Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 01:43 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,104 times

Advertisements

It's amusing watching so many Democrats attack the idea of working together in a bi-partisan manner. That Trump, a life long Democrat & major Democrat donor, who ran on many traditional Democratic platforms is working with the D's is no shocker. Many of us said when he was sworn in that he'd end up being the most centrist president of our lifetimes. Look at what he ran on: Returning manufacturing jobs to the US. Helping coal miners, farmers & blue collar workers. Ending unfair trade deals. Securing our borders. Less militarism. Infrastructure spending. These are all issues the left used to own, but have somewhat abandoned. It seemed pretty obvious to me that Trump was going to have to work with the D's, his former party, to get these things done. It's fair to take a "believe it when I see it" attitude, but to attack him, name call and root against bi-partisan legislature because it would be good for the country is irrational and unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 02:09 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,461 times
Default Schumer, Pelosi, Trump 'agree' to fix DACA, reform immigration 'excluding' border wall

Can any Resistanceā„¢ fighters here tell me if this makes Chuck and Nancy nazis?

Old 09-14-2017, 02:20 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,222,211 times
The rabid sector of the Right Wing, will be going nuts. They prefer, hate promotion at any expense and promoting some 'race based bigoted agenda. They can't stand it to see Trump pivot on any item.
But what they fail to get is.. Trump slammed Republican in his campaign as well. So.. they are not what they think they are, and Trumps agenda may well not be what they think either. Trump is still about "money", and many should realize, that Trump got where he is and what he's got, because of a "reputation of getting money". Not because of being political or one who is educated in politics or governance.
It still comes down to the $$$ and which ever way that he can turn to promote more of his $$$ based agenda is the direction he will go.
He does know this.. If he can work on Democratic Items, and gain enough support to get 2-4-5 or more Democratic votes, then he can push if "x" number of republicans back out, and still have the votes for various items. Plus he would get recognition for "bipartisan progress", which is far more valuable, than pandering for the sake of the extreme rabid elements of his base, he knows some in his camp are not rabid right to the extreme, so time, events and things will force him to push more to the center because "far right" is limited in being what it is.
Thus so, when it comes to "money and the pursuits of money based items", Trump has never been about anything "free" to anyone, he will come to call and seek to collect on both sides, from Republican and from Democrats. That's has always been his process, is play both side and build up credits, so one can as needed call in favors.

The Wall was never to be what it was promoted, that was understood when he asked the Mexico President not to discuss it, that is simply something that appeals to the race bias bigots. Many of these Race Bias people will go into panic mode again, when they find out that "Real Immigration Reform", will also kick out some of the white race people from various white race dominant countries, who are here illegally. Also when criterion is developed for Real Immigration Reform, it may well pose a challenge to some from white dominated countries, as there is a mass of non white race country people who are very knowledgeable and highly skilled in the new age of technology, and they will compete for access. Some of these people are skilled at tech assembly and testing, because for 2-3 decades they have been building and assembling technology components and their level of competency is quite high, considering the volume of variations they have assembled technology.
The people who collect this data on such things, are well aware of those factors... and that data is not absent from those in the political arena. Some know... they cannot craft race based policies, and because of that fact, when it comes to broad based competition for citizenship, it might well not work out to the expected dominance some race bias people desire, of having more people from predominantly white ethnicity immigrating to America. The likely hood is that it will be a collective of people, with many from many non white dominated countries.

This however may be well and good for America, because it expands the diversity within America.

As time changes over the coming years and decades- change will diminish the far Right Winger Ideology from being such a contrite element of damaging consequences in the American landscape of society and politics that drive the system of governance. Time has proven this to be the pathway of the nation. From what mentality existed in the early 1900's through the 1960's, as to modern Centuries America. Since the 1960's the elements of diversity has become more broadly common in much of America, and American Policies are "Today, closer to the Constitution's Premise and Principles", than ever before in American History.

When the Reform comes, the timing will be right, where it can be done on a humane and fair basis. Not driven to be rushed into process simply because the race bias and bigoted want to push their agenda.

With Bannon gone, Trump is not caught in the spin that Bannon promoted, when already those whom he does listen to, did not cater to Bannon, such as his Son in Law and his daughter. So... those are dynamics that may well have some elements of change in his ideology.
Bannon is angry, because he could not push his Brand Message and dominate as he though, so the more he attacks from the outside, the more it is likely to push Trump away from the thought of need to pander to the rabid right, but then too, Bannon is pushing at the rabid right as well, because what they aspire to does not fit the model of Bannon's ideas. The battle(s) of ideologies is in full display, at some point it has to come to a point where it is clear and evident, that the ideology will default back to the Constitution, and from there it can only go forward with Diversity as the Premise, and to promote America Democracy, that means Equality.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 09-14-2017 at 02:40 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 03:36 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That would be very interesting, indeed, and no one could even complain about it, as he DID promise health care for all while he was campaigning. Makes one wonder...
Yep.

Bernie Sanders' bill that he's introducing is the closest thing that any one has introduced or will in the near future that actually resembles what Trump campaigned on.

And it does meet the mark. It would act as a repeal and replacement of Obamacare as well as creating a more cost effective system.

I heard Sanders speaking on the radio this morning; he noted that public health programs, such as medicare, are obviously not without flaw, but a huge thing that drives cost up is the bureaucracy involving in juggling hundreds of private healthcare plans. His plan would eliminate that clutter. He also noted that public healthcare programs are rated much higher than private healthcare plans overall, despite media claims saying otherwise (I've not confirmed that, but I believe it; I know other countries that have similar public options often complain about flaws in their system, but ask any of them if they'd trade it for what Americans have... tells you a lot).

The coming healthcare debates will be yet another time for Trump to prove he gives a damn. He's had many chances and preformed rather poorly in the past; maybe this time will be different... I won't hold my breath.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:16 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Have said this before; DT is a megalmanic who loves nothing better than to see his name plastered upon anything that does not move.

It is nearly one year into his so called presidency and despite controlling both houses of Congress the republican party has not produced a single piece of major legislation for His Orangeness to put his name upon. Well if you can't get your dessert at home, there is always the house across the street!

Do not give whole or even major credit to his shifting of politics to His Orangeness alone, but rather the more sane and rational of his handlers and advisors that are seeing which way winds are blowing.

GOP party in Washington, D.C. has been in disarray for over eight years. They behave more like fractions of warring tribes rather than a cohesive political unit. As such even with a (so called) republican POTUS they are getting nothing done.

Proof of just how bad things are for GOP in Congress is their failure to do the one thing they have tried and bragged about for over seven years; repeal Obamacare/ACA. That hot mess and fall out from same must have had DT along with his handlers finally waking up to the fact they are dealing with a bunch of egits.

As also have said DT wants nothing more than to be a two term POTUS. Unless things start happening now and into 2018 the road to victory in 2020 maybe a very bumpy one indeed. Like many other things DT likely does not give a rat's behind about anyone else; but *HE* needs to show that things were done to prop up his end.

At this point His Orangeness and his people are counting on the fact the "Trump base" such as it is, is non-partisan and will take wins anyway they can get them. That is if getting into bed with the Pelosi woman and Charles Schumer (two persons highly detested by much of the hard right GOP base), is what it takes to get things done, so be it.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
It's amusing watching so many Democrats attack the idea of working together in a bi-partisan manner. That Trump, a life long Democrat & major Democrat donor, who ran on many traditional Democratic platforms is working with the D's is no shocker. Many of us said when he was sworn in that he'd end up being the most centrist president of our lifetimes. Look at what he ran on: Returning manufacturing jobs to the US. Helping coal miners, farmers & blue collar workers. Ending unfair trade deals. Securing our borders. Less militarism. Infrastructure spending. These are all issues the left used to own, but have somewhat abandoned. It seemed pretty obvious to me that Trump was going to have to work with the D's, his former party, to get these things done. It's fair to take a "believe it when I see it" attitude, but to attack him, name call and root against bi-partisan legislature because it would be good for the country is irrational and unreasonable.
Nah...none of you said that, and YOU especially didn't say it. Forgetaboutit! It never happened.

All of you were giddy about Trump working solely with the Republican Congress to ram through a radical agenda. Trump made it clear to McConnell that the Senate was to run over the Democrats at every turn possible. He wasn't interested in Dem votes or Dem advocacy for his agenda. He wanted Obamacare repealed and replaced with NO Democratic participation. He only cried about Democrats not helping out when the repeal failed.

You're changing the narrative because Trump has failed miserably with his "Republican Majority Only" agenda. You didn't expect nor did you want bipartisanship. Hell, you still don't, and you're seething at the thought of it.

So please, fess up and stop frontin'.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:06 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
There aren't more Democrats than Republicans unhappy with the liason.....

But Trump supporters-- oh my drink that kool-aid.

If we had said six months ago allw e wanted was for Trump to roll in the swamp with Democrats -- we would have been blasted. Triggered an outrage never before seen.

Now -- it's all part of that plan....this is what it (campaign) was all about. Trump always meant to work WITH the opposition to get things done. It was all about working with everyone.

Mwahahaha -- nice try. you spin right round baby right round.

Look -- it's a good thing -- it's what I want...but the sudden chorus from Trumpsters saying they knew all along this was the plan -- full of swamp water......just saying....

Old 09-14-2017, 07:08 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,645,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I know people think he's walking back the "DACA deal" but... IDK... his tweets certainly sound like he's leaning towards DACA. When he says "no amnesty," I suspect it's gonna be one of those, "technically amnesty is XYZ and giving them permanent residency is not amnesty" linguistic technicalities.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...76308265795585
Seems you do mr ,trump.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:16 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah...none of you said that, and YOU especially didn't say it. Forgetaboutit! It never happened.

All of you were giddy about Trump working solely with the Republican Congress to ram through a radical agenda. Trump made it clear to McConnell that the Senate was to run over the Democrats at every turn possible. He wasn't interested in Dem votes or Dem advocacy for his agenda. He wanted Obamacare repealed and replaced with NO Democratic participation. He only cried about Democrats not helping out when the repeal failed.

You're changing the narrative because Trump has failed miserably with his "Republican Majority Only" agenda. You didn't expect nor did you want bipartisanship. Hell, you still don't, and you're seething at the thought of it.

So please, fess up and stop frontin'.

N-A-I-L-E-D~I-T!!!!!!!

Old 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Schumer, Pelosi, Trump 'agree' to fix DACA, reform immigration 'excluding' border wall - CNNPolitics

I love Trump, he gets things done and willing to work with whoever is ready. I told you Trump was going to work a deal with DACA in a legislative way in return for more border security. Now we have stronger border laws and then hopefully Reiublicans are willing to fund money for a wall. Trump is very smart and I think we can see good things continue to come from some of which Democrats will like and some Republicans will like, still most things will appeal to Republicans as expected though.
I don't know if it has been said already in this thread, but this is not "bi-partisan".

This is Trump having to side with Democrats because he pissed off McConnell so badly that he has no party support in either house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies