Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should voting age be raised to 30?
Yes, raise the voting age to 30 17 13.82%
No, keep the voting age 18 106 86.18%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:19 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Just go back to white land owning males being the only voters and be done with it.
They are trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:00 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Who gets to define responsible behavior?
Trump, as soon as he learns to spell 'heal'.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:14 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
18 yrs old is not what it used to be, kids are being brought up soooo sheltered these days, they dont really grow up and become an adult til they are into their 20s or even later.
Your brain doesn't stop developing until you're about 25 anyway. Please spare us with that my generation was better and people need to be tougher crap. It's really redundant at this point.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:15 PM

716 posts, read 393,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Only people who use their Turn Signal Indicator should be allowed to vote.
And when they forget to turn them off, they shouldn't be allowed to vote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
If a candidate talks about how they feel or how much empathy they have..... i vote against them.
I wouldn't doubt that for a second. It falls right in lockstep with most conservatives attitude towards their fellow Americans or anyone who would clothe and feed the poor...

...[Pope] Francis has scolded people for being rich, sided with illegal immigrants, and suggested the church should be a refuge for the poor.

He has sidelined conservative cardinals, installed like-minded allies in key jobs, taken personal control of the Knights of Malta for defying him, and generally sent the signal that behind his amiable smile and humble talk lurks a radically liberal agenda...

Last edited by sd-bound; 09-12-2017 at 07:26 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 07:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
How on earth can you claim that there is no relationship between the age at which one can be in the military and the age at which one can vote for politicians who have the ability to declare or reject war?

THAT is a silly statement.
How on earth can you claim there is a relationship between military age and voting. Those are unrelated.

That is a silly statement.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:50 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Did you even read your link? It does not guarantee the right to vote. It just says , “The right of citizens of the United States, who are 18 years of age or older, to vote, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of age.â€

It does not guarantee the right to vote.

Try again.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:14 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How on earth can you claim there is a relationship between military age and voting. Those are unrelated.

The relationship is quite clear. Elected officials have the "right" to declare war. Shouldn't people thought old enough to go to war have a voice in selecting them?

I've about reached the limits of my ability to "dumb down" this argument, so why don't you take a shot at explaining how they are unrelated?

Old 09-13-2017, 05:15 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

Why do you hate the troops?

Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Ann Coulter Says College Students Shouldn't Be Allowed To Vote | Right Wing Watch

Right now, the GOP is enjoying a day in the sun. Aging rural baby boomers came out in force to elect Donald Trump and conservative congressional candidates. Even Republicans know demographics are not on their side, which is why Ann Coulter is advocating raising the voting age to 30.

Do you agree with her? Should certain demographics be banned from voting simply because they don't vote your way?
"Aging rural baby boomers?" Obviously, you never saw one Trump campaign rally. There were people of all ages, including many young people. And they weren't just "rural" people (as if that has anything to do with anything!). Many Trump supporters are young professionals who live in fancy rural neighborhoods in nice homes, and they drive fancy cars. I know, because many are my friends.

I grew up in a rural setting. My father had 27 acres, but worked in the city of Cleveland. I went to school in our small town. There were only 100 in my high school class. However most graduates went on to college. Even those who didn't are now very successful businessmen who still live in the nearby area. So your inference that rural people are stupid is just hog wash. But that's the Leftist narrative, isn't it? It's the propaganda you put out for purposes of marginalizing Trump's historic election victory.

Ann Coulter is right (but I wouldn't go to 30). It was a mistake to lower the voting age to 18. Kids at 18, especially today, are not mature enough to know how to vote. When I was growing up, we were a lot more mature, and much more knowledgeable about our government. We were taught civics in high school. We even held mock elections and took over the town for a day. Today's high school kids are know nothings and spoiled brats. They walk around with their heads down staring at a mobile phone, doing "hunt and peck" "typing" (they wouldn't know how to use a real keyboard), oblivious to what's going on around them. I wouldn't trust any of these kids to make an intelligent decision about anything.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:24 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
One of the biggest arguments for lowering the minimum voting age to 18 was that with the draft still operating full swing during Vietnam, it was immoral to say that young soldiers were too young to vote when they weren't considered too young to die for their country and were coming home in body bags.

Like it or not, the minimum voting age isn't about to be raised as long as teenagers are still being recruited and fighting for their country and their lives.
You remember correctly, but teenagers aren't being "recruited," as we now have an all volunteer military.

However, I do think that most eighteen year old children today (and they are children ...at least they act like it) are not intelligent enough, nor are they mature enough to vote intelligently. Most who voted for Hillary voted for her on the basis she was a woman, and would be the "first woman President." As if that was something important! Most who voted for Obama voted on the basis of the color of his skin, and because he would be "the first 'black' President" (again, as if that was important).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies