Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 02:33 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times

Advertisements

I always think these threads where someone makes comments on how they view other 'cultures' or races are funny. So you see black people on tv, and they don't act like you, so that might make you a racist? But most likely not, you think.
LOL
When I was a kid I though all Cubans were band leaders with ditzy wives. Sure, that makes sense.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:42 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
in context to the way individuals talk. If you argued that people should only speak perfect English, then Ok, but your argument seems to only be the african american vernacular which is close to Southern English.

Im only using this example because it is one of the easier ones to flesh out.

Nowhere do I say people should talking perfect English. I don't talk in perfect English . I use aint, and fixing, as in "fixin to go". My only reference to language other than music was the black girl on Masterchef who cant get through a single interview without the head weaving finger wagging ghetto jive attitude. That was about attitude, not English.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup OP is racist.

The irony seems lost on the OP.

To the OP, 'black culture' or what the OP thinks most/all black people live like equates to rap music, gangster culture, bling, and whatever other black stereotype I'm missing.

To the OP, only a tiny percentage of black people are 'good' folk.

Not at all,but thanks for proving you cant read and respond honestly.

My point was that what many folks will call racism is actually a dislike and disrespect of a certain type of culture among black society that is nowhere near a minority of the culture, as statistics will show.

If you think the thread claims that all black people behave this way, you need to get someone with better reading skills than you to explain it to you.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Whining? You mean like your OP?

My OP questions the relation between true racism and perceived racism that is in fact a legit disrespect of a certain type of prevalent black culture.

I understand that goes over your head, so I will not bother trying to clarify it any more to the simpletons.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:47 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
I'm not sure what the term racist means anymore. I used to know what it meant, but today, if you are white and not out marching with the BLM you are racist; if you don't agree with tearing down statues; you are racist; if you are a cop you are racist; if you are a KKK member and a deceased US Senator from WV (Robert Byrd) you are not racist. So please tell me exactly what the word racist currently means.

All I know for sure is that because of the use of the word racist in this day-and-age, it has lost its original meaning and actually means NOTHING today.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
As you said, the term racist is thrown around a lot. Do some reading about the distinction between racism, prejudice and bigotry. As you described yourself you are not. HOWEVER you are quite prejudiced because you assume every black person who is portrayed in this stereotypic way is an example of "black culture". You also said your criticism of this nebulous culture is legitimate. Now THAT nudges up against the term racist.

Either way, doesn't give you a "pass Go, collect $200". I would not go around patting myself on the back for the attitude regardless which label fits it.

Racism: believing that one "race" of humans is superior to another: more intelligent, accomplished, ethical, moral, etc.
Bigotry: acting on that belief to the point of taking action....refusing to hire, pay, defend, or treat one race equally to another.
Prejudice: Assuming every individual of a group is just the same as every other member of the group without evidence to back it up.

Sorry, but nowhere do I claim that this type of culture is the only black culture, nor that every black person behaves this way or agrees with it. Read better next time. I claim it is the prevalent and dominant version that most see, and then make the point that objections to this type of culture is not in fact racism.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:51 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I'm not sure what the term racist means anymore. I used to know what it meant, but today, if you are white and not out marching with the BLM you are racist; if you don't agree with tearing down statues; you are racist; if you are a cop you are racist; if you are a KKK member and a deceased US Senator from WV (Robert Byrd) you are not racist. So please tell me exactly what the word racist currently means.

All I know for sure is that because of the use of the word racist in this day-and-age, it has lost its original meaning and actually means NOTHING today.
I agree with you generally (the left is really that loony where things are so backward today). That said, while not foolproof, I can generally spot a racist when I interact with one.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
What a complete failure of a thread. There's so much wrong with it, it isn't even worth tackling.

Even most of the conservatives are steering clear of trying to rationalize this thread.

Sorry dude, but not impressed with someone who bothers to come into a thread, click on reply, and then respond that its not worth responding to. Primarily because said person has nothing substantive to offer in rebuttal.

The failure is your ability to tackle the question.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
I wonder how many racists consider themselves racist, maybe 10-20%?

We have a documented racist in the WH, but do you believe he thinks he's a racist?!? I don't. I hate racists, no doubt about it, for me they're on the same level as pedophiles. While I believe only a small percentage of Trump supporters are out-and-out racists, how do you feel about the small percentage of people who support pedophiles?!?

Most Trump supporters are absolutely clueless when it comes to 'black culture', whatever that is. But given your take on 'black culture', I have to assume you believe in the superiority of 'white culture'. The fact that you (and I believe you represent a huge percentage of Trump supporters) believe that blacks, 'deride fellow blacks who attempt to get a good education and get ahead in life', proves how clueless you and they are.

Although your claim that blacks are responsible for the their 'broke culture' is laughable, it falls right in line with the brilliant conservative 'logic' that anyone who points out racism is a racist. I'm sure they also believe that anyone who points out a crime is a criminal, anyone who points out sexism is sexist, etc, etc...

The fact that you regard me as a Trump supporter shows what a failure from the start your post and your logic is. Move along then.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:01 PM

So lets cut past all the blathering from many here. Lets condense this to a simple question.

If a person dislikes and disrespects that black culture one sees continuing government dependence, glorifying violence, drugs, rape, etc as rap music does, (and rap is a dominant form of black music ), doesn't value education, doesn't value a cohesive family, doesn't value hard work and steady employment, finds excuses for high crime, has a culture in which imitating the dress of prison inmates is a huge fad, and so on, is that person a racist simply because of hating such a culture and feeling it detrimental to society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies