Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2017, 07:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,426,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
What about the people who want a pug or a French bulldog (like myself) but don't have $25k to pay a breeder for one, since this would greatly cut down on the supply of them, what just tough $#/+?
Well, as long as you got what you want - screw those dogs that are tortured and treated like chit for their lives, I guess.

Quote:
My argument isn't making sense?
No, it isn't.

Pugs don't cost $5500 from a reputable breeder. They cost LESS. Lotsa pugs running around everywhere and I guarantee you people aren't paying $5500 to purchase one from a puppy mill - which YOU just did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 07:19 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,496,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, as long as you got what you want - screw those dogs that are tortured and treated like chit for their lives, I guess.

No, it isn't.

Pugs don't cost $5500 from a reputable breeder. They cost LESS. Lotsa pugs running around everywhere and I guarantee you people aren't paying $5500 to purchase one from a puppy mill - which YOU just did.
My pug didn't cost $5,500, my Frenchie did. Reading comprehension is important. My pug was $800.

And I wouldn't even own a dog if I couldn't own the breed I want. So fine, I guess I'm a bad person because I don't value some lab/shepherd mutt or whatever.....

Old 09-17-2017, 07:22 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,014,864 times
More like because you don't value the dog who gave birth to your dog....

Old 09-17-2017, 07:22 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,426,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
More like because you don't value the dog who gave birth to your dog....
Thank you.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:27 PM

6,916 posts, read 3,912,925 times
Quote:
They aren't now, but that could very well happen if most breeders/"puppy mills" get shut down. My pet store Frenchie cost $5,500
I hope it was AKC-registered and you received documentation of its full lineage for that price. Otherwise, you got ripped off.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:33 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,496,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I hope it was AKC-registered and you received documentation of its full lineage for that price. Otherwise, you got ripped off.
It is AKC registered and I did get all documentation

Old 09-17-2017, 07:40 PM

30,197 posts, read 23,599,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It just doesn't make sense though...these same rescues (in my experience) complain about how they can't find a home for the animals, and then have to turn away some of the animals, who then end up in a pound where they end up euthanized.

Isn't it better for the animals to find a home, even if it's that home isn't the ultimate ideal than to insist on absolute perfection and then miss out on so many potentially loving homes for the cats and dogs?

Of course, no compromises should be made on character. But if an apartment dweller is prepared to walk the dog outside several times a day, not having a yard shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Story time:

When I lived in the Everglades, it became apparent to me that a lot of people had the stupid idea that putting a pet "back out in to the wild" was a better choice than finding a rescue or even going to the shelter. I'll never forget one of the cats dumped off out there. We saw the people dump the cat off, but before we realized what had happened, they were down the road.

I was unable to capture the cat in time. The cat was terrorized by being dumped in the middle of nowhere, a place he/she did not know. The cat was running around, wildly, in fear. Unfortunately, it ran right towards a gator. To this day, it still upsets me greatly to even think about it...worst fricken sight I've ever seen. And some people think that's "better" than taking the cat to the local shelter or a rescue.

I said in another post that I rescued a LOT of animals while I lived there because of stupid people like that. I rescued well over 30. I worked with a rescue organization to get the majority adopted to good homes. I worked closely with the lady who volunteered, (not even paid at all), and we had a lot of discussions.

To edit what we talked about, she made it clear to me that while there are very good rescues out there, there were some rescues who used their non profit rescue status as a way to pay their own bills and not have to work.

Being a rescue organization, or part of one, typically doesn't pay well at all. They are non profit, so every dime that goes in to the rescue is used on the rescues. Well, some rescues stretch the meaning of "for the rescue".

They will state that their home is sheltering the animals, so part of that donated money actually goes towards their own rent. They also use it to pay for their electricity, their phone bill, their internet, their car payments, their insurance (since they may transport), gas, maintenance, etc, all under the guise of "it's for the rescued animals".

Yes, you could say that it is for the rescued animals, they do need a place, there does need to be electricity, they do need a phone and internet to contact potential adopters and to inform the public about the rescues. Yes, they do need a car to transport, and insurance to cover the journey, and the gas to get there and back, as well as use the car to go get the strays or abandoned pets they have been made aware of...sure. You could use that argument.

But most people don't donate that money to pay for someone's household expenses. They donate it to buy food for the pet, or toys, blankets, beds, leashes, collars, vaccinations, vet visits, etc.

And yes, those rescues do use some of the money for that, but that's secondary. The more pets they have, the more money they get in donations, and they set up everywhere to get that money from the public. The only thing they would end up paying for is their own entertainment and food to eat. Every other expense that they have can be covered by "it's needed for the rescue".

That is why some rescues hoard animals. They'll adopt some out here and there, to keep 'legit', but they will be militant and absurdly picky because in the end, it doesn't actually end up costing them anything, and, in fact, they have turned it in to a full time job of taking another animal home with them.

This is not all rescues. There are plenty of good rescues out there who do it because they actually care about the animals. Unfortunately, the militant lunatics who use 'non profit rescue' as their income, and hoard animals on their property make the legit, good rescues look bad.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:04 PM

30,197 posts, read 23,599,334 times
Quote:
My pug didn't cost $5,500, my Frenchie did. Reading comprehension is important. My pug was $800.

And I wouldn't even own a dog if I couldn't own the breed I want. So fine, I guess I'm a bad person because I don't value some lab/shepherd mutt or whatever.....
You got ripped off. Your Frenchie should not have cost more than $2000.

Here's the difference between a puppy mill, which is where big chain pet stores buy their pups, and a lot of the smaller mom and pop stores do as well:

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/pet...on-puppy-mills

I wanted to just post the pic but as always, it will just get linked by a mod, instead, so open that link, scroll down to the 3rd pic on that page. THAT is what you're supporting when you buy a pet from a pet store.

Here's more:

https://www.aspca.org/animal-cruelty...ok-puppy-mills

If you manage to get a good dog out of that, consider yourself lucky. And remember, while you got a good one, many others from that puppy mill have suffered, greatly and inhumanely.

And a reputable breeder:

These are the requirements for being a licensed and reputable breeder. I chose TX and Los Angeles as 2 examples.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/bre/brefaq.htm

Breeders Permit | Los Angeles Animal Services

That's a huge difference in how puppy mills (and useless backyard breeders) breed and reputable breeders breed.

Also keep in mind that the Amish are, unfortunately, very well known for their puppy mills.

Puppies 'Viewed as Livestock' in Amish Community, Says Rescue Advocate - ABC News
Quote:
..."People are deceived," Smith said. "They're nice enough and they put down their money and they walk away with a dog and they don't realize that there are 500 dogs in a barn and are suffering horribly. So it's something that people have to be aware of. They have to know that going in. When they buy these dogs, they're keeping that going.
The Puppy Mill Project – Amish Puppy Mills

Quote:
The dogs in these Amish mills are treated like livestock. They will spend their entire lives in a cage, being bred until they can longer produce. The Amish breeders that we have researched may have anywhere from 10 to over 1,000 dogs. These breeding dogs often spend their lives in a barn in stacked cages, only being removed to breed.
Don't support them by buying your purebred dog or cat at a pet store. Get your dog or cat from a reputable breeder if you insist on choosing to have a purebred because you don't want a "stupid mutt".

Old 09-17-2017, 08:10 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,048,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You got ripped off. Your Frenchie should not have cost more than $2000.

Here's the difference between a puppy mill, which is where big chain pet stores buy their pups, and a lot of the smaller mom and pop stores do as well:

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/pet...on-puppy-mills

I wanted to just post the pic but as always, it will just get linked by a mod, instead, so open that link, scroll down to the 3rd pic on that page. THAT is what you're supporting when you buy a pet from a pet store.

Here's more:

https://www.aspca.org/animal-cruelty...ok-puppy-mills

If you manage to get a good dog out of that, consider yourself lucky. And remember, while you got a good one, many others from that puppy mill have suffered, greatly and inhumanely.

And a reputable breeder:

These are the requirements for being a licensed and reputable breeder. I chose TX and Los Angeles as 2 examples.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/bre/brefaq.htm

Breeders Permit | Los Angeles Animal Services

That's a huge difference in how puppy mills (and useless backyard breeders) breed and reputable breeders breed.

Also keep in mind that the Amish are, unfortunately, very well known for their puppy mills.

Puppies 'Viewed as Livestock' in Amish Community, Says Rescue Advocate - ABC News

The Puppy Mill Project – Amish Puppy Mills

Don't support them by buying your purebred dog or cat at a pet store. Get your dog or cat from a reputable breeder if you insist on choosing to have a purebred because you don't want a "stupid mutt".
This is good advice.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:12 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,873,221 times
This law is fantastic and I wish it would spread to the rest of the U.S.

I volunteered in a shelter for a while and it was sad to have to take healthy animals to be euthanized simply because we didn't have room for them.

I'm not one given to showing emotion or reacting easily but cried all the way to the vet we used for euthanasia when I had to take two puppies. I'm not even really a dog person but that one really killed me.

It's selfish to want a purebred when so many adoptable animals are waiting (and dying) in shelters and pounds around the country.

In the shelter I was at, it was not all that uncommon for us to get a purebred dog and once in a while, a purebred cat.

If someone is insistent on a purebred, there are rescues for many purebred dog varieties. My sister got her Boston Terriers through a purebred rescue.

I'll never forget the stupid rich b*tch who brought in a 1-year-old Yorkie and simply said, "I don't want him anymore, because he doesn't match the new living room decor." As the woman was leaving, the dog started making the most pitiful crying and whimpering noises. That Yorkie knew that he was being dumped off...

I was involved with cruelty investigations involving backyard breeders and saw some appalling conditions.

Don't perpetuate the cruelty by buying animals from mills at the pet store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies