Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:54 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Would you be OK if the tables were turned and the hosts spent their night making fun of gays and trans people? It certainly would be easy enough to do.

Then they could segue into Democratic bashing for 45 mins or so. Make fun of them for all the ridiculous material they give us in reality.

I wouldn't watch that either. I don't need to hear it from people like Colbert or O'Donnell or Streep or Deniro...you get the idea.

Trump is someone who deserves being made fun of. Gay and trans people didn't really do anything wrong. That's the difference. You can make a light hearted joke about particular gay/trans people but it has higher standards as they are a group that has been oppressed.

Comedians have made fun of Democrats too. Have you ever watched Bill Maher? He has plenty of jokes about the bad liberals/Democrats and yes I like them too...some jokes miss the mark for me but there are others that do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Trump is someone who deserves being made fun of. Gay and trans people didn't really do anything wrong. That's the difference. You can make a light hearted joke about particular gay/trans people but it has higher standards as they are a group that has been oppressed.

Comedians have made fun of Democrats too. Have you ever watched Bill Maher? He has plenty of jokes about the bad liberals/Democrats and yes I like them too...some jokes miss the mark for me but there are others that do not.
Give me a BREAK! Oppressed?? The imbecility on here never ceases to amaze me. Newsflash: people are over it We are sick of knowing personal details about strangers' lifestyle choices. They have every right the rest of Americans have.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:17 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Give me a BREAK! Oppressed?? The imbecility on here never ceases to amaze me. Newsflash: people are over it We are sick of knowing personal details about strangers' lifestyle choices. They have every right the rest of Americans have.
Well now they do but it was only recently that gay marriage became legal. Also there's still a lot of hatred for gays. The LGBT community has actually committed suicide over bullies so it's been that bad.
Don't forget the shooting in Florida a few years ago at that club.

I'm not saying that gays can't be oversensitive. It has happened to me even as an LGBT ally. I once made a comment on a message board saying "ooh a gay guy" and I had a smile next to it. He got defensive with me after that. Defensiveness has also happened to me with a trans person or two but at the same time I do understand it because it's taken them a lot of time to get here. Plus now the rights that the LGBT had under Obama appears to be getting pulled back so all the progress they have may be erased soon.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Lighten up, he's a comedian.
Too bad he's not funny...

Old 09-18-2017, 11:31 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What hypocrites!

When a conservative celebrity shares their views he's all American...when a liberal celebrity share their views, they are insecure, insensitive, ridiculous.
usually when a conservative celebrity shares their views, it is about the policies of the people in question. they either like them or they dont, but they make it about policy.

when a liberal celebrity shares their views, they make it about the people and how great or evil they are, and say very little about policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus42 View Post
personally I don't like comedians or anyone that think that they can use their forum to attack anyone else. PERIOD! There was a reason I didn't watch the program...
i dont mind comedians making fun of politicians, as long as it is done in good taste. when tina fey mimicked sarah palin, i found the things she did and said funny. i also liked when they were substitute palin for fey on occasion, and really had some fun. it was in good taste.

what i dont like is when comedians get vicious about who they are going after. and it doesnt matter if the are going after trump, hillary, obama, or whom ever, light hearted comedy is fine, viciousness isnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Dang, Colbert really got under the skin of some people. I almost feel that I need to get a cloth and wipe some of the spittle off of my screen. Gee whiz, it is a TV show; why not just ignore it if you don't like it and get on with other things instead of getting so worked up.
to a point you are right, it is a tv show, but again there is a difference between light hearted comedy and vicious attacks, colbert crossed the line.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:38 AM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
This thread is on page 14, so....
Heading toward 17 pages now. The cage has been rattled and it will probably take a while to calm down. Lots of Fire and Fury from some people. I didn't watch the show, but it just might be that this thread is even funnier.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:44 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
usually when a conservative celebrity shares their views, it is about the policies of the people in question. they either like them or they dont, but they make it about policy.

when a liberal celebrity shares their views, they make it about the people and how great or evil they are, and say very little about policy.

i dont mind comedians making fun of politicians, as long as it is done in good taste. when tina fey mimicked sarah palin, i found the things she did and said funny. i also liked when they were substitute palin for fey on occasion, and really had some fun. it was in good taste.

what i dont like is when comedians get vicious about who they are going after. and it doesnt matter if the are going after trump, hillary, obama, or whom ever, light hearted comedy is fine, viciousness isnt.

to a point you are right, it is a tv show, but again there is a difference between light hearted comedy and vicious attacks, colbert crossed the line.
Since I didn't watch it, how did he cross the line?

Old 09-18-2017, 01:29 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,138 times
I didn't watch the show but saw the highlight of Spicers bit. I thought it was pretty funny. People who are upset at this need to chill out.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:34 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I didn't watch the show but saw the highlight of Spicers bit. I thought it was pretty funny. People who are upset at this need to chill out.
I'm embarrassed for these people, talking about how Sean Spicer caused suffering, a CNN reporter actually said that (black lady who is at press conference's) I don't know her name and don't need to. Freakin joke.

So it was ok for SNL to make fun of Spicer for months, but him showing up at the Emmys is disgusting, idiots.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:46 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I'm embarrassed for these people, talking about how Sean Spicer caused suffering, a CNN reporter actually said that (black lady who is at press conference's) I don't know her name and don't need to. Freakin joke.

So it was ok for SNL to make fun of Spicer for months, but him showing up at the Emmys is disgusting, idiots.
I noticed that too. Spicer was just doing his job. But I heard people who were saying "If you're cool with Spicer being there, you're a racist".

Anways, I didn't watch the show, but just saw clips.

Trump bashing just isn't relaly funny or entertaining to me very much. It's stale. Yes, Trump sucks, but making the same 394394949 joke over and over and over again just annoys me. There's nothing remotely entertaining that will make me want to tune in to see Colbert make the same stale jokes about Trump he makes on his nightly show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies