U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:42 AM

6,998 posts, read 2,722,836 times

Advertisements

I saw on the news this morning that 80 people were arrested during the protest in St. Lous. The protests are in response to the acquittal of a white cop. I understand that people are pissed off and protesting is a way to get out that anger, but what do these people really hope to accomplish?

Do they really think the judge is going to take notice and say wow, we screwed up. "Sorry officer Jason Stockley, but I've decided to violate your Constitutional rights and put you back on trial! We made a mistake letting you go." The officer was acquitted not because of racism, but because the evidence against him was not enough to convince a jury of his peers.

I remember being pretty pissed off when OJ was acquitted. But I never had the inking of desire to get and march in anger, much less act like an idiot and get a criminal record because I was angry at a case that didn't even affect me personally. I just don't understand protesters. The system is not going to change unless people can sit down calmly and rationally seek to iron out solutions to social problems. Real solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 10:49 AM

4,374 posts, read 1,549,870 times
In some ways I can sympathize with the protesters.....

But the ones who get violent and destructive are ruining it for everyone else who doesn't.

Big picture is that the optics of that behavior makes them look like spoiled children who think they can get their way with a stompy footed temper tantrum.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:56 AM

1,592 posts, read 293,809 times
They wanted the White cop convicted of premeditated murder.

The bigger question should be why that charge got brought up so late even when the Fed agencies came back and said there was no wrongdoing. And these Fed agencies were under the Obama administration and were run by Blacks.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:56 AM

8,821 posts, read 4,258,062 times
I tend to agree, honestly. Yes, I was disappointed in the outcome of the trial. And I'm all for bringing light to a situation via social media, peaceful protests at a park or in front of a municipal building. But what are liberals, BLM, and ANTIFA hoping to accomplish by blocking traffic?

Just like the KKK and White Nationalists in Virginia. Standing in formation with tiki torches, shouting "Jews will not replace us." What are they hoping to accomplish?

Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 AM

992 posts, read 187,809 times
What do Protesters Honestly Hope to Accomplish?

Unimportant crybabies and whiners, hoping to fool people into believing they have something relevant to say.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:01 AM

22,573 posts, read 20,805,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I saw on the news this morning that 80 people were arrested during the protest in St. Lous. The protests are in response to the acquittal of a white cop. I understand that people are pissed off and protesting is a way to get out that anger, but what do these people really hope to accomplish?

Do they really think the judge is going to take notice and say wow, we screwed up. "Sorry officer Jason Stockley, but I've decided to violate your Constitutional rights and put you back on trial! We made a mistake letting you go." The officer was acquitted not because of racism, but because the evidence against him was not enough to convince a jury of his peers.

I remember being pretty pissed off when OJ was acquitted. But I never had the inking of desire to get and march in anger, much less act like an idiot and get a criminal record because I was angry at a case that didn't even affect me personally. I just don't understand protesters. The system is not going to change unless people can sit down calmly and rationally seek to iron out solutions to social problems. Real solutions.
I honestly and seriously believe, a lot of the protesters, are people who don't know a darn thing about the case, and just want a reason to feel part of something, while others chose to go to these protests to use them for an excuse to see if they can get away with rioting...and when you start destroying the property of others, now it becomes a riot and they all should be arrested....

then there are others who protest who do not give a darn about our laws, and just want to believe that no matter what, they are violated due to skin color....while they call anyone else a racist.

and, then there are a handful of people who actually believe they are doing something for their cause.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:18 AM

60,848 posts, read 23,989,124 times
They've already accomplished a lot. They've attained getting many places to use body camera's.

There have been police officers held accountable that wouldn't have been in the past.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:18 AM

6,998 posts, read 2,722,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I honestly and seriously believe, a lot of the protesters, are people who don't know a darn thing about the case, and just want a reason to feel part of something, while others chose to go to these protests to use them for an excuse to see if they can get away with rioting...and when you start destroying the property of others, now it becomes a riot and they all should be arrested....

then there are others who protest who do not give a darn about our laws, and just want to believe that no matter what, they are violated due to skin color....while they call anyone else a racist.

and, then there are a handful of people who actually believe they are doing something for their cause.
I agree. I think a lot of these protests didn't give a rip about the evidence. They wanted this man to go to prison even if 99% of the circumstantial evidence suggested that he was in the right.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:21 AM

11,323 posts, read 8,135,812 times
I think that there are protesters who are definitely trying to give their voice, objections to what they perceive as an injustice.

Then there are the idiots who aren't there for the right reason.

Back a few years ago Toronto hosted the G20 I think.....of course there were tons of protests. I know of a young man who went 'to see what was going on'...he got caught up in it. He wasn't passionate about any real issues but chose to get in the mess --crowd mentality, etc.

That happens lots of times.

Look at sporting events -- sometimes when a sports team has won their championships people riot. What sense does that make.

Lots of folks are frustrated, feel they don't have a voice, feel they are marginalized.

It's not right -- most people know that.....

Old 09-18-2017, 11:23 AM

23,936 posts, read 11,510,819 times
Protestors are voicing their opinion on an issue they feel needs to be addressed and rectified at least for future cases? I do not know what is so difficult for anyone to grasp, the same can be said of Any group that protests. That said, do not confuse Protesting with Rioting, they are two different animals, one is legal and within peoples rights to do, the other is a criminal act and as such should be punished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies