Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:07 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
How can I be as oppressed as Danny Glover or Kanye West ?
Danny Glover and Donald Glover are two different people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 04:17 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygiboy View Post
White folks have been putting their whiteness before being American for hundreds of years.
It was wrong when they did it and it's wrong when anybody does it.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
It was wrong when they did it and it's wrong when anybody does it.
It's not wrong to put my blackness before being American. The problem is whites in America felt their whiteness could be lorded over other races and they acted on it. And it's easy to try and tell blacks not to care about their blackness when you live in a society where white is the default.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygiboy View Post
When everyone is treated equally as "Americans" then we will stop it but until then, it will be my Blackness before American
This approach seems counter-productive and doomed to failure. Individualism does not spring from collectivism.

I try to be what I want to see in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
It's not wrong to put my blackness before being American.
I personally think our shared humanness should be prime.
Quote:
And it's easy to try and tell blacks not to care about their blackness when you live in a society where white is the default.
The default? What does that mean, in actual practical terms? If I endeavour to treat people as individuals, and expect the same of others, is this not allowed because one ethnic group is more prevalent than another ethnic group?

Old 09-20-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
This approach seems counter-productive and doomed to failure. Individualism does not spring from collectivism.

I try to be what I want to see in the world. I personally think our shared humanness should be prime. The default? What does that mean, in actual practical terms? If I endeavour to treat people as individuals, and expect the same of others, is this not allowed because one ethnic group is more prevalent than another ethnic group?
On the bolded...this is you not having a legit response so you act like you don't know what it means. Then you go into go into some babble about how people are treated. Do you know how insulting it is to tell people, "hey give up your ethnicity or race then I might see you as an equal". You're an adult, you should be able to treat people equally regardless of their race. This is what people talk about with "colorblindness". "I don't see race"...it's childish and insulting. Some people actually care about their race, their heritage, their ethnicity, and that's perfectly okay. And usually this is only done when blacks are proud of themselves. Mainly because deep down people want blacks to "let it go" as it relates to the default. That's REALLY what white guilt is.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
This doesn't make much sense

"
"I want to thank Trump for making black people No. 1 on the most oppressed list," Glover said during the ceremony.
"He's the reason I'm probably up here.""

Old 09-20-2017, 09:28 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Too bad I missed the SJW Emmy's ....NOT !

Old 09-20-2017, 09:47 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
It's not wrong to put my blackness before being American. The problem is whites in America felt their whiteness could be lorded over other races and they acted on it. And it's easy to try and tell blacks not to care about their blackness when you live in a society where white is the default.
"whitness" IE: people in position of power because they actually did have power, was lorded over others because it could be, including other people who were white. But then, listen carefully, many of those people with power decided racism wasn't the way to be and turned from it and spent decades working to bring about equality for those who didn't have power. It's still happening today to an almost embarrassing degree by white saviors types, but black people are no longer helpless and have their own power and voices. And this is what Donald Glover chose to do with his and some are rightly confused by it all.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:51 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Not one black person, except half black Obama, are any worse off now that we have a great President.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
On the bolded...this is you not having a legit response so you act like you don't know what it means.
Nothing about 'what it means' in practical terms -- noted.
Quote:
Then you go into go into some babble about how people are treated.
I want to treat people as *individuals* and be treated as one as well. You don't think I should be able to do that, because one ethnic group is more prevalent than another ethnic group.
Quote:
Do you know how insulting it is to tell people, "hey give up your ethnicity or race then I might see you as an equal".
It's "hey, let's treat each other as individual humans first and foremost, not as examples of some collective."
Quote:
You're an adult, you should be able to treat people equally regardless of their race.
I strive to see and treat folks in my monkeysphere as well as those I meet as unique individuals.
Quote:
This is what people talk about with "colorblindness". "I don't see race"...it's childish and insulting.
Oh, I know, it's 2017, so being judged on the content of your character is childish and insulting.
Quote:
Some people actually care about their race, their heritage, their ethnicity, and that's perfectly okay.
I would say that is self-evident (though as an aside it's also true I think seldom about my own -- third-gen danish-american). It is when these aspects are used as segregatory tools, wedges, barriers, or ways to assume undue authority and moral authority, that's when I feel we're moving backwards.
Quote:
And usually this is only done when blacks are proud of themselves. Mainly because deep down people want blacks to "let it go" as it relates to the default. That's REALLY what white guilt is.
Glad you could explain it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies