Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 10:57 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We don't take anything from their research. There are many drugs researched and approved in other countries that the FDA hasn't approved here. You don't need to charge patients hundreds of dollars to pay for research.
and the FDA (our government) is a major part of the problem

I was injured in Iraq..(my back)..the VA (government ) wanted FUSING, would not approve the disc replacement...yet BCBS (private ) would PAY FOR IT overseas (except for travel and lodging)it wasnt until dec 2004 that the fda approved it for single level...still the VA and tricare (government ) would not do it (said it was 'experimental'..even though it had been successful in Europe for nearly 3 decades)...FINALLY I won the battle against the government and had my back surgery in 2007

the lumbar DISC REPLACEMENT surgery was done in Europe for nearly 30 years before the FDA approved for it to be done here

and its BECAUSE OF GOVERNMENT (especially the FDA)...believe me government care is not what the basic American wants
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 11:01 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We don't take anything from their research. There are many drugs researched and approved in other countries that the FDA hasn't approved here. You don't need to charge patients hundreds of dollars to pay for research.
When a Swiss company develops a drug and then sells it for $100 dollars in America and $10 in Europe, Canada, and China guess what you're doing? You're bearing the cost of research for Canada, Europe, and China.

If you are interested in the economics of drug research (or anything else) I find Wikipedia is a great accessible source of basic information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_drug_development.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:03 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
no the public option is just another way for the government to screw the little guy

I have seen the government department of health HORROR clinics...no thank you
Then stick with your private health insurance, nobody is forcing you to buy into the public option. But for those who want to, it's there. What's so hard about understanding this?

This is the same stupid position Dems find themselves in with attempting to compromise with conservatives. Conservatives refuse to even compromise. Then fine, we'll force you to buy into single payer then.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:14 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
and the FDA (our government) is a major part of the problem

I was injured in Iraq..(my back)..the VA (government ) wanted FUSING, would not approve the disc replacement...yet BCBS (private ) would PAY FOR IT overseas (except for travel and lodging)it wasnt until dec 2004 that the fda approved it for single level...still the VA and tricare (government ) would not do it (said it was 'experimental'..even though it had been successful in Europe for nearly 3 decades)...FINALLY I won the battle against the government and had my back surgery in 2007

the lumbar DISC REPLACEMENT surgery was done in Europe for nearly 30 years before the FDA approved for it to be done here

and its BECAUSE OF GOVERNMENT (especially the FDA)...believe me government care is not what the basic American wants
It sometimes takes the FDA decades to approve a drug which is ridiculous. How many trials do they need. I have a family member who was diagnosed with untreatable depression at age 12....over half his life now since he is now 28. Nothing has helped him...no pills, no therapy or ECT. NIH has been researching and doing trails for decades for Ketamine which has been a god send to those who don't respond to anything else. Yet they haven't approved it.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Then stick with your private health insurance, nobody is forcing you to buy into the public option. But for those who want to, it's there. What's so hard about understanding this?

This is the same stupid position Dems find themselves in with attempting to compromise with conservatives. Conservatives refuse to even compromise. Then fine, we'll force you to buy into single payer then.
you don't get it...

first off I cant stand INSURANCE

do you really think the government would be cheaper....it wont

do you really want the government (which breaks everything it touches) controlling a 6 trillion dollar industry???

do you want the government controlling YOUR BODY and HEALTH????

you people are so wound up on what you THINK will be free....when it will be the most costly ting you could have ever imagined

Old 09-11-2017, 11:49 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
you don't get it...

do you really want the government (which breaks everything it touches) controlling a 6 trillion dollar industry???

you people are so wound up on what you THINK will be free....when it will be the most costly ting you could have ever imagined
The bolded is the bottom line.

It's definitely not free. A friend was kind of a guinea pig with the military for his back issues and they ended up discharging him from the military because they screwed him up.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:38 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Medicare covers about everything. Maybe too much, as it is too easy in so many cases to over order testing. Medicare pays 80%, so the 20% is up to you and/or your supplemental (separate) insurance. Mine is $125/mo.

The billing is not much different single vs a few payers.

Of course docs expect lower pay with single payer. So they will not come along gracefully without decent pay.

Starting in about 2011 the powers that be began to promote primary care with some payment boosts. In fact it has kept me going since then. About my only raise since 1988.

I would expect that if a national single-payer system was put in place, that there might be many more scholarships to medical schools funded by it. This would make it easier and more economically feasible for doctors. Maybe, it would be necessary to provide that greater subsidy for training, to ensure we had enough qualified people. If that didn't happen, there's always foreign-trained medical personnel who would work for lower incomes (not good news for American-trained doctors, of course).

Old 09-12-2017, 02:11 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Once your health becomes an expense to other people it will open up a HUGE can of worms. "I'm eating healthy and exercising, why should I have to pay for the fat ass who doesn't excersize? You should mandate that he can't drink soda". Most things are not done better collectively and healthcare is certainly one of those things.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:13 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Once your health becomes an expense to other people and government has the ability to regulate your health it will open up a HUGE can of worms. "I'm eating healthy and exercising, why should I have to pay for the fat ass who doesn't excersize? You should mandate that he can't drink soda". Most things are not done better collectively and healthcare is certainly one of those things.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:28 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,811,509 times
Quote:
you don't get it...

Health insurance will be here whether you like it or not and whether it's run by a private company or the government.

Again, CHOICE. What if I think the government program is better suited for me? I should have the option to buy into it. I never said it was free.

If you don't like government run healthcare, STAY AWAY then. How hard is that? Some other people might prefer it to private health insurance. Plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies