Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 07:22 AM

693 posts, read 357,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I find it interesting that so many wonder what protestors hope to accomplish when this nation originated with protests against the rules of England in the American colonies. I guess protests only seem relevant when their aims are in agreement with those who observe them; unfortunately that is not usually their nature. The point of protests is to fight against real or perceived injustice(s) within the existing system of government and/or laws or social conventions. There will never be total agreement within any society unless it is a completely totalitarian system, and then the protests simply go underground, to emerge eventually as a revolution.

I was just going to post something along these lines, glad to see some others with a voice of reason.

There have always been protests, and whether we believe it or not, changes are made through protest. We protested the rules of england. The south protested the rights of the north by starting a war against their own country. Martin luther king Jr protested. and on and on.

Protests are what led to things like police accountability, body cams, etc. Protests, despite being messy affairs, often lead to progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 07:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
So you don't accept the ruling? Well lets go burn down some businesses then. That's the way to get what you want. Ferguson is a good example of how NOT to do it.
Sheesh. I find it amazing how many times I have to repeat myself. I clearly stated that the protests go beyond the ruling.

I provide an example why (just above). That does not get addressed, just the same question I've already answered.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sheesh. I find it amazing how many times I have to repeat myself. I clearly stated that the protests go beyond the ruling.

I provide an example why (just above). That does not get addressed, just the same question I've already answered.
Sheesh. I find it amazing how many times I have to repeat myself. So burning local businesses and looting is the answer?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:50 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why I have to explain the same thing over and over. The founders understood that sometimes violence is necessary. I've posted where they also enacted violence against individuals.

First, if it was one person we would not have these protests. It's because of example after example. I realize this scares people. It's intended to.

You should read the 2nd Amendment if this is what you believe. You're taking it completely out of context by trying to make the tie between a right to bear arms to protect against a tyranny or in self-defense and shooting someone because you disagree with their decisions or actions. Those two scenarios are not mutually inclusive.

The 2nd Amendment reads: ""A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The goal of this amendment is to ensure citizens have a right to self-defense so that they cannot be oppressed by a tyrannical government. States could form their militias (aka the National Guards) to overturn a government that is using military force to oppress it's citizens.

Of course now, the NG has been pulled into the Federal military and a militia is no longer required.

It was also meant that in an emergency or a sudden invasion, ordinary citizens who supply their own weapons could be relied upon to help protect the state and country.

Nowhere, and I mean nowhere does that amendment give nod to using violence when people disagree with an action of another. If you can find that wording or intent, please share it with us all. That is criminal, and will remain a criminal offense as it should. We do not solve our problems as a country by attacking other citizens. Especially innocent ones which is what has happened in many of these violent protests. So your point on the 2nd amendment is invalid.

Furthermore you aren't "scaring people" with these types of protests. What you ARE doing is ensuring that others will begin to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights to bear arms in self defense against protesters. This will cause more violence and create a perpetual cycle that will be difficult to break.

We have courts and laws that are in place to see that people accused of crimes go through due process. Whether or not we agree with the final outcomes doesn't matter. We all agree (as citizens of the U.S.) that we will abide by these laws and follow due process. If you don't agree with due process then lobby to have it changed. Otherwise, you leave or you follow the laws. That's it.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
I was just going to post something along these lines, glad to see some others with a voice of reason.

There have always been protests, and whether we believe it or not, changes are made through protest. We protested the rules of england. The south protested the rights of the north by starting a war against their own country. Martin luther king Jr protested. and on and on.

Protests are what led to things like police accountability, body cams, etc. Protests, despite being messy affairs, often lead to progress.
oddly enough, if people today actually banded together and decided to stand up to defend the Constitution, on the surface, real american patriotism would look very much like domestic terrorism.

I think we have slowly and methodically been conditioned to accept tyranny in the US, if you look at any time when someone has even attempted to fight back, they are quickly labelled a domestic terrorist and all the sudden majority of people want them locked up for life...a majority of people would actually side with the tyrannical govt???!! Thats amazing to me, its a great accomplishment on their part, even though I can recognize it and do not agree.

If England had used this same tactic, there would have never been an american revolution, they would have had everyone believing a monarchy was the best thing for them and anyone who attempts to fight back need to be locked up, if they had done this, all the American patriots we celebrate today, would have instead went down in history as domestic terrorists.

History does not usually recognize people and groups that are totally obedient and subservient, its the ones who stand up and fight back, even commit crimes that are eventually recognized as heroes and patriots.

Its something to think about.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Sheesh. I find it amazing how many times I have to repeat myself. So burning local businesses and looting is the answer?
I've already addressed that more than once.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You should read the 2nd Amendment if this is what you believe. You're taking it completely out of context by trying to make the tie between a right to bear arms to protect against a tyranny or in self-defense and shooting someone because you disagree with their decisions or actions. Those two scenarios are not mutually inclusive.
Those who wrote the second used arms in offensive also. It is not just for defense.

Quote:
The 2nd Amendment reads: ""A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The goal of this amendment is to ensure citizens have a right to self-defense so that they cannot be oppressed by a tyrannical government. States could form their militias (aka the National Guards) to overturn a government that is using military force to oppress it's citizens.

Of course now, the NG has been pulled into the Federal military and a militia is no longer required.

It was also meant that in an emergency or a sudden invasion, ordinary citizens who supply their own weapons could be relied upon to help protect the state and country.

Nowhere, and I mean nowhere does that amendment give nod to using violence when people disagree with an action of another. If you can find that wording or intent, please share it with us all. That is criminal, and will remain a criminal offense as it should. We do not solve our problems as a country by attacking other citizens. Especially innocent ones which is what has happened in many of these violent protests. So your point on the 2nd amendment is invalid.

Furthermore you aren't "scaring people" with these types of protests. What you ARE doing is ensuring that others will begin to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights to bear arms in self defense against protesters. This will cause more violence and create a perpetual cycle that will be difficult to break.

We have courts and laws that are in place to see that people accused of crimes go through due process. Whether or not we agree with the final outcomes doesn't matter. We all agree (as citizens of the U.S.) that we will abide by these laws and follow due process. If you don't agree with due process then lobby to have it changed. Otherwise, you leave or you follow the laws. That's it.
Nope.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
oddly enough, if people today actually banded together and decided to stand up to defend the Constitution, on the surface, real american patriotism would look very much like domestic terrorism.
It would most certainly be called that by many.

Quote:
I think we have slowly and methodically been conditioned to accept tyranny in the US, if you look at any time when someone has even attempted to fight back, they are quickly labelled a domestic terrorist and all the sudden majority of people want them locked up for life...a majority of people would actually side with the tyrannical govt???!! Thats amazing to me, its a great accomplishment on their part, even though I can recognize it and do not agree.

If England had used this same tactic, there would have never been an american revolution, they would have had everyone believing a monarchy was the best thing for them and anyone who attempts to fight back need to be locked up, if they had done this, all the American patriots we celebrate today, would have instead went down in history as domestic terrorists.

History does not usually recognize people and groups that are totally obedient and subservient, its the ones who stand up and fight back, even commit crimes that are eventually recognized as heroes and patriots.

Its something to think about.
Believing you have rights is more important to many than actually having them.

"I have rights but it's OK for the government to violate them because I'm doing nothing wrong".

Wrong.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:42 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Those who wrote the second used arms in offensive also. It is not just for defense.

Nope.

Sorry, but if you intend to debate the issue you'll have to respond with more than this. I've provided evidence, now it's your turn.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Sorry, but if you intend to debate the issue you'll have to respond with more than this. I've provided evidence, now it's your turn.
The Amendment is evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies