Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 05:46 PM

78,285 posts, read 60,492,074 times

Advertisements

Whomever assaulted the kid should face stiff legal action and get some psychiatric help as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 06:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,891,411 times
I don't know the back story but; those teens NEED to be tried for attempted murder of especially a young kid. Period.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,507,768 times
Quote:
“There was a tire swing at the back of this house, and one of the kids had broken the tire off the swing and the rope was hanging,” says Merlin. “The older boys had put the ropes around their necks, and they told Quincy that it was his turn to do it. And Quincy got up on the table and put the rope around his neck, and another kid came up from behind him and pushed him off of the picnic table. And they walked away and left him there hanging.”
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thero...1805654536/amp

Old 09-13-2017, 09:05 PM

6,468 posts, read 4,063,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Reading that just makes me want to throw up, I was 14 just a few years ago, you would have to be all sorts of stupid to actually think hanging was all fun and games and push a kid off the table.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Utterly disgusting. What is wrong with these kids that they would even think to do this? If true, they need to be charged and they definitely need psychiatric help.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:37 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,167,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Don't let it stop us from what, thinking? Yes the boy has a mark on his neck. But his story about how it got there makes little sense.
Let it stop you from overthinking.

It really wasn't difficult to see how this is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
All they would have to do is have the kid stand on the edge of the table, put the noose around his neck and then go to the other end and tip the table so it's lower than his feet.

And I'm saying this knowing full well that it sounds like I've either done such a thing or considered doing such a thing. NEGATIVE to both!
Busted!! Ahah.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,142,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So following this it COULD have been joking around gone bad.<bold> As I said upthread, way too many people jumping to way too many conclusions with the slimmest of information to go on.
In my opinion it's ONLY because it's a chiillllld so we must have a knee jerk response and immediately believe the worst of whatever the stories might be...
I don't understand why more people aren't upset that an 8 year old boy was outside so long unsupervised by his family? Yes, the 14 year olds were awful and need to be punished, but the boy's family should be investigated by child services for not taking care of their 8 year old. And that 8 year old needs friends that are closer to his own age. The 14 year olds didn't want to hang out with him. So first they called him names, then they played rough with him. And maybe, because the rope was tied in a loop in order to hold a tire, they didn't think that it was dangerous to do what they did, because it wasn't a noose that would tighten up.

And in the Boston Globe article, they had a picture of the boy and his mother. He is very big and tall for his age, in fact it looks like he is taller and bigger than his mother (maybe she's just very short). But 8 years of age is way too young to be without an adult nearby. The Globe mentioned his name, Lyric Merlin (Slattery), and yes, I can easily imagine how other children would make fun of his name and him. But that's how kids are. And bullying among school age children has been a big problem for decades.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:59 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't understand why more people aren't upset that an 8 year old boy was outside so long unsupervised by his family?
8 year old children DO NOT need a helicopter parent or caretaker to watch them play outside.
It would turn a child into a psychological train wreck.

Gawd, I can't believe this dumb thread is still going!

Old 09-13-2017, 10:29 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,220 times
the boy's name is quincy merlin. he looks like a big kid. but still looks like an 8 year old to me. i don't see any photo's online of him next to his mother and being taller than her. i'm not paying to see the boston globe.

and i don't know why it is so hard to believe that he would be hanging around these older kids. it happens all the time. and by the way, quincy's sister was there as well according to one article i saw. she is 11.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:11 PM

39,170 posts, read 27,558,641 times
Most likely, these teenagers would be ordered to remain at a juvenile detention facility.

Racially motivated or not, this doesn't matter. Everybody needs to know that these teens are not sane and they are dangerous. Attempted murder at age of 14?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies