Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

In todays news, an angry mob descended upon the Natural History museum with bats in hand upon hearing that a mummified horse was on display having been entombed around 5,000BC.

"I just couldn't help myself, mostly the horses I beat have only been dead for a few days, an opportunity like this only comes along once in a lifetime" - Dingle McCringleberry

"That horse was lookin' at me funny" - Jane Smith

"I thought it had candy in it" - Gabriel Iglesias
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 10:34 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But it’s odd that the Kopechne family never really spoke out about it. That tells me that they knew what’d actually happened and decided to keep their mouths shut to protect their daughter’s reputation.

IMO perhaps that's exactly why the movie is coming out now. Ted is dead so it can't hurt "his legacy". But MJK (or, more precisely, her family) can now freely tell their side of the story...sort of.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
LOL! Well sadly, Mary Jo never got to cross that bridge.

How Ted Kennedy kept his Senate seat is beyond belief. Thank goodness it stopped him from becoming President.
SHRUG.

My version plays off a joke that my Civics teacher told me in the 70s.

Mary Jo (about their affair): What if I get pregnant?
The Senator: We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:51 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Ted was a drunk until he married that woman, Victoria Reggie Kennedy, later in life who sobered him up. I believe the official story that they were at the party and decided to take off together in a car. Why he missed the turn on the road that he had taken so many times before is the only part that never made sense to me.

Weren't all the Kennedys rotten to their wives? Didn't Jackie take a million $$ or more from the old man to not divorce JFK? (yes) Didn't she keep her kids away from the Kennedys after JFK was killed? (yes) The women who married into the family were the decent ones.

BTW, there's a really good documentary on CNN every Sunday night on the Kennedys. They've already had two episodes and it's very in depth, behind the scenes, probably neutral in its views. Shows the good and the bad. Sleazy old Joe Kennedy was the mastermind in cahoots with the mob. What we already knew but all put together with original film and photographs, personal lives, public lives, the whole thing. It doesn't glamorize them or vilify them--just tells the story.

Anyone with an interest might find this program well worth watching.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:15 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Ted was a drunk until he married that woman, Victoria Reggie Kennedy, later in life who sobered him up. I believe the official story that they were at the party and decided to take off together in a car. Why he missed the turn on the road that he had taken so many times before is the only part that never made sense to me.

Weren't all the Kennedys rotten to their wives? Didn't Jackie take a million $$ or more from the old man to not divorce JFK? (yes) Didn't she keep her kids away from the Kennedys after JFK was killed? (yes) The women who married into the family were the decent ones.

I read a book by Ted's son that really lays bare the family history of both mental health and substance abuse- basically Ted had mental issues he would not address so he self-medicated. And when the son gave an interview admitting he was an alcoholic and suffered from mental illness (with a side of acknowledging there was a family history) Ted Kennedy melted down because he thought it was a huge secret no one would ever suspect. It is a pretty honest and telling book even if he does make some excuses for the family.

Jackie was never going to leave JFK.

The book I mentioned earlier also hit on the fact that Ted's first wife had major addiction issues throughout the marriage. They worsened after Chappaquiddick and a simultaneous miscarriage but they had been there before either. She also had a family history of addiction. Ethel was apparently the biggest piece of work of any of the Kennedy's and a troubled parent. I don't think the sons 'ruined' decent women as much as they sought out women who already shared the same vices or were primed from their own family history for truly dysfunctional marriages.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
There was also another theory that Mary Jo was tired and perhaps drunk and crawled into the back seat of the car and fell asleep. Ted Kennedy had no idea she was in the back seat because he was stinking drunk and so he drove the car so fast that when he got on the little bridge it flipped over and landed in the pond at which point he extracted himself only later to learn that she was also there.
No one at the party claimed she was drunk, but tired? Sure...entirely plausible. And again, if Kennedy was so “stinking drunk,” there’s no way he could get out of a submerged upside down car. Opening car doors when a car is in water is a near impossibility. If you’re upside down and drunk, you’re not getting out of that car. It ain’t happening.

Moreover, if he got out, why couldn’t she get out? The evidence shows that she breathed in an air pocket for some time. If he opened the door and got out, the car would’ve flooded immediately. There would’ve been no air pocket large enough to breathe in. It just doesn’t hold up.

Everyone that saw Kennedy on the next morning before he got the news said that he was the picture of calm. No sign of hinkiness whatsoever. No sign of a hangover. He was completely cool and collected. He didn’t have a single injury consistent with flipping upside down in a car. Kopechne’s body had signs of trauma. Keep in mind that this was the era of no one wearing seatbelts. He would’ve been tossed all over that car.

Kennedy’s BS story just doesn’t make sense.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Do people really believe he was in the car and just closed the door behind him on his way out? Do you think you can even open a door of a car that's underwater? You can't. You have to break a window to get out. And if he was that drunk he probably wouldn't have been able to react that quickly. And if she was asleep in the back seat, going off a bridge into the water surely would have woken her up.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:32 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If he were so drunk, he wouldn’t have been able to get out of that car. Opening car doors in water is a near impossibility.

Truth is, he was never at that scene.

She was in THAT car because that’s the car they left the party in. Whose car it is is irrelevant. For all intents and purposes, it’s Ted Kennedy’s car even if he borrowed it. Doesn’t matter.

They were both in the car when they left the party, obviously. When they saw the cop, they turned off (so as not to be seen together), he got out and she was supposed to either leave the island (her original plan according to her friends), or make her way back to the house. He walked back to his room where he was staying. No one reported seeing him in wet clothing, and the physical exam of him turned up not one single injury indicative of an accident where a car flips upside down in water.

Had he been in that car, drunk like everyone thinks, he would’ve never gotten out. And if he had by some miracle managed to get out, there’s no reason why she wouldn’t have gotten out too.

When he was told about the accident, it was pretty damn obvious that he had no idea what had happened. Why he made up that BS story of his will always be a mystery. But it’s odd that the Kopechne family never really spoke out about it. That tells me that they knew what’d actually happened and decided to keep their mouths shut to protect their daughter’s reputation.

Lol...thanks. That’s the result of getting one of those “useless liberal arts degrees!”

It's only "odd" for someone whose tinfoil hat is so tight he thinks that Ted Kennedy wasn't in that car--before he left a young woman to drown or suffocate.

Fact: The Kopechnes did speak out about the incident (whatever the heck your "really" qualifier means). Her father got into a pickle once by saying that, if it meant that TK never made it into the WH, his daughter's death wasn't in vain. Mrs. Kopechne once said that she thought that TK "paid off" everyone involved. She also made statements about how she thought her daughter died because of Kennedy's failure to act immediately.

But maybe they didn't really speak out because they didn't give ten interviews.

Yeesh.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:44 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times
Default "Chappaquidick" producer: 'Powerful People' Tried to Keep 'Chappaquiddick' From Being Released

Quote:
For Byron Allen, Entertainment Studios CEO and co-founder and executive producer of the film, the pushback to tell this story came when he first decided to produce the film. “Unfortunately, there are some very powerful people who tried to put pressure on me not to release this movie,” Allen said. “They went out of their way to try and influence me in a negative way. I made it very clear that I’m not about the right, I’m not about the left. I’m about the truth.”

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/ch...ed-1202739078/

lol. Hollywood is so left wing that even a movie about an actual even that happened was too much for them and they tried to stop its release

Old 03-31-2018, 03:50 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,886,522 times
Just sounds like a lot of hype to promote the film. The only group that would have reasonably wanted to quash the film would have been the old Kennedy clan and they are mostly dead or out of power long ago. The idea that powerful people in Hollywood have any interest in this film not being shown doesn’t make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies