry and shameful.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:55 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
I think they are actually "political satirists" versus straight out comedians. Not much of difference there but there is a difference. And yes, they are not "the media." They have a position (the one's Old Gringo listed happen to be leftist) and they use the news to create satire.

I'm sure there are some political satirists that are Republican; but maybe not. Not much sense of humor there.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think they are actually "political satirists" versus straight out comedians. Not much of difference there but there is a difference. And yes, they are not "the media." They have a position (the one's Old Gringo listed happen to be leftist) and they use the news to create satire.

I'm sure there are some political satirists that are Republican; but maybe not. Not much sense of humor there.

That would be Limbaugh.

Except his satire is devoid of humor and replaces it with fear and anger.

Wingnuts slurp it down with gusto, then come here to repeat whatever he says.

They've very amusing. No wonder they worship tRump.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Just FYI...

Stewart and Colbert are not "the media."

They're comedians.
1) They are part of the media. Do you even know what the media is?

2) I said I liked Jon Stewart. And that I was disappointed in what Colbert has become. I never claimed that they represented the media.

The point of this post, was to shine a light on how ridiculous the media has become in the last year. I felt like my examples were a good barometer for how things have changed for the worse.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:09 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Typical cons... They can't differentiate between comedians and actual newscasters. If you want to talk about real news media, go criticize Dateline, 60 minutes, etc. Colbert was always tearing up the right wing even in his old show. And so was Stewart, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies