Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2017, 08:30 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,071,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Sorry, guilty. But I don't think it turned into a circus, it just turned into a wider discussion about pet ownership. Maybe a bit outside the scope in some ways but not irrelevant.

It's probably because by itself it's not a very controversial event. I agree with California's decision as I think most people do. I mean who has advocated for puppy mills on here?
It is, surprisingly, one of the few threads here in P&OC with an issue that both sides agree on--that puppy mills are bad. In this forum that makes this thread a definite win. I'd like to see other states follow suit. Shelter animals are so deserving of good homes, and they really do make the best pets because they know you took them from a terrible place. They never forget it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 08:34 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,094,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The best way you can do for an animal is to let it live the life they want to live!

Stop being an arrogant human and stop thinking you know what's good for the animals! You don't.
Projection disorder.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:42 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Projection disorder.
Again, if one truly cares about animals, he wouldn't own one because owning pet is the very driving force behind many animals suffering.

No pets, no animal shelters, no puppy mills, no straits.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:45 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It is, surprisingly, one of the few threads here in P&OC with an issue that both sides agree on--that puppy mills are bad. In this forum that makes this thread a definite win. I'd like to see other states follow suit. Shelter animals are so deserving of good homes, and they really do make the best pets because they know you took them from a terrible place. They never forget it.
What most people don't realize is that most of the largest cities in CA already had ordinances not allowing pet stores to sell puppies. The state legislature made it state wide so pet stores couldn't open shop just outside city limits and continue the practice.
It still surprises me that some people still think their purebred pet store puppy didn't come from a puppy mill. There is zero chance of that.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:50 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Only problem I have with this is it could be the end of pure bred dogs. Not that many Pugs or French Bulldogs are rescue dogs😟🐕
They will be just fine. Some want pure breeds and will pay the money. I absolutely love French Bulldogs...but if I want a dog I will get it from a rescue.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
They will be just fine. Some want pure breeds and will pay the money. I absolutely love French Bulldogs...but if I want a dog I will get it from a rescue.
It will actually benefit the dog breeds because they won't be mass produced resulting in poorly bred dogs with genetic health issues and temperament issues.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:03 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Is this a serious question?
I ask because it all boils down to whether you believe the nanny state should dictate every aspect of a free people lives. CA likely has more rules, regulations and laws than any other state in America.
To think that they would impose such a restriction on commerce and peoples choice to buy the type of pet they like, is frankly absurd.

But lets take the liberal cradle to grave politics out of it for a moment. Here is a practical story that might make some sense to those who would gladly give more power to the state to control their lives/choices.

I own a breed of dog with a very short life expectancy, on average just 7 years. The reason is typically that it has various maladies that can be bred out, but backyard breeders do not give a flip about having a genetically superior Sire/Dam. Instead they will throw any two dogs together that might be riddled with genetic inferiority.
As it turns out, if you go to a quality breeder who has the best breeding lines, they can almost guarantee a much longer life span, without high vet bills. Thus my last two dogs of this breed have lived 11 1/2 years and the current one is 9 and still acting like a puppy.
If I were to be forced to buy a rescue dog, I would have no clue as to it's lineage, breeding, temperament of the parents, etc., etc.
Thus I could be buying a dig that in the long run could run up huge vet bills, only to die an early death and put my family though heartache. It also might not be suited to be around other pets or people since I cannot evaluate the parents to see what they are like.

Thus I would never buy anything but a pure bred dog. To think that CA wants to force people to do what bureaucrats think is the feel good thing to do once again shows the folly of leftist/liberal Utopian dreams meeting up with practical/pragmatic reality.
So many unintended consequences are spawned from the "best of intentions" or mandated edicts of government, it is enough to drive sane people crazy.

`
You would not be forced to buy a rescue dog. You would have to go to a responsible breeder to get a purebred, and responsible breeders do not sell their dogs to pet stores, anyway.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:07 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Again, if one truly cares about animals, he wouldn't own one because owning pet is the very driving force behind many animals suffering.

No pets, no animal shelters, no puppy mills, no straits.
What the hell is a "strait?" I have seen you use this term several times. Do you mean "stray?"

Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
What the hell is a "strait?" I have seen you use this term several times. Do you mean "stray?"
LOL, I was wondering that too but don't want to feed the troll.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Every slave master had pet slaves.

If your cat is not allowed to leave on its own, it's your slave, and it's why you are called "owner."
Funny because my cat can leave anytime she wants to. She was feral and wild and lived off whatever she could catch for food. She was cold in the winter and didn't always find water in the summer when it was hot. I took her in and gave her a home, a warm bed, plenty of good food and lots of attention.
She's free to leave anytime she wants. But you know what? When she decides to go outside, she sits in the driveway or takes a nap under a bush and then comes right back in on her own because she wants to. She doesn't even cross the street or go next door. She's happy here and perhaps for the first time in her life, someone cares about her and loves her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies