Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:19 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times

Advertisements

The U.S doesn't need a to add a territory with so much debt as a state. We have enough debt to deal with at the moment.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The U.S doesn't need a to add a territory with so much debt as a state. We have enough debt to deal with at the moment.
Well if that's the case I guess we'll have to remove the self described "King of Debt" from the Oval Office.

"Nobody does debt like me!"
- Donald J Trump

Old 09-22-2017, 12:55 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Do you consider Puerto Ricans real Americans?

Yes.

Yes, I do.

But I noticed that Puerto Ricans usually consider themselves Puerto Ricans first and Americans second.

Perhaps that comes from having a defined territory and culture before being assumed into the USA. Kind of like Quebec.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:01 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Do you consider Puerto Ricans real Americans?

Yes.

Yes, I do.

But I noticed that Puerto Ricans usually consider themselves Puerto Ricans first and Americans second.

Perhaps that comes from having a defined territory and culture before being assumed into the USA. Kind of like Quebec.
I don't mean this in a combative way, but how do you know this exactly (the bolded part)?

The Puerto Ricans I know are equally proud of both. Kind of like how Texans are often proud to be Texan AND American. Same for Californians, and other regions of America.

Maybe I'm only interacting with Puerto Ricans that live on the mainland, though, and it's different on the island? Please elaborate.

Quebec is an interesting analogy - as someone that knows many Quebec people from my life in hockey, I can say the ones I know are very proud of being french and Canadian. I know there have been secession movements - but I've never encountered anyone in real life that legitimately wanted that. Could be a generational thing, though.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I don't mean this in a combative way, but how do you know this exactly (the bolded part)?

The Puerto Ricans I know are equally proud of both. Kind of like how Texans are often proud to be Texan AND American. Same for Californians, and other regions of America.

Maybe I'm only interacting with Puerto Ricans that live on the mainland, though, and it's different on the island? Please elaborate.

Quebec is an interesting analogy - as someone that knows many Quebec people from my life in hockey, I can say the ones I know are very proud of being french and Canadian. I know there have been secession movements - but I've never encountered anyone in real life that legitimately wanted that. Could be a generational thing, though.
I lived in New York for quite some time and one cannot avoid meeting a great many Puerto Ricans.

It was just something I noticed. Not citing it as a widespread creed or knocking them for it. Except the ones who tried to kill Truman or set of bombs.

OTOH I have never met a single Quebecois who had anything good to say about being part of Canada. But it's not my country and none of my business.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:09 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I lived in New York for quite some time and one cannot avoid meeting a great many Puerto Ricans.

It was just something I noticed. Not citing it as a widespread creed or knocking them for it. Except the ones who tried to kill Truman or set of bombs.

OTOH I have never met a single Quebecois who had anything good to say about being part of Canada. But it's not my country and none of my business.
Interesting! Thanks for the reply. You likely have more experience with Puerto Ricans than I do, so I appreciate your perspective.

I think the Quebecois thing must be generational...the majority of people I know from Quebec speak fluent English and have lived in other parts of the world and country. I definitely admit I don't many people from Quebec older than 40.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Interesting! Thanks for the reply. You likely have more experience with Puerto Ricans than I do, so I appreciate your perspective.

I think the Quebecois thing must be generational...the majority of people I know from Quebec speak fluent English and have lived in other parts of the world and country. I definitely admit I don't many people from Quebec older than 40.
No problem.

Both Quebec and PR are "spoils of war." They were both grabbed from one power by another. So it is not surprising that they would both be ambivalent about their status within Canada and the USA respectively.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:17 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
I honestly don't run into a lot of people from there but I would imagine people treat them the same as if they are from the regular U.S.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Well if that's the case I guess we'll have to remove the self described "King of Debt" from the Oval Office.

"Nobody does debt like me!"
- Donald J Trump
Who will have to remove trump? And why?

Old 09-22-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:

I see it symbolic.
Puerto Rican flag over an American flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies