Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 06:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

I found that learning to drive later, I was much more aware and appreciative of the inherent hazards/dangers of driving.

The son who was the best driver from day one has had the most accidents BECAUSE....although he was really good at driving, he didn't have the experience to deal with other people who weren't. The accidents he had weren't serious but they were base don him having confidence that others would make the same decisions as he, being a good driver would. Inexperience didn't make him appreciate that other folks are bad drivers and you have to drive based on their skill not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 06:52 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sounds like what I've been saying for years - kids are nicer today than they used to be.

But FWIW, I didn't drink or do drugs or drive either before 18 and I'm almost 40. My grandmother told me to enjoy being a kid as long as I could. I also didn't have sex until after high school because I didn't want to be a high school/teenage mom.

I thinks its good kids are doing less wreckless things. On the driving thing, I feel that has to do in some areas with better public transportation and the fact that many parents drive their kids everywhere.
I didn't actually drive until I was 17....wasn't allowed....
and that was a good thing, b/c I was a cowboy with a stick shift.

also, being a teen mom scared me to death, so I was a virgin when we married....

have to say I agree with this all the way, but, I also believe that we are what we eat.

So, it's more than likely a combo of things.....

years ago, there was a TV special on, about how teen boys were growing breasts and they feared at the time, it was from medications, (correct me if I'm wrong) but they attributed it to all the hormones that were being fed to our food, by way of poultry, beef, etc.

so....

I always say, people don't do things for one reason only, well, same goes for issues and situations....probably a combo of things.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:57 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This is a trend that will have significant political and social effects on our society. This article in the link below, describes young people who are putting off having sex and serious relationships, driving cars and doing other things that older generations were doing much more.

My theory, is that much of it may be due to the demasculinizing effects of pollutants that are increasing in our environment. Most particularly, the phyto-estrogens that are abundant in soybeans. These beans have become at least ten times as much a part of our food chain, as they were 70 years ago. In that same period, male fertility in the United States has fallen by more than 50% and I suspect that virility is reduced also.

ne[/url]
Contrary to popular belief, there are reasons not to have premarital sex that don't include wacky hormone manipulation. Like...we've learned that having babies out of wedlock is not really great for anyone, especially the baby. You know, I like to think that as we evolve, we start discarding stupid behavior.

Higher levels of testosterone DECREASES the chances of fidelity and serious relationships. Not the other way around.

I don't see how driving a car has anything to do with hormones and soybeans. Cars are expensive to maintain, and as someone who LOVES to drive, I gotta tell you...it's becoming less and less fun with all the traffic and crazy idiots on their cell phones.

Frankly, I'm seeing way more detrimental effects of all the guys in the 20s, 30s, and 40s taking T supplementation. Heart attacks, strokes, mood problems...it's asinine.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:08 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm amazed at how many of my young relatives don't have a Driver's license.
It amazes me...I got my license the day I turned 16. I couldn't wait! I didn't drink or have sex until I was 18 and I never did drugs, so I was pretty square for a 90s teen.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:21 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I didn't actually drive until I was 17....wasn't allowed....
and that was a good thing, b/c I was a cowboy with a stick shift.

also, being a teen mom scared me to death, so I was a virgin when we married....

have to say I agree with this all the way, but, I also believe that we are what we eat.

So, it's more than likely a combo of things.....

years ago, there was a TV special on, about how teen boys were growing breasts and they feared at the time, it was from medications, (correct me if I'm wrong) but they attributed it to all the hormones that were being fed to our food, by way of poultry, beef, etc.

so....

I always say, people don't do things for one reason only, well, same goes for issues and situations....probably a combo of things.
Boys who have boobs usually are overweight from eating too many snacks/bad food and not getting enough exercise.

The medication thing, I think was for an ADHD med. I remember the commercial and there was a lawsuit associated with it. Risperdal (after looking it up) caused boys to get female like boobs.

I agree with your special though in regards to some food. But I don't believe it is always the hormones in food. If boys only eat meat, fruit and vegetables, they won't get boobs. Especially if they get some exercise everyday. I parents let their kids eat too much junk food and that causes the kids to be overweight. Overweight boys have boobs.

My son is almost 16. He is the leanest kid in our family and brags about his "six pack" lol. He doesn't have boobs. He wrestles and plays baseball and runs track and stays relatively active but nothing excessive, he spends plenty of days/afternoons lounging around on his phone and watching youtube videos.

I didn't let him (or my daughter) drink anything, outside of special events, except milk and water (no juice or pop/soda). They are only allowed 1 cup of milk a day after age 2. I gave them organic milk until age 5 especially my daughter because I have read that RSBT and RGBH which used to be more prevalent in regular grocery store milk, caused girls to go into puberty early. Black girls already develop earlier on average and star their periods earlier. I did, which made me self conscious as a girl and I didn't want that for her. She is 9 and doesn't have boobs and hasn't started her period (my mom and I started at her age) so I do feel that me breastfeeding her (I honestly attribute a lot of the overweight/obesity issue with children on formula feeding versus breastfeeding in the black community along with a lot of other health issues of children like SIDS and early menarche in girls and higher obesity rates for black children, we have the lowest BFing rates in the country) and my son was and is a major contributor to them not being overweight and both being lean. That and limiting sugary foods. Sugar is what is making our kids fat and boys have boobs. Cut it out and kids won't be so overweight.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Yup. Let's not blame soy for what sugar is doing to everyone.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:27 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
This is because males are losing testosterone and gaining estrogen, the reverse is happening with females. Also, sex gets in the way of social media and video games.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup. Let's not blame soy for what sugar is doing to everyone.
Very true.

People keep talking about soy and estrogen and I do think those are a factor, but if kids and adults didn't eat so much sugary foods, they wouldn't be fat.

FWIW sugar is addicting so I can understand people having problems limiting it after being hooked all these years.

But soy and estrogen are minuscule compared to the high consumption of sugar and "white carbs" (the unhealthy kind) that we eat regularly in this country.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
This is because males are losing testosterone and gaining estrogen, the reverse is happening with females. Also, sex gets in the way of social media and video games.
Men lose testosterone by eating too much sugar and gaining fat. Fat is filled with estrogen. Eat more lean meat and limit carbs to fruits and vegetables and they'll lose fat and gain testosterone.

Women can have higher levels of testosterone due to also being overweight and becoming insulin resistant (pre-diabetes or developing Type II diabetes).

So both genders are hormonally affected by consuming too much sugar and gaining fat.

As said earlier, soy and estrogen from other sources/reasons (like leaching of estrogen from plastic food/drink containers) is an issue but it is minuscule compared to the high sugar content of the typical American diet. Sugar causes hormone imbalances in both men and women.

ETA: All the overweight guys I know (including the younger ones) still have sex lol. They are insecure about their bodies but most guys like to have sex, just like most women like to have sex. Many young people use various apps and social media platforms to set up quickies and so they may not be having deep, romantic relationships like in days of old, but they are still getting it on.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:39 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I think there are a lot of small issues behind the changes we're seeing in the rate of teenage driving, including:

1) Many states have staged licensing programs for teenagers, meaning it's a two-year process if the kids begin at age sixteen. If young people delay driving until age 18, they don't have to jump through the same hoops.

2) Independent driving school has taken over for the high school course that was a regular part of the curriculum for sophomores when I was a teen.

3) Car insurance for teenagers is breath-takingly expensive. Seriously, you don't even want to know!

4) Uber & Lyft are available in most suburban areas. Public transportation may also be an option. We strongly recommend using the train to our kids when it's appropriate. It's generally faster & safer, especially during high traffic hours.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-20-2017 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies