Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:27 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
You should see our roads. All our tax money is going to union pensions. There's so many homeless in Cali there can never be enough shelters to help. The more they build them more will come. A lot of them don't even want shelter they don't want to give up there drugs and dogs. People bring them everything they need anyway. There's no solution Ca is spiraling down. Can't wait to move out
Agree. I couldn't wait to move out either. Life is too short to be miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 02:29 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Speaking of "downtown smelling like pee" when I lived in Vegas, I had to get a sheriff's card, which meant parking my car and walking downtown to the building I needed to be in. I was overwhelmed with the strong scent of urine and it was NOT cat pee.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:29 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Failure to impose basic civil expectations on a segment of society with no greater sense of responsibility than a mutt in the pound has everything to do with being (pseudo-) liberal.

"Folks, we are here today to bury (**** ******), whom everyone said would come to a bad end. Last Saturday night, in the city of Birmingham, somebody proved we were right.

Like a dog he lived; like a dog he died; Undertaker, do your duty!"

The rant of some arch-conservative? Nope, it was the late Vernon Jordan.
No logic or rationality in your post at all.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
If that's the case, how does one tell the difference between a Republican and a Democrat in San Diego?

The one wearing the mask is a Democrat?
Lower taxes, lower regulation, less nannyism, less capitulation to unions.

If there were more Republicans like Faulconer, California would still be a reddish purple state. With the Dems turning hard left, there might be an opening for someone like that for a statewide office.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:33 PM

72,974 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

If there were more Republicans like Faulconer, California would still be a reddish purple state. With the Dems turning hard left, there might be an opening for someone like that for a statewide office.
This is the thing. San Diego has Faulconer and the city still has big issues with homelessness and this illness.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:43 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Thanks.

I get the lower (business) regulations, less nannyism and telling the unions to pound sand....but how do you fix these problems if taxes are lowered?

(& are there any Cali Repubs who have grown a pair in regards to Climate Change and being a freaking Estado Santuario.)

Old 09-12-2017, 04:10 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Speaking of "downtown smelling like pee" when I lived in Vegas, I had to get a sheriff's card, which meant parking my car and walking downtown to the building I needed to be in. I was overwhelmed with the strong scent of urine and it was NOT cat pee.

I know. I was walking my dog the other day and she turned to me and said "oh come on! I've been pee mailing with this hot looking yorkie and now I cant tell if he still wants to smell my butt."

Old 09-12-2017, 04:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
After all this complaining do any of you have any legal, let alone humane, suggestions about what to do to solve these problems?
Yes. Quit paying them to be homeless, it's not about lack of money or lack of shelters on the homeless side. Make it very uncomfortable and unprofitable for them to stay on the street and get the legislature to reopen the mental health facilities like Napa Mental Hospital and then put the mentally illl in there.

There's another group that just won't quit doing drugs. Arrest them and detox their arse THEN make it clear that they will no longer be welcome on the streets, their next stay will result in long jail terms.

Then there's those that just plain like living on the streets. Homeless roundups, destroy the camps,shelters etc and make it very clear that they will be rousted every time they lay down. Arrest and jail anyone urinating/defecting in public PERIOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I noticed the rich/poor contrast even back in the 80s. Now it's crazy. I don't understand the willingness to live like a pauper just to reside there unless one has a guaranteed track to becoming one of the "haves". Even then, the homeless are still drugging and crapping on the streets in ever increasing numbers.

Maybe the wealthy like looking down on poor and middle class even if they have to step over needles and piles of dung to get to their offices. In most places the working class/poor would be horrified at the sights and sounds and smells of what is going on in elite expensive cities.
I've worked in SF off and on since the '70s until about 2000. Boy did it change for the worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Is washing feces from the street using WATER which California is not in great abundance of, the best use of the water? Perhaps a better idea is have restrooms for those who would do the dirty deed in the street because no restroom is available...
They tried that, the homeless destroyed and/or tried living in them. They put out self cleaning restrooms, the homeless scared everyone away from them, did drugs in them,lived in them and sued when the thing went through the self cleaning cycle because they wouldn't LEAVE the toilet.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
Trump state of Florida has it a lot worse off than California. Watch them get knocked down by hurricane after hurricane. The place is unfit for human habitation.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:11 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Failure to impose basic civil expectations on a segment of society with no greater sense of responsibility than a mutt in the pound has everything to do with being (pseudo-) liberal.

"Folks, we are here today to bury (**** ******), whom everyone said would come to a bad end. Last Saturday night, in the city of Birmingham, somebody proved we were right.

Like a dog he lived; like a dog he died; Undertaker, do your duty!"

The rant of some arch-conservative? Nope, it was the late Vernon Jordan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
No logic or rationality in your post at all.
Admittedly, I should have provided more background, but a lot of those here aren't willing to recognize that good causes are sometimes hijacked for less-responsible motives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Jordan

Vernon Jordan was active in the ldeadership of the National Urban League, and a trusted advisor within the Carter Administration, but he knew when he was being used and manipulated. The original post refers to an incident in which he was asked to eulogize a local ne'er-do-well of whom he held a low opinion.

And as in that case, concern for those genuinely in need of help has been turned into a watery overdose of sentiment which hampers efforts to separate those truly unable to fend for themselves from those who simply refuse to accept a hard choice.

The "homelessness question" is a particularly ugly manifestation of the unfortunate fact that the United States' dominant role in the global economy has been deteriorating for decades, (As it has to, unless we want to return to a total-war footing). The often white, Anglo-Saxon-surnamed overgrown children infesting the streets of California's cities often grew up simply expecting too much, further addled by drugs and the standard Leftist spiel that somebody, somewhere, is holding out on them (and all of us), and the only answer is to scale back their unrealistic expectations and learn to function in the real world. But few political figures have enough guts to deliver that message, particularly in the Fantasyland called the Beautiful Peoples' State of Kalifornia.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-12-2017 at 08:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies