Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:39 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I explained why I quit going to Western Europe up thread. I think American tourists are in danger in Europe from Muslim attacks. The young women that are the subject of this thread are an example. There have been many recent examples, if one reads between the lines in the Press.

I have chosen not to go to Europe ever again. That is my response to the EU Muslim attacks on a weekly basis. There are many other lovely places in the world to visit.

We all make our own decisions. I feel comfortable with mine. I assume you do, too. We don't make choices for anyone but ourselves.
Well; there you have it.

You might want to reconsider your position regarding 'Americans in Western Europe' based upon two items, the first being these women were targeted by someone known to the police as a common thief and vagrant with a good dose of insanity thrown in for good measure.

Her background will become more transparent as demands for information by the American media, among others, reach a crescendo. As of now there is no indication this attack was Islam induced nor is there an indication she is a Muslim.

Apparently, these girls had no distinction of note to this perp other than being representative of what she herself no longer had any remaining vestiges of; specifically: youth and beauty. They crossed her path with nothing more than bad luck being their harbinger.

The other item is what you referred to as "reading between the lines". That should be discouraged as regards today's approximation of Factual Reportage (oxymoron) as the lines themselves are fraught with misinformation and conjecture without adding to the equation by attempting to make anything from the blank white spot between those lines.

I do understand your choice and for slightly similar reasons of conscience vowed never again to set foot into some countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 08:33 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Are we taking bets yet as to which branch of Islam and which Islamic hate group the perp is a part of?

Old 09-17-2017, 08:55 PM

8,115 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You're saying "but no picture of the attacker" as tongue-in-cheek, right?

I'm grateful I had many opportunities to visit Western Europe when few Muslims lived there. The last time, we saw several armed men guarding the front of a synagogue in Austria. I sadly knew immediately this would be my last trip to Europe.
Did you go pre WW2?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:01 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I'm curious about whether it had something to do with how they were dressed. Skimpy clothing that are acceptable in the USA may not be considered decent by foreign cultures.
1st you blame the victims for how they were dressed, nice. That's no different than blaming a woman who was raped for wearing skimpy clothing.

2nd, since when did skimpy clothing become culturally taboo is FRANCE? By "foreign cultures" one can only assume you mean to Muslims.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:14 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Sadly, attacks like these are commonplace in Europe.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:21 PM

1,229 posts, read 858,900 times
Quote:
Come on now. France and the USA are not the same. Laws, cultural values, food, language ... all different. Many European cities have a few streets that are completely americanized, but that doesn't mean the country is an extension of the USA.

Acid throwing is not okay, but I do wonder why these four women from the USA were targeted on the street. What did they do to draw attention to themselves?
She is correct.....they are more similar than most believe. I was in Marseille a few years back on a long trip over to Corsica. It felt a lot like the US. Same thing with Spain......I was there the whole month of June....and again it felt a lot like the US. I'm sitting here right now, still amazed how much Spain felt like here in the US.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:23 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Come on now. France and the USA are not the same. Laws, cultural values, food, language ... all different. Many European cities have a few streets that are completely americanized, but that doesn't mean the country is an extension of the USA.

Acid throwing is not okay, but I do wonder why these four women from the USA were targeted on the street. What did they do to draw attention to themselves?
You mentioned "skimpy clothing"

I don't think traditional "French" women should be offended by any type of clothing.

So don't change your argument to "culture." You are not fooling anyone.

Your second paragraph is blaming the victims, by the way.

acid throwing is not okay, BUT?!!!!!!

How did these girls draw attention to themselves? By showing their hair? by showing their faces perhaps?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 09-17-2017 at 09:32 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 09:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You mentioned "skimpy clothing"

I don't think traditional "French" women should be offended by any type of clothing.

So don't change your argument to "culture." You are not fooling anyone.

Your second paragraph is blaming the victims, by the way.

acid throwing is not okay, BUT?!!!!!!

How did these girls draw attention to themselves? By showing their hair? by showing their faces perhaps?
Reading the links provided in this thread reveals they did nothing to attract attention to themselves other than being young and more attractive than the perp herself.

If one takes the information provided so far as accurate; it was neither their nationality nor their clothing.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:44 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Are we taking bets yet as to which branch of Islam and which Islamic hate group the perp is a part of?

While I'm emphatically condemning her action, who wouldn't?, according to local newspaper La Provence,
the 41 y.o. aggressor stayed at the scene, Gare de Marseille-Saint-Charles, and showed photos of herself with burns she'd received as the result of an attack when she was younger.
She allegedly uttered no terrorist threats, or the usual Allahu Akbar, (God is great).
I've searched other French news sites, and nowhere could I find her name, so whether it's Arabic or French I don't know.
So, unless it's reported otherwise, she may not even have been Muslim.
Not that it makes any difference, but it's being reported that only two of the Americans received acid in their faces, the other two just suffered shock.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:15 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Default Acid Attack on 4 American Tourists in France

We are truly living in very sad times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

Two US tourists have had hydrochloric acid thrown in their faces at Marseille train station, French media say.

The victims, both in their early 20s, received treatment in hospital, but were released later in Sunday.

Two other members of their group were also attacked at Saint-Charles station, but did not get acid in their faces.

Moderator cut: copyright

France acid attack: US tourists assaulted in Marseille - BBC News

Four US Tourists Attacked With Acid In French Train Station « CBS New York

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-18-2017 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies