Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Just starting episode 7 online. Mind blowing documentary. I forgot the name of the soldier that was talking about how he was triaged multiple times before another doctor finally recognized he needed help, but it floored me. He had a gaping chest wound.
The guy from Missouri I think it is? He had a "hole" in his chest. I guess it didn't put him in respiratory arrest, obviously, maybe it caused a pneumothorax (collapsed lung), but that can be treated successfully. One medical person "straddled" him, gave him a pitiful look and left. One surgeon in the hospital said "What's your religion"? He replied, "Protestant." He then said, "Well, we'll call a minister in" or something like that. The last doc/surgeon said something to the effect of "Let's get you into the OR." Geez Louise. Lucky guy. Wow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 07:13 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
And you will find some veterans who believed it was "winnable"..........However I do not think Burns sought any of them out...........
Ya, I get what you're saying. In hindsight or w/ an agenda you see what you want to see. I think that's the danger in making something like this, to find the truth versus what you want to believe.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:21 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
One thing I learned is that 30,000 Canadians volunteered to fight in Vietnam.

I was shocked to say the least.
Strangely enough, that's about the same as the number of Americans that went to Canada to escape the draft.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:25 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I have the semi auto version of both rifles, and the magazines are not interchangeable, and they are different calibers. The M16/M4 is 5.56x45, and the AK47 is 7.62x39. The newer Soviet (now Russian) AK-74 has a more similar round to the M16/M4 which is 5.45x39 but that was not used in Vietnam. Still that round, nor the magazine are not interchangeable with the M16/M4.
I did see some, I don't know if they were modified.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It's a documentary and he is well respected" by people who agree with his "slant".

"I was hoping that this thread won't turn into a liberal/conservative thread but some seem hell bent on politics."

Of course you don't because his entire premise is it was ABOUT POLITICS, mostly from the dems, Kennedy expanded and Johnson REALLY expanded our involvement and you don't want to admit your little darling dems could do any wrong.

Sorry, ain't gonna happen.

"I only saw the first two segments and found them interesting,"

As thy say," Everyone is entitled to their OWN opinions"
I'm not defending anyone, there were plenty of lies, misinformation and presidents placing their reelection above the lives of their soldiers. Why are you back here, you dismissed the series after one nuance in one episode.

I didn't defend Johnson or JFK, you are mistaken and Robert McNamara's memoir is quite clear on the mistakes by JFK.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:35 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Some used recovered AK47 clips in their M16's because they held more rounds but a risk of jamming, not worth the chance. I would also take the M16 any day.
Not true. Top to bottom: AK-47 round, 7.62 NATO round (M-14 rifle, M-60 machine gun), and the 5.56 NATO round (M-16 rifle):

Old 09-27-2017, 07:38 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
For every "point" there is a counter point. My point is for every MyLai the NVA/VC perpetrated 100 mylai's.
Aahh.. but aren't Americans supposed to be the Gold Standard that all other cultures, countries and civilizations, etc. etc., supposed to be aspiring to be like??? We sure as hell didn't lead by example in that case. Killing old men and little children, raping and killing women, all the adults unarmed... yet we were supposed to be "Number 1?????"

And the Kent State killings showed that we have more in common with "3rd World" and "Commies" at that time than we care to admit. Hell, what is going on right now in our socio-political climate shows we have a lot of damn brass to be pointing figures at any totalitarian regime.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:44 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Aahh.. but aren't Americans supposed to be the Gold Standard that all other cultures, countries and civilizations, etc. etc., supposed to be aspiring to be like??? We sure as hell didn't lead by example in that case. Killing old men and little children, raping and killing women, all the adults unarmed... yet we were supposed to be "Number 1?????"

And the Kent State killings showed that we have more in common with "3rd World" and "Commies" at that time than we care to admit. Hell, what is going on right now in our socio-political climate shows we have a lot of damn brass to be pointing figures at any totalitarian regime.

If you are not perfect, you are no better than the worst of the worst. Very binary thinking, and not very smart.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
And you will find some veterans who believed it was "winnable"..........However I do not think Burns sought any of them out...........
Burns methods claimed to be random, I am sure you can find a different opinion particularly from those that were career and enlisted but most in my platoon were draftees and didn't believe anything but survival. All the generals thought we could win but that's a different breed. The two world wars they knew they were in it until they won, quite different.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
The guy from Missouri I think it is? He had a "hole" in his chest. I guess it didn't put him in respiratory arrest, obviously, maybe it caused a pneumothorax (collapsed lung), but that can be treated successfully. One medical person "straddled" him, gave him a pitiful look and left. One surgeon in the hospital said "What's your religion"? He replied, "Protestant." He then said, "Well, we'll call a minister in" or something like that. The last doc/surgeon said something to the effect of "Let's get you into the OR." Geez Louise. Lucky guy. Wow...
Did you see the end of last night's episode? Quite a surprise (or maybe not) at how his life went after he came home...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies