Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 12:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I know, right. That was actually my first job when I was about that age too. Mow lawns in the summer and scoop snow in the winter. $3.00 a piece. Trailer parks were a gold mine for this type of job. But I'd occasionally get those trailer park dwellers who'd turn a yard mowing into including a bunch of other chores around the house like taking out trash, doing a sink full of dirty dishes, etc. but all for the same $3.00 that I originally was paid to mow the lawn. Yeah, but I was also the only 13 year old kid on the block who paid about 90% of his hobby expenses (radio controlled airplanes, fishing gear, little sail boat, telescope, metal detector, cb radio, etc.etc.)
My millennial son cut grass when he was in Grade 5. It funded his paint ball hobby.

He's always been an entrepreneur -- lol.....meaning resourceful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
When reading the hateful and pathetic responses of some liberals on this forum, particularly on this thread, a question arises.

At what point does the unhinged left dial it back? Or is it going to end in more assassination attempts like the one on Steve Scalise?
Realistic -- a little cynical isn't being hateful -- just keeping it real.

All those stories where the kids are something special for what they do - meh -- lots like them in the world...and they are who they are because their parents are pretty spectacular people.

My son says to me -- I am going to write to the President to ask to cut the Rose Garden I'm going to brush it off.....suggest he does something local because it isn't realistic -- lol.

Yeah I am that cynical parent.

So kudos the parents of the kid.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:06 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
A publicity nugget for the Trumpster. WTG kid!

Now every kid in the USA who cuts grass (and there are thousands of them) is going to want to do the same.
All these kids must be in the Midwest and general area. I know here in the bay area of Cali, no one, I mean absolutely no one cuts their own grass anymore, let alone a kid cutting grass for a couple of bucks during the summer time. In fact the only people I see cutting grass and doing yard work are either middle aged home owners or pickups full of guys who show up to: mow, blow, and go.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Realistic -- a little cynical isn't being hateful -- just keeping it real.

All those stories where the kids are something special for what they do - meh -- lots like them in the world...and they are who they are because their parents are pretty spectacular people.

My son says to me -- I am going to write to the President to ask to cut the Rose Garden I'm going to brush it off.....suggest he does something local because it isn't realistic -- lol.

Yeah I am that cynical parent.

So kudos the parents of the kid.
You are not a member of the unhinged left. One of about five liberals on this forum who isn't.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:17 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
All these kids must be in the Midwest and general area. I know here in the bay area of Cali, no one, I mean absolutely no one cuts their own grass anymore, let alone a kid cutting grass for a couple of bucks during the summer time. In fact the only people I see cutting grass and doing yard work are either middle aged home owners or pickups full of guys who show up to: mow, blow, and go.
Well of course. That's one of the prime jobs for new illegals in CA and why Bay area residents love them so much and would never even consider having some kid mow a lawn so the kid could make extra money.
BTW, this kid in the story is in Virginia, not the Midwest. Yes, people who don't live in states saturated with illegals still do things like mow lawns or higher Americans to do it.

Last edited by marino760; 09-15-2017 at 12:28 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 12:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Did he have licensure? Was the mower EPA compliant? Child labor?
Did anyone check his papers?
He offered to mow " for free" and was not compensated.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:42 PM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
And he got big advertising.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
That is true. As more and more households have everyone working outside the home, more often than not there is a crew to cut the grass. My oldest was that crew in one of our neighborhoods. They just undercut what the landscapers were charging.

I cut the grass at our house. I like it.

But yeah -- more and more crews these days.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:49 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Did he have licensure? Was the mower EPA compliant? Child labor?
Did anyone check his papers?
So much red tape...so little time to steal money to fund it.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Every Thursay and Friday in my neck of the woods ( 40 miles NW of Chicago) is flooded with landscapers. Every one of them appears Hispanic. The more affluent the local area, the more likely the homeowner is to contract out for lawn services, no matter what part of the country.

There is an unspoken understanding that hiring local kids does not work out well. They expect to be compensated at the same rate as a professional landscaping company and want cash. As the season persists, kids tend to lose interest and don't show. Kids parents make excuses. It's just awkward.

Commercial landscapers who provide services to commercial accounts tend to rely on H2B seasonal workers.

The company that takes care of my HOA's common grounds is one of them. When asked why their labor force was entirely Hispanic,the response was that the season begins in April and concludes in late October- early November and conflicts with school schedules. More importantly, they said it's about dependability. The non- Hispanic workers they hired did not show or tended to be hung over, when they did. They added that most of their employees were second- third generation, US citizens and English was their first language.

They pay $12-15/ hr. for basic landscaping to start. The drivers and foreman earn more. They carry liability and Workers Comp insurance.

If a mower spits out a stone that takes someone's eye out, the landscaper's insurance is first in line to cover medical expenses and any litigation that may occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies