U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:43 PM

28,497 posts, read 15,453,012 times

Advertisements

What do you think?

Apply background checks for gun purchases to voting

Republicans worry about vote fraud.

Democrats have long lauded background checks on gun purchases as simple, accurate and in complete harmony with the Second Amendment right to own guns.

If Democrats really believe that the National Instant Criminal Background Check System doesn’t interfere “in any way” with people’s constitutional rights to own a gun, doesn't it follow that the same system would not constitute an infringement on people’s right to vote? This would give Republicans a system for stopping vote fraud and Democrats a system that they have already vigorously endorsed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 PM

6,895 posts, read 2,527,367 times
I did two comprehensive background checks for my CCW, and I always present photo ID when I vote.

Not sure I am seeing the controversy over doing what most functional adults with basic motor function and an IQ higher than 70 can do with very little effort?

Old 09-13-2017, 04:17 PM

11,200 posts, read 6,517,126 times
This is a great idea but it will never happen. The whole point of fighting voter ID laws is to help non-citizens vote. That's it. There is absolutely no other reason to oppose ID laws, except to facilitate fraud.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:18 PM

29,754 posts, read 16,443,859 times
Stay home on election day and read book. Dont ask permission from a violent gang to carry a gun to protect yourself.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:04 PM

9,471 posts, read 2,329,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
...The whole point of fighting voter ID laws is to help non-citizens vote. That's it. ...
Nonsense.

The whole point of introducing voter ID laws we never had before is to suppress the vote, basically disenfranchising people. I even saw some clown suggest raising the voting age to 30 on some thread in this forum. All motivated toward the same goal: keep people out of the polls.

We should be encouraging people to exercise their franchise, not discouraging them!

The whole country has gotten along for more than two centuries without these restrictions, and they only serve to make it harder for people. I have been voting for four decades and the signature book has always worked fine. You have to be in the book to vote, and once voted that's it.

Identity checks at the time of registration are standard, and all that is necessary. The "massive voter fraud" claim is a myth.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 PM

79,173 posts, read 33,597,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is a great idea but it will never happen. The whole point of fighting voter ID laws is to help non-citizens vote. That's it. There is absolutely no other reason to oppose ID laws, except to facilitate fraud.
Outside of the fact that we already have such laws. Everyone must prove who they are when they register.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,707,003 times
I stopped caring immediately after Sandy Hook. Gun control was never going to happen. Kids are going to be gunned down in school. Public shootings are simply going to be as common as they are.

Republicans wouldn't vote to limit firearm access to the clinically mentally ill. They still won't do it, even after a walking, talking metaphor gunned their own down in public.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 PM

5,806 posts, read 4,789,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Nonsense.
The whole point of introducing voter ID laws we never had before is to suppress the vote, basically disenfranchising people.
How so?

Old 09-13-2017, 07:36 PM

35,203 posts, read 32,168,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I stopped caring immediately after Sandy Hook. Gun control was never going to happen. Kids are going to be gunned down in school. Public shootings are simply going to be as common as they are.

Republicans wouldn't vote to limit firearm access to the clinically mentally ill. They still won't do it, even after a walking, talking metaphor gunned their own down in public.
And Dems want sanctuary cities where the local police won't help the feds. Plus, like CA, they want to make stealing a firearm a felony no longer. Nor will they prosecute felons attempting to buy firearms. They are all talk or shall we say, hot air.

Enforce the laws on the books already morons. Libs are going in reverse. Felons good, 2A types bad. WHAT?

Old 09-13-2017, 07:56 PM

1,348 posts, read 533,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Nonsense.

The whole point of introducing voter ID laws we never had before is to suppress the vote, basically disenfranchising people. I even saw some clown suggest raising the voting age to 30 on some thread in this forum. All motivated toward the same goal: keep people out of the polls.

We should be encouraging people to exercise their franchise, not discouraging them!

The whole country has gotten along for more than two centuries without these restrictions, and they only serve to make it harder for people. I have been voting for four decades and the signature book has always worked fine. You have to be in the book to vote, and once voted that's it.

Identity checks at the time of registration are standard, and all that is necessary. The "massive voter fraud" claim is a myth.
Holy mackrel .....completely drunk on purple kool-aid. Bought every bit of fake tripe pushed by the DNC.

Yowser, scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or