Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
"This is the inescapable conclusion of a landmark paper, published in Nature Geoscience, which finally admits that the computer models have overstated the impact of carbon dioxide on climate and that the planet is warming more slowly than predicted."

Article
The world class BBC had a completely different take on the very same report than Breitbart, for some strange reason ...

Paris climate aim 'still achievable'

Old 09-19-2017, 06:07 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,455,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
My guess is that a few billion people live a poverty lifestyle with a fraction of your footprint.
I agree!

A child born in the USA has forty times the lifetime carbon footprint of a child born in Egypt. (13 billion Egyptians could live on the energy the USA consumes)
Quote:
What's going to happen as they slowly begin to increase their lifestyles and have things like refrigeration and basic transportation?
It is already happening. It sure would be nice if we could get them off of fossil fuels right away, wouldn't it? Clean renewable energy, efficient transportation systems ...
Quote:
Trust me, if we are actually causing climate change now, there will be no way to prevent it as billions of others start getting what we consider necessities.

You might as well be trying to stop the wind by blowing the opposite direction.
What would you suggest I do ... rearrange the deck chairs?

I don't have all that much time left. I will do now what I can to make the life of our children and grandchildren a little less horrific. Won't you help?

Old 09-19-2017, 06:31 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
no they havent;
John Coleman is not a climate scientist and is dead wrong, as is Ivar Giaever....They are no different from you, denying the science without any evidence at all.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:35 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
OMG! You think the core of the earth is the cause?
It is not an outlandish hypothesis:

Study Suggests Magnetic Fields Can Control Heat And Sound

Landmark study proves that magnets can control heat and sound

The decrease in earth's magnetic field strength coincides remarkably with the increase in temps since the 1850s.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
John Coleman is not a climate scientist and is dead wrong, as is Ivar Giaever....They are no different from you, denying the science without any evidence at all.
now how did i know you would say that. they are however right, AGW climate change is a religion these days, based in politics. but these are people that can read the data, and make good conclusions despite what you think. you have made up your mind, and are a follower of the reverend al gore climate guru, whose science comes from one whole class he took when he was in college.

and i will also note that science is not a democracy, you dont vote on what is and is not proper science, and the science is NEVER settled. anyone who believes that is a religious fanatic.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 PM

16,588 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Breitbart. Enough said.

Climate SCIENTISTS are in almost unanimous agreement (97%) that global warming is a major threat to our planet. A reasonable person does not turn to a highly partisan source for vital scientific information. Same old, same old. Just like CNN's reporting of Hurricane Maria was "fake news."
Having nothing to do with Breitbart or CNN, many an article has come out showing the models are either wrong or way off from the absurd claims many in the MMGW crowd have proffered. Remember the hockey stick graph that was promoted to alarm everyone?
Heck we would have experienced one ice age, one scorched earth, much of FL coast under water, etc. etc. by now according to many so called scientists.

As to the new catch all phrase of climate change, the believers somehow think the climate changing is a new phenomenon. You do not need to be a scientist to know many an ice age and global warming period occurred not only before the industrial revolution, but also before the dawn of man.

`

Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,307 times
This isn't studying what Breitbart seems to be implying, much less the very misleading title.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
As to the new catch all phrase of climate change, the believers somehow think the climate changing is a new phenomenon. You do not need to be a scientist to know many an ice age and global warming period occurred not only before the industrial revolution, but also before the dawn of man.
This is a very tired argument. There's very little to debate that the gigatons of greenhouse gases, that were previously locked up underground for hundreds of millions of year, emitted annually play a role in climate.

Frankly, I ignore the alarmism as I think we just don't know enough to make such long term predictions. However, I support being proactive and I disregard the alarmism about it bankrupting us as I view it as an investment.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
now how did i know you would say that. they are however right, AGW climate change is a religion these days, based in politics. but these are people that can read the data, and make good conclusions despite what you think. you have made up your mind, and are a follower of the reverend al gore climate guru, whose science comes from one whole class he took when he was in college.

and i will also note that science is not a democracy, you dont vote on what is and is not proper science, and the science is NEVER settled. anyone who believes that is a religious fanatic.
The science is never settled but there isn't much in the way to suggest that humans aren't affecting the climate, we can only argue about the extent until something actually comes to suggest otherwise.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:23 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
AGW and Scientology, two very weird religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies