Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 05:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Of course. Why would anyone expect different from this poster.
Right. All you're gonna get from me is the truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
But I bet you remember every injustice ever done to a black person by a white person.
You bet? What are you willing to bet?

According to you, white people have never done anything unjust to anyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Because nation building is very profitable.
To everyone but the taxpayer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Who can forget 9/11?

We were attacked on our own soil. Thousands were massacred.

Took us years to get the guy behind it.
Took us years to build him up too. Osama was useful as long as he was killing Russians in Afghanistan. Just goes to show you how stupid it is to get in bed with certain people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Lol.........."nation building" didn't cause 9/11. For God's sake.
Try to think, man.
Our involvement in the Russian-Afghanistan War is the genesis of the 9/11 attack. That was very stupid on our part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Whether you live in New York City, Dallas, Seattle, Los Angeles, Phoenix, or any little town USA, you have to remember that the September 11th, 2001 attacks were attacks on all of us Americans.
Ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I keep hearing that, but who cares if you're not gonna learn any lessons.

The United States is still meddling in the affairs of Islamic nations. So you may as well forget 9/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I always crack up when people say "they remember" that day, like it's some sort of special claim to have a vivid memory of the biggest national incident in recent memory.
I know. Silly platitudes that don't amount to squat. It just makes them feel good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH86 View Post
Iran was responsible for 9/11, they still have not paid the price for their aggression, only the mullahs terrorist proxies.
SMH... people with opinions like this are why 9/11 happened in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 05:45 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We will never forget who caused 9/11 and the lives lost on and after 9/12 that were all related to 9/11!

Many first responders got very sick due to their heroic and brave work on 9/11, and died later!

Freedom has and will never be the same as prior to 9/11!

That's quite a statement, considering that you don't even know who was really behind the attack.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:46 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What you need to be thinking about is how this country can avoid that kinda blowback again, instead of dwelling on 9/11.
Simple: Close the borders to all from the ME, except natives of Israel.

We have UBER, so we do not need their cab driving skills.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:07 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Blah blah blah. None of the stupid talk that happens every year on this date matters one iota.
PEOPLE DO NOT CARE! They barely cared about it right after it happened!
Apathy is the primary quality of our time, and 9/11 proved it. If 100,000 people had died that day instead of 3,000, THEN people might have cared..........a little.
People (mostly) DO care, but chest-thumping jingoism advances neither the cause of freedom, nor of security. What’s especially disconcerting, is attempts to politicize the tragedy – as if one party, or one set of political beliefs, is somehow responsible for the tragedy, whereas the opposing set is upright and blameless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What really gets me is all those who say they will never let terrorism effect them or change their lives, but at the same time, they are totally willing to abide by all the new regulations and laws that came as a result of this attack???

... 9-11 was the beginning of a major change in the US, people were suddenly totally fine with certain freedoms being taken away (for the sake of security), and even cheered them, its almost like tyranny was welcomed in with open arms, masquerading as concern for national security, and the war on terror can literally go on forever,...
Indeed. Besides the lives lost and wrecked, the enduring loss has been a cultural shift. A proud and assertive people has turned its assertion inside-out, becoming fearful of foreigners and timidly accepting of abridgment of freedom in the name of security.

America managed to sustain and triumph in the Cold War - a truly "existential" conflict - largely without reneging on its ideals. The same can't be said for the present predicament.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:11 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A proud and assertive people has turned its assertion inside-out, becoming fearful of foreigners .

We feared Nazis, too. We did something about it. In this case, not letting terrorists in, based on nation of origin, should do the trick. We do not want to be the sitting ducks Europeans have become, due to their open border stupidity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPo4ESdzB_4

Old 09-11-2017, 06:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
And yet Saudi Arabia still is our friend?
alq attacked the USA...alq was hQ'd in Afghanistan....alq is not a country

the fact that they had Saudi heritage doesn't matter...they were members of alq

try this scenario...

a bunch of former New Yorkers, who still have family in NY and even get money for those families in NY, are now members of a fanatical church in Jersey, and are living in NJ, they travel all over the USA getting supplies/training/etc....then they bomb an abortion clinic in Pennsylvania ...are you going to blame New York...or would you blame the fanatical church in Jersey???

Old 09-11-2017, 06:27 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
there was an Iraq-alq relationship

Quote:
US State Department
November 4, 1998

Bin Laden, Atef Indicted in U.S. Federal Court for African Bombings

New York -- Usama bin Laden and Muhammad Atef were indicted November 4 in Manhattan federal court for the August 7 bombings of the US embassies in Nairobi, Kenya, and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and for conspiring to kill Americans outside the United States.

Bin Laden's "al Qaeda" organization functioned both on its own and through other terrorist organizations, including the Al Jihad group based in Egypt, the Islamic Group also known as el Gamaa Islamia led at one time by Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, and a number of other jihad groups in countries such as Sudan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and Somalia.

Bin Laden, the US Attorney charged, engaged in business transactions on behalf of Al Qaeda, including purchasing warehouses for storage of explosives, transporting weapons, and establishing a series of companies in Sudan to provide income to al Qaeda and as a cover for the procurement of explosives, weapons, and chemicals, and for the travel of operatives.

According to the indictment, bin Laden and al Qaeda forged alliances with the National Islamic Front in Sudan and with representatives of the Government of Iran and its associated terrorist group Hezballah with the goal of working together against their common enemies in the West, particularly the United States.

"In addition, al Qaeda reached an understanding with the Government of Iraq that al Qaeda would not work against that government and that on particular projects, specifically including weapons development, al Qaeda would work cooperatively with the Government of Iraq," the indictment said.

Beginning in 1992, bin Laden allegedly issued through his "fatwah" committees a series of escalating "fatwahs" against the United States, certain military personnel, and, eventually in February 1998, a "fatwah" stating that Muslims should kill Americans -- including civilians -- anywhere in the world they can be found.
the Clinton admin even said Iraq and alq was working together

Old 09-11-2017, 06:35 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We will never forget who caused 9/11 and the lives lost on and after 9/12 that were all related to 9/11!

Many first responders got very sick due to their heroic and brave work on 9/11, and died later!

Freedom has and will never be the same as prior to 9/11!
"Yep, freedom is not the same anymore,"

-the Patriot Act

To avoid the hate-strike I'll get, I'll explain myself briefly. 9/11 was a travesty. There's no denying that. But how we handle travesties is a reflection on our selves. We did come together. There was something beautiful there. We also gave in to fear and sensationalism, as mentioned above: the Patriot Act. And that's just one example.

If I get called unAmerican or heartless for pointing out what terrible things we've done to justify retribution for 9/11, so be it. I believe in freedom, equality, American values, and humanity. I think we're better than our so called war on terror, and I believe doing right is the only thing that can truly heal the wounds of 9/11. If me no screeching "America **** yeah" ever 11th of September makes me unAmerican, then I don't want to be an American. But I know we're better than that.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:43 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
16 years later americans are still losing

Old 09-11-2017, 06:51 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I always crack up when people say "they remember" that day, like it's some sort of special claim to have a vivid memory of the biggest national incident in recent memory.
I also find it sad that people act as if those who died in the 2001 attacks are somehow more important and special than those who die in other ways. Every person's death is a loss and a tragedy but it seems that celebrating our victimhood has become a national pastime.

So every year on 9/11, we remember the wrong the big bad terrorists did to us, and obsess about terrorism the other 364 days of the year. It's an odd attitude for the citizens of the supposedly strongest country in the world to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies