Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 01:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Those things can't harm you because your IQ is bigger than your waist size. On the other hand, the perpetually offended losers that do think that they're harmed somehow will always find something to cry about. The inevitable backlash should be enormous when the "Posterity" mentioned in the Preamble to the Constitution have finally had enough!
Pffffffft....black folks have been living with White backlash for centuries in this country. What...got something new up your sleeve that we haven't seen yet? Murder? Lynching? Internment Camps? Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Technically they weren't going there to eat. I doubt any of the Civil Rights activists would have been so stupid to actually eat a meal that a known bigoted restaurant owner had made. It was about defeating Jim Crow and the government made regulations even though no ones rights were violated. Quite a few businesses were forced to follow Jim Crow against their will.
Ehhhh....in the South? I ain't too sure about that "against their will" statement. Not according to my family members who lived through it. And I trust their accounts.

Quote:
LOL....oh please Mr. Mariner, please don't call me the "S" word. It might hurt my widdle feelings. LOL. It's always just about you, isn't it? You don't want to see something so it needs to be removed. You want to be somewhere so the hell with anybody else, right? That girl went into that place for one reason - to cause problems. That's all! This country has bent over backwards to appease selfish, childish behavior. After decades in the USAF I've seen it all when it comes to the failed diversity, multicultural experiment. It sucks and at some point I'd think there will be a helluva backlash. But you and yours just carry on acting like children.
The country SHOULD have bent over backwards. Damn right. And since your overarching theme is backlash today, why don't you you just go find some of your black Air Force colleagues and give them a personal taste of that backlash that you're so fond of talking about? I wish I could meet up with you and get an example of it myself.

BTW... Do your black Air Force colleagues know that you think of them in this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
It wasn't hurting anyone, and a poll that was taken showed that most people didn't care if it was up or not, or wanted it left alone. The City Council put it to a vote and made the decision among themselves, just to placate the rabble.

The money that was spend removing the statue could have been better spent. Take a look at the homeless in this city and tell me the removal of a stupid statue was more important than helping the homeless - many of whom are black.

By removing a statue you can't remove the fact that slavery existed. No one alive today was a slave or a slaveholder. Time to let these old resentments go.
So you're admitting that the Civil War was about slavery? Good. Then you also realize that people who betray our country shouldn't have statues in public places that are taxpayer funded. What's next...statues of Benedict Arnold?

Sure, the money could have been spent to help the homeless, but is that REALLY what you wanted to do with that 400k, or are you just blowing Smoke because you're a neo-Confederate that worships Lee?

We've dropped trillions on wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Have you suggested that we use that money for the homeless too?

Quote:
I won't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't care to go into a restaurant or anywhere else where I wasn't wanted.
Right. Easy to say when you belong to the group that knows that they'll NEVER face discrimination and won't be treated as a second class citizen.

It's human nature to desire the things that one can't have. And yes, that includes you unless you're an alien.

You're an apologist for Jim Crow. Just say that and quit twisting like a pretzel.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:20 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Are you black?
Ultimately irrelevant. The only relevancy is that I made a claim and it's true or false based on its own merits or demerits - not because of the person who said them. At best that's a flaw in logic called a genetic fallacy (no relation to DNA despite the name), an outright ad hominem at worst. But if my race is THAT big a concern to you, here it goes.

I'm not being sarcastic or ironic when I say this but ...

I'm very much a white multi-generational Southerner.
Mississippi family background besides (the clear majority of it, in fact).
Middle class background, grew up in a small town in north Louisiana (more Mississippi than Cajun country or New Orleans, FYI).
Even went to a private "academy" besides.
Never had residence outside Louisiana until I was 26, about 23 years ago, going on 24.
Never lived outside a former Confederate state (and no, I never lived in Virginia or Florida, or even Georgia or North Carolina either).
Literally 90% of the white population in my hometown parish votes republican and for "marriage amendments" (when applicable) in practically every election for federal, state, and even local office. Ditto with ballot measures concerning hot-potato social issues.
On top of all that, my grandfather was a Southern Baptist deacon (yes, g'parents and my family grew up in the same town, too).

Yet, for all that, I now lean to the center-left -- especially on social issues. How's that for defying stereotypes

ADDED: So while I may not be Black, I've been around a lot of them in my life, and I hear what they talk about at work, in the break room, and so forth. At the very least, I can tell you what I heard Blacks say about a lot of political matters. That's gotta count for something, right?

Old 09-17-2017, 01:20 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Agree, but considering the average IQ of those so vocal about it, not surprising! Somebody should probably tell them that the war has been over for a century and a half. LOL. They're still looking for Jim Crow! Look, there he is! There he is over there. Hurry, get him! Most people can just not look at something that is so offensive, but not them! They don't care if somebody else may have a different opinion. Only their opinion matters. Bunch of bigots and black supremacist!
Yes, the war has been over for 152 years. And the Confederates lost the war. The people flying the Confederate flags need to get over it. Erecting the Confederate statues does not constitute "getting over it". No one is "looking for Jim Crow". We know its over. Those statues of Confederates should have come down in the first place. Actually, they should have never gone up. Taking those statues down is acknowledging this.

And if us who oppose Confederate statues and Confederate flags are such low IQ, why are we the ones showing proof of what the Confederates cause was about?

And your "black supremacist comment, show us how we are "Black supremacists". Show us. I show you where I get my information. You show me. And nothing from Inforwars or Alex Jones.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Ultimately irrelevant. The only relevancy is that I made a claim and it's true or false based on its own merits or demerits - not because of the person who said them. At best that's a flaw in logic called a genetic fallacy (no relation to DNA despite the name), an outright ad hominem at worst. But if my race is THAT big a concern to you, here it goes.

I'm not being sarcastic or ironic when I say this but ...

I'm very much a white multi-generational Southerner.
Mississippi family background besides (the clear majority of it, in fact).
Middle class background, grew up in a small town in north Louisiana (more Mississippi than Cajun country or New Orleans, FYI).
Even went to a private "academy" besides.
Never had residence outside Louisiana until I was 26, about 23 years ago, going on 24.
Never lived outside a former Confederate state (and no, I never lived in Virginia or Florida, or even Georgia or North Carolina either).
Literally 90% of the white population in my hometown parish votes republican and for "marriage amendments" (when applicable) in practically every election for federal, state, and even local office. Ditto with ballot measures concerning hot-potato social issues.
On top of all that, my grandfather was a Southern Baptist deacon (yes, g'parents and my family grew up in the same town, too).

Yet, for all that, I now lean to the center-left -- especially on social issues. How's that for defying stereotypes
This is just how I see it. You gave an important point. However, there are those that disagree with it. Bringing up race in this cause was a straw man argument. When one cannot refute the argument, deflection is the next course of action.

It is better for said person to just say "I disagree".

Old 09-17-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Pffffffft....black folks have been living with White backlash for centuries in this country. What...got something new up your sleeve that we haven't seen yet? Murder? Lynching? Internment Camps? Lol

Ehhhh....in the South? I ain't too sure about that "against their will" statement. Not according to my family members who lived through it. And I trust their accounts.

The country SHOULD have bent over backwards. Damn right. And since your overarching theme is backlash today, why don't you you just go find some of your black Air Force colleagues and give them a personal taste of that backlash that you're so fond of talking about? I wish I could meet up with you and get an example of it myself.

BTW... Do your black Air Force colleagues know that you think of them in this way?

So you're admitting that the Civil War was about slavery? Good. Then you also realize that people who betray our country shouldn't have statues in public places that are taxpayer funded. What's next...statues of Benedict Arnold?

Sure, the money could have been spent to help the homeless, but is that REALLY what you wanted to do with that 400k, or are you just blowing Smoke because you're a neo-Confederate that worships Lee?

We've dropped trillions on wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Have you suggested that we use that money for the homeless too?

Right. Easy to say when you belong to the group that knows that they'll NEVER face discrimination and won't be treated as a second class citizen.

It's human nature to desire the things that one can't have. And yes, that includes you unless you're an alien.

You're an apologist for Jim Crow. Just say that and quit twisting like a pretzel.
Anyone with an understanding of American history understand the Confederate cause. Anyone understanding right from wrong will not endorse that cause, either publicly or in an implicit manner. However, some people do not change. Some people want to see the old days of Jim Crow and the Antebellum South come back. And this segues into your last statement. It is not socially acceptable to come out and say "I want Jim Crow back". We know what it's about and it's morally wrong. However, some people will keep thinking that way. The reason some people will keep twisting it is to make it look like "it wasn't so bad".

Old 09-17-2017, 01:37 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default Dallas removes Robert E Lee statue from city park

It's really simple, people have become a bunch of cry babies who are offended by the stupidest things, at some point everybody is offended by something so we will have to remove all statues historical, religious and anything else people should be ashamed to be such weak childish babies, grown people acting like a spoiled 2 year old.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It's really simple, people have become a bunch of cry babies who are offended by the stupidest things, at some point everybody is offended by something so we will have to remove all statues historical, religious and anything else people should be ashamed to be such weak childish babies, grown people acting like a spoiled 2 year old.
Go ahead and call it what you want. I have historical facts on my side. If you don't want those statues to come down, if you agree with what it stands for, just come out and admit it. At least I will know what to do from there.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:47 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Go ahead and call it what you want. I have historical facts on my side. If you don't want those statues to come down, if you agree with what it stands for, just come out and admit it. At least I will know what to do from there.
A statue can't hurt you and that is the only fact there is, if it hurts you then you are the problem not the statue and that is a fact. People need to grow up. Please feel free to show us where the big bad statue hurt you.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

The country SHOULD have bent over backwards. Damn right. And since your overarching theme is backlash today, why don't you you just go find some of your Air Force colleagues and give them a personal taste of that backlash that you're so fond of talking about? I wish I could meet up with you and get an example of it myself.

With all the programs, benefits, Affirmative Action, numerous organizations, etc specifically for blacks and to the exclusion of others, what discrimination are you referring too? If anybody can't succeed with that hand-holding assistance they never will and it's nobody's fault but their own.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
A statue can't hurt you and that is the only fact there is, if it hurts you then you are the problem not the statue and that is a fact. People need to grow up. Please feel free to show us where the big bad statue hurt you.
It's not about whether or not a statue can hurt me. It is about what that statue endorses and stands for. How hard is that for you to figure out? Or do you not care?

You calling people names contradicts what you say about me needing to "grow up".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies