Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 08:57 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,266,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
ak 47 is a larger magazine ,7.62x39 round vis m16 5.56 round
See post #607 in this thread. Don't confuse caliber (size of the round) and magazine (container for rounds.) .

Yes, some AKs had large banana clips. But some GIs taped two M-16 clips together, making it possible to change magazines quickly -- though it affected the weapon's accuracy to a degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 09:00 AM

5,891 posts, read 2,820,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
you didn't watch the series right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Lai_Massacre
Correct, I didn't see the TV series,,I was there for 17 months , twice wounded

Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 AM

7,473 posts, read 3,990,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I see a lot of instances of this country thinking it is perfect. It gets tiresome when you take off the blindfold and see the reality.

I don't know when you took your "blind fold" off............but mine came off in about 1972 when I came home..............

Old 09-27-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
That person said it was unwinnable under the U.S. policy for waging the war.

I don't know how it was winnable. Turn NV into a parking lot, use nukes, as one non-vet here suggests. Invade NV, and maybe Cambodia and Laos with a million troops. Turn SV into a permanent U.S. protectorate. Turn back the clock and get a do-over from the Truman administration on.

I do know of one point.........From the beginning we failed to properly train the arvn.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:14 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,651,373 times
What do you guys think of fraud Vietnam vets? I read they're in the 100s of 1000s.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:22 AM

77,015 posts, read 47,410,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So, again, the Hate America first, Blame America first crowd is going to define the U.S. Armed forces by one incident? How about all the time the NVA, or Viet Kong committed atrocities? I guess they get a pass because the Liberal/Progressives in the U.S. align themselves with their Totalitarian politics, right?
How come is comes across so differently ro you than it does to everyone else? Why does mentioning My Lain 'define' the entire US Armed Forces, when they made it clear it was one unique incident? It doesn't define anything, except the extreme frustration which pushed that particular unit to commit the crime. It seems the only version of the war you'd be happy with would be one which omits everything negative, but that kind of program would not be a documentary.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:25 AM

77,015 posts, read 47,410,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Looks like he did what the sister of that kid from Saratoga Springs did after her brother was killed - joined the anti-war movement. He speaks of it at the very end, gets the "last word" in that episode, so to speak. He alluded to it, probably will go into greater detail tonight.
Before that, he tries to sign up for 2nd tour, but was turned down due to his injuries.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What do you guys think of fraud Vietnam vets? I read they're in the 100s of 1000s.

What would you feel about someone who has stolen your identity?

Old 09-27-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How come is comes across so differently ro you than it does to everyone else? Why does mentioning My Lain 'define' the entire US Armed Forces, when they made it clear it was one unique incident? It doesn't define anything, except the extreme frustration which pushed that particular unit to commit the crime. It seems the only version of the war you'd be happy with would be one which omits everything negative, but that kind of program would not be a documentary.

I do not know about him but it seems there was more time and more interviews concerning My Lai then even the Atrocities at Hue. There are estimates of over 7000 civilians including women and children there also........Plus Hue was a planned extermination. My Lai supposedly was just a triggered event brought on by that particular units experiences leading up to it. Do not mistake this as defending those men. I think they should all still be serving time and/or execution. Twice in a free fire zone I could have shot a man from my helicopter. I did not. He was running away from us and he was unarmed. There is a code of conduct in the military,and a moral code of conduct which even in war need not be forgotton.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:13 AM

29,390 posts, read 9,570,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It could get you killed due to their distinctive sound. I have both, but the modern versions. I'll take the AR-15 ever time which is the semi auto version civilians can buy. The current M4, which is essentially just a shorter barreled M16 with a few other changes is a good rifle, or we would not still be issuing them to troops.
I've noticed a good many comments, more and more in this thread, having to do with an interest in the weapons, reminding me of many a gun thread, rather than the war itself. Of course there is a relationship there, but interesting to note how our focus/interest will be on different aspects of the war. Interesting to me anyway, and maybe a dynamic also worthy of note in more than a few ways.

Not a subject that really got my attention like the rest in this documentary anyway. Just a difference is all I suppose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies