Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This thread reminds me when I worked for my college phonathon as an undergrad. We'd all dread the night when we got the list of "never evers" to try to get them to give to their alma mater. At least half we got on the phone would go on and on about some perceived slight (a professor who failed them in 1957, a student group inviting someone they find disagreeable, etc) and they would dutifully report that they would, "never give again." Again being the operative word: we had their giving history. They never gave in the first place. :P

Now, while this whole topic is a sham, there's lots of reasons why it was "only" $45 million for a one hour telathon:

1. Who has a TV anymore?

2. Even if you have cable or (like me) rabbit ears, how many people were watching?

3. Many people have their own charities or have already given.

I'm in full support of the telethon, but I didn't give. I had no idea it existed until the OP happily brought it to my attention, and I already gave to hurricane-related causes that hit specific needs that are important to me: namely MD Anderson which is faced with rescheduling hundreds if not thousands of appointments for people who may not have a safe home to return to, the Union of Concerned Scientists (because science is real and in 2017, it is ridiculous that global warming is concerned "political"), and using every couponing skill I have to get a few dozen boxes of tampons, baby wipes, and diapers. Many others have given through their places of worship or given directly to the Red Cross, Houston Food Bank, ASPCA, or other charities.
Many, many large corporate employers are also matching $1-$2:$1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 08:22 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Again, what the hell are you babbling about? My comments aren't on how much they GAVE. A telethon is regarding how much the public gives to the idiots manning the phones. Lessons in TELETHON are in order for you, I guess. How bad off does one have to be to not know what a TELETHON is. Damn! It's worse than I thought. Just when I think it can't get any worse, lol.

Oh yes, this thread IS about how much you gave or did. You opened that box by criticizing people who generously gave their time and talent to DO SOMETHING, so, we are simply asking you what YOU did since you seem so interested in the subject.

My guess is, you haven't done squat, you just like to berate others. Thank God for the celebrities who thought enough of others to get off their asses and do something.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:28 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Did Oprah sell a few mansions she owns? Her billions could help lots of poor people who lost everything.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:29 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Perhaps if they shut up about politics and focused on their "art" and the job at hand without throwing ugly political barbs, they would get more donations. I wouldn't donate a single penny to anything to do with the likes of Cher, Barbra, George, Beyoncé, etc. Not a single penny. Obviously, others feel the same. There are better ways to help.
Climate change is only politics to extreme conservatives -- to the rest of the world it is science.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
God Bless the idiots who think this thread is about me and what I gave. Perhaps one of you should start a thread about me.

I thought the telethon might be a good idea. But really...$45 million? That one guy alone got something like $35 million. JJ Watts...I honestly don't even know who he is. Some sports guy, I guess.
What did those celebrities give? The American regular guy or girl gave. They just answered the phone to take the money.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Perhaps if they shut up about politics and focused on their "art" and the job at hand without throwing ugly political barbs, they would get more donations. I wouldn't donate a single penny to anything to do with the likes of Cher, Barbra, George, Beyoncé, etc. Not a single penny. Obviously, others feel the same. There are better ways to help.
I know conservatives say liberals are snow flakes but the telethon triggered conservatives to outrage like I have never seen. I don't remember this attack for Katrina fund raisers.......

Boy oh boy-- conservatives must be feeling very vulnerable. I don't know why...but talk about being sensitive.

What if they only raised a million....it's a million more than existed before it was raised.

It's all good people....relax.......

These same people were the ones throwing it in our face that Trump gave a million -- whoopdi freak'n doo dah day.

His donation was ALL politics. He never donated with Katrina -- or other tragedies -- he only did it to make himself look good. POLITICS.....

Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Climate change is only politics to extreme conservatives -- to the rest of the world it is science.
They talk about climate change and fly around in their private jets. Wake up! They are hypocrites!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They talk about climate change and fly around in their private jets. Wake up! They are hypocrites!
So you are acknowledging climate change -- you just don't like what you think is hypocrisy. Okay -- that's a step in the right direction.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,031,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You quoted me, yet I have said absolutely NOTHING about climate change.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Oh yes, this thread IS about how much you gave or did. You opened that box by criticizing people who generously gave their time and talent to DO SOMETHING, so, we are simply asking you what YOU did since you seem so interested in the subject.

My guess is, you haven't done squat, you just like to berate others. Thank God for the celebrities who thought enough of others to get off their asses and do something.
It is mostly Public Relations to look good. These celebrities are filty rich and have more than any one person needs. The greedy who asks millions to make a movie. Then the average Joe has to spend plenty to go see a movie. Years ago I paid 9 cents to go to the matinee on the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies