Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 10:58 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

abused and used- 95% male comrades- think I can just be called for everything-- they like to say " I don't know"
if one gets in trouble OH well- and they cover each other-
yea its NOT equal-

Old 09-13-2017, 11:12 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
These are excellent examples; good post. I'm thinking there are plenty of ladies on here who don't recognize or haven't yet correlated some of the ways they're being regarded, including by other women.

When I'm out socially with a group, I routinely notice some women almost hanging on every word some guy is saying but then interrupting or behaving as uninterested when a women is talking.

For some males and females, their behavior makes it very obvious that they view the genders as tiered and, if they do think that way, I've yet to observe any who view or regard women as the top tier.
It's not about not recognizing it, it's about what your response is to it. For me, life is too short to dwell on things like this or create an outrage.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:13 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It's not about not recognizing it, it's about what your response is to it. For me, life is too short to dwell on things like this or create an outrage.
Life is short. Ignore injustice!

Old 09-13-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Life is short. Ignore injustice!
Yes because what some random dude or chick in a social setting does affects my life.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Yes because what some random dude or chick in a social setting does affects my life.
Because in reality it's not just your social life. They did studies that show that giving people the exact same resume and just changing the gender of the first name will get an overwhelmingly positive response for the male name.

This attitude starts in a social setting and then spreads everywhere else.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because in reality it's not just your social life. They did studies that show that giving people the exact same resume and just changing the gender of the first name will get an overwhelmingly positive response for the male name.

This attitude starts in a social setting and then spreads everywhere else.
Do you honestly think that women bear no responsibility on the stereotypes developed?

Old 09-13-2017, 11:31 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Do you honestly think that women bear no responsibility on the stereotypes developed?
That is a separate argument.

But looking at the bad apples to try to define a whole group is intellectually dishonest.

Also, constantly pointing to the incompetence of some women in certain tasks when they were not even allowed to do those tasks (for all practical purposes) until the very recent present is super intellectually dishonest.

Even today, young kids are pigeonholed, ostracized, and embarrassed for expressing interest in activities out of "the norm" for their gender.

I think that there is also a lot of backlash from men who are losing their privilege and see that as oppression.

I'm not worried. 100 years from now I expected to be a lot better. We are less than 100 years out from women being considered property after forty thousand years of total lack of parity. It will take time.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:36 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
America has no laws that put women in an oppressed state but a few individuals in America certainly do. Usually related to religious beliefs. Certain sects of Mormons, Muslims, Evangelists Christians, Catholics, and the like.

So America like all other countries houses these pigs but America doesn't itself condone the behavior nor does the majority seem to agree with the behavior.

I myself haven't experienced it, thankfully I never had an extremely religious boss who was under the impression that God trumped all laws. But I've heard stories.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:39 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
In some areas of life and work women are still oppressed. In others they thrive and sometimes are guilty of being the oppressors.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:42 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
No. Maybe because I'm not a feminist.

I like being admired, treated like a lady, and put on a pedestal. I wouldn't want to be treated like a man.
What do you want to be admired for?

I want to be admired because of my accomplishments, intelligence, hard work, bravery, and drive. The things I've worked my tuches off for. It's insulting to be admired for qualities I can't control when simultaneously dismissed in many cases *because* I'm a woman for qualities that I cultivate and would be prized for if I was a man.

So I guess I can't understand why someone would like to be admired because they're a woman. It's like when people tell me they admire me because I'm a cancer survivor. :vomit: Please, no. Admire me for what I've DONE with survivorship, not for my rogue cells or, on the same hand, my 50/50 shot of a chromosome. Otherwise, it's empty praise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies