Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 06:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,824,322 times

Advertisements

In Washington State this time. A sophmore who had been toying with the idea and playing with guns forever.

This is the scariest situation for me. How does a kid like that get guns like that?

He's a sophmore, he shouldn't have access to guns. Where are his parents?

Why didn't someone report his actions to the police?

Why did they just report it to the school?

As Americans we freak out about a terrorist attack in London and don't even really acknowledge this event.

WHAT? What is wrong with us.

I'm not asking for all gun owners to have to have more restrictions but I do wonder how this kid got his guns, what kind of parents, system allows this to happen.

Way too many school shootings in our country for us to be ignoring this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 06:59 AM

13,677 posts, read 8,943,174 times
If this is the same shooting I'm thinking of, the 15 year old got the weapons from his father (I assume they were not locked away or, being 15, he had a copy of the key or combination).

On the news last night they showed videos this youth (soon to be certified an adult, I bet) 'practicing' with toy guns. He also had been undergoing psychiatric care, if I recall. The young man that died had tried to stop him (his first weapon jammed), and the rampage was finally stopped by the school janitor.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:01 AM

5,751 posts, read 2,756,695 times
Now is not the time to talk about guns.
There, got that done.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Now is not the time to talk about guns.
There, got that done.
um yes. What kind of culture have we created that parents with a child under psychiatric care allow their kids access to guns?

It isn't normal people.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:03 AM

44,996 posts, read 26,148,796 times
Another shooting in a state run, gun free zone. I wonder what meds he was on?

Old 09-15-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Another shooting in a state run, gun free zone. I wonder what meds he was on?
This whole gun free zone argument in a country where we can freely cross state and county boundaries is stupid.

And why if he is on meds do we allow a culture where he has access to guns. The parents obviously weren't educated enough about guns, mental illness, whatever.

There is something wrong that we aren't more concerned about this.

It's time for parents, schools, the NRA, our government to have open dialogue about all of this.

It is obvious some parents are ignorant, naive, whatever -- so let's work to educate, and prevent.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:13 AM

44,996 posts, read 26,148,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This whole gun free zone argument in a country where we can freely cross state and county boundaries is stupid.

And why if he is on meds do we allow a culture where he has access to guns. The parents obviously weren't educated enough about guns, mental illness, whatever.

There is something wrong that we aren't more concerned about this.

It's time for parents, schools, the NRA, our government to have open dialogue about all of this.

It is obvious some parents are ignorant, naive, whatever -- so let's work to educate, and prevent.
Why is such a mentally unstable student in govt school where he can harm the rest? Close the govt indocternation centers.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why is such a mentally unstable student in govt school where he can harm the rest? Close the govt indocternation centers.

Millions of kids in those indocternation (that's not a word but I will use it so you know what I'm saying) centers and they don't have any desire to shoot and kill.

I truly respect gun ownership as a right in this country. It is a symbol of freedom for so many. I do not support taking guns away but I would like an honest attempt to help address the problems we have with gun ownership in this country.

Addressing mental illness, education, etc. are all part of it and all are important -- not just taking away access to guns.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:19 AM

50,059 posts, read 46,599,133 times
We have little concern about root cause. In this case (again) it appears to be bullying. Too much light on the tool of the crime vs why they do it.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,431,561 times
I expect we will continue to see mass shootings like this until new drastic new gun laws are enacted, which I have a sneaky feeling, is the goal all along.

Its utterly amazing to me how soooo many people can be conditioned to the point they would give up or change constitutional freedoms for the sake of security/ safety! That is tyranny right out in the open, but its being done in a way where majority of people will welcome it with open arms, its really a great accomplishment if you think about it, what better way to ensure there is NEVER another revolution in this country?...simple, make everyone believe tyranny is in their best interest! LOL

Ive said on another thread, if England had used this same 'tactic', there never would have been an american revolution, they would have just convinced everyone a monarchy was best for them, everything was being done for their safety and security, even if it didnt seem like it.

Its something the founding fathers could not have foreseen and guarded against either, its basically brainwashing the public into taking the side of Govt/ authority, I have to give them credit what they have achieved, it has definitely succeeded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies