Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 02:12 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Correction: Because they don't watch him AT ALL. In fact, those people NEVER watched even one minute of his show/talk/speech.
yeah probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 02:14 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,931,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I'm actually just under 30, but I take that as a compliment! Well, I recognize that it was starting with my generation that protecting people's feelings became so important that it resulted in shutting down (or perhaps shutting out to be more accurate) ideas that people don't want to hear. Hell, people at my alma mater complained when DAVID BROOKS spoke at our commencement....David Brooks! Probably about as centrist a conservative as you can get.

My hope is that the next generation, the kids in high school now, rebel against this, bring in some anti-PC swagger and put an end to this overly sensitive "I'm not listening" anti free speech garbage.

I generally lean left on most issues, but I'm deeply disappointed with some of our cultural problems. The political correctness, the "safe spaces", our moral relativism with other cultures...Antifa might even be what you'd call the extreme outgrowth of safe spaces. "We're not just going to shut you out and cover our ears, we're now going to shut you up!" Smh...discourse is the way to go.
All absolutely right. I'm one of those people that still returns to my alma mater every year so this issue is near and dear to my heart.

I've changed so many positions because of a friend with a rational argument. Why would anyone, left or right, want to limit discourse? There is a reason free speech came first in the Bill of Rights.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:16 PM

16,876 posts, read 10,539,064 times
They are very afraid that he will run for president after Trump, so they need to start the character assassination early. I have heard a lot of what he has to say, and, like most people that the Left labels as "racist", he has never said anything racist.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:17 PM

well, I read a post of a Liberal on the internet, he said

He (Shapiro) seems very intelligent, and I would like to test my liberal ideas in the crucible of his talents. I figure if my opinions could survive a debate with him, then they have withstood the strongest challenge that conservatives have to offer, and are very likely correct. And if they fail to survive when put to the test, then I will simply stop believing in them, and become a conservative myself.

I think this is a good attitude. Shapiro won't waste people's time at least, unlike Zoey Tur. Shapiro will never say something like "you are a little man" "you need to shut up, or I will send you home with an ambulance" "you are full of hate"

Old 09-15-2017, 02:19 PM

23,446 posts, read 17,113,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Can someone name any actual white supremacist things he said or did?
Latest default label used by the liberals, all the rage these days.

The '____ist' du jour.

They need not worry the media propaganda machine will back them either with silence or spurious comments.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:21 PM

13,631 posts, read 20,722,659 times
Quote:
Hey look, I'm not going to argue that. On the left, we do have a free speech problem, a problem whose origin in my opinion is on college campuses. As a liberal, I acknowledge that's definitely one of the flaws we have in our side of the aisle, at least culturally.

Though my exposure has been limited, Ben Shapiro, from what I can tell, is a very smart guy and a great debater, so I can see why a lot of young liberals on these college campuses, with their little "safe spaces", find him threatening. But they need to get over that. Berkeley hosting him I think is something that needs to happen. Of all places college campuses should be where people can have a free exchange of ideas.

However, this notion that he's being smeared by the left as a white supremacist is a false narrative.
Well, a reasonable retort.

I did find this: Activists Smear Shapiro Before Berkeley Speec | The Daily Caller

The left tars anyone they disagree with as racist and after Charlottesville, calling people White Supremacist is now growing. Kind of like how Conservatives (and not a few liberals) used to smear people as Commies.

As for me, I never heard of Shapiro until this week.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:24 PM

This is what he believes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTrS8GJx-Z0

Old 09-15-2017, 02:24 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,261,506 times
Quote:
Can you link us to said "smearing" by "the left"?
Disclaimer: I already said "not all leftists."

With that said, let's look at what some of the protestors were writing and distributing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCV3zPXrygg

And here's Tim Pool's documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHW_a5FKDfg

And here are the banners that were all across the Berkeley campus: https://s3.amazonaws.com/campusrefor...apiroFlyer.jpg

Old 09-15-2017, 02:26 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,931,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Disclaimer: I already said "not all leftists."

With that said, let's look at what some of the protestors were writing and distributing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCV3zPXrygg

And here's Tim Pool's documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHW_a5FKDfg

And here are the banners that were all across the Berkeley campus: https://s3.amazonaws.com/campusrefor...apiroFlyer.jpg
This is why our liberal friends who share our appreciation of free speech need to stand up and be heard. Those kids don't listen to "racists" like us.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:27 PM

Just let the guy talk.

Doesn't seem that hard to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies