Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:16 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Anecdotes? This is first hand testimony.
Its still anecdotal.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:23 PM

45,538 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Again and always. Those who have no real data always use anecdotes. Same tactic as the crimes of illegal aliens. All the real statistics say aliens commit crimes at lower rates than natives. But the opponents always cite anecdotes.

Same here. All studies tend to show gay couples do a better job than hetero. On many of these it may well be that gays have more money...which is generally true. But even after you correct for socioeconomic status it is still true. And the response you make is anecdotes. Of course their are children of gays who ended up hating their life style. Go out and interview the children of heterosexual parents who were swingers...find out how they liked that...
None of the three gay couples among my nieces and nephews have children and they are all old enough now it is unlikely. But I am among the opinion that they would all have been good parents. Just good people.
I am giving you real life testimonies instead of me speaking my opinions or some researcher supplying numbers off of the same anecdotal evidence you guys are whining about.

Heard of the book Heather Has Two Mommies? Here's Heather... (not sure if she has anything to do with the book, but her name is Heather... )

Dear Gay Community: Your Kids Are Hurting

Do you remember that book, “Heather Has Two Mommies”? That was my life. My mom, her partner, and I lived in a cozy little house in the ‘burbs of a very liberal and open-minded area. Her partner treated me as if I was her own daughter. Along with my mom’s partner, I also inherited her tight-knit community of gay and lesbian friends. Or maybe they inherited me?

Either way, I still feel like gay people are my people. I’ve learned so much from you. You taught me how to be brave, especially when it is hard. You taught me empathy. You taught me how to listen.

Despite the positive words...

I’m writing to you because I’m letting myself out of the closet: I don’t support gay marriage. But it might not be for the reasons that you think.

It’s not because you’re gay.

Growing up, and even into my 20s, I supported and advocated for gay marriage. It’s only with some time and distance from my childhood that I’m able to reflect on my experiences and recognize the long-term consequences that same-sex parenting had on me. And it’s only now, as I watch my children loving and being loved by their father each day, that I can see the beauty and wisdom in traditional marriage and parenting.

Same-sex marriage and parenting withholds either a mother or father from a child while telling him or her that it doesn’t matter. That it’s all the same. But it’s not. A lot of us, a lot of your kids, are hurting. My father’s absence created a huge hole in me, and I ached every day for a dad. I loved my mom’s partner, but another mom could never have replaced the father I lost.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
I am giving you real life testimonies instead of me speaking my opinions or some researcher supplying numbers off of the same anecdotal evidence you guys are whining about.

Heard of the book Heather Has Two Mommies? Here's Heather... (not sure if she has anything to do with the book, but her name is Heather... )

Dear Gay Community: Your Kids Are Hurting

Do you remember that book, “Heather Has Two Mommies”? That was my life. My mom, her partner, and I lived in a cozy little house in the ‘burbs of a very liberal and open-minded area. Her partner treated me as if I was her own daughter. Along with my mom’s partner, I also inherited her tight-knit community of gay and lesbian friends. Or maybe they inherited me?

Either way, I still feel like gay people are my people. I’ve learned so much from you. You taught me how to be brave, especially when it is hard. You taught me empathy. You taught me how to listen.

Despite the positive words...

I’m writing to you because I’m letting myself out of the closet: I don’t support gay marriage. But it might not be for the reasons that you think.

It’s not because you’re gay.

Growing up, and even into my 20s, I supported and advocated for gay marriage. It’s only with some time and distance from my childhood that I’m able to reflect on my experiences and recognize the long-term consequences that same-sex parenting had on me. And it’s only now, as I watch my children loving and being loved by their father each day, that I can see the beauty and wisdom in traditional marriage and parenting.

Same-sex marriage and parenting withholds either a mother or father from a child while telling him or her that it doesn’t matter. That it’s all the same. But it’s not. A lot of us, a lot of your kids, are hurting. My father’s absence created a huge hole in me, and I ached every day for a dad. I loved my mom’s partner, but another mom could never have replaced the father I lost.
Yet another ANECDOTE. You don't appear to understand the point. One can provide a few anecdotes that support any position. They prove nothing except gay parents fail sometimes. Are you under the impression all heterosexual families make it? Have you checked the statistics for the success rate of poor single mothers?

You really don't have a point. You are simply ranting.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:31 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Yet another ANECDOTE. You don't appear to understand the point. One can provide a few anecdotes that support any position. They prove nothing except gay parents fail sometimes. Are you under the impression all heterosexual families make it? Have you checked the statistics for the success rate of poor single mothers?

You really don't have a point. You are simply ranting.
Because heterosexual parents have an excellent track record as parents.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Because heterosexual parents have an excellent track record as parents.
Compared to poor single mothers? Yes. Compared to gay couples? No.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:39 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That's a subject that is rarely discussed, but should be paramount. The issues about same-sex couples having children, is mostly about their rights and freedom, while those of the children, aren't given much consideration.
You could say the exact same thing about straight people. We've all seen plenty of straight parents who are pathetic excuses for human beings let alone parents, yet they pop out 6, 8, 12 children.

Show me some peer-reviewed scientific studies that show that children of same sex children are categorically disadvantaged. Until then, for every one of these personal anecdotes I can find 12 cases of children born to straight parents having far worse upbringings.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,198 times
What are the consequences of being raised in a Republican household? Smug entitlement and racism?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So by your logic, if one parent leaves then the other parent should not be able to keep the child.
Nope. But single mothers should receive an exceptional level of help. And if they can't deal with it their children would be better off fostered to heterosexual or gay couples who are up to the task.

My father died when I was 19 and my youngest siblings were pre-teen. We did fine as we were not poor and mother was up to the task and having older kids were a help. If it had happened 10 years earlier it would have been a total disaster and she would never have been successful. We likely would have ended up divided among other aunts.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
All loving families are good in my opinion, whether they're headed by same-sex couples, opposite-sex couples, or even multiple partner relationships.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:01 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
Quote:
Tell you what - find some first hand testimony of adults who have lived in those households, and we let's see what we come up with. Not listening to studies, because people can skew studies. And if they are interviewing kids, they won't know any better - or will be pressured to answer a certain way.
]
So you are admitting that you support the voice of one person over 79 studies because you just don't trust the doctors that published them and the many peers who reviewed them?

SO they are ALL lying? .

hmm.

While one or two studies proves little, 79 make it much more likely to be correct than one person who has issues about her moms...

your rejection of reality perfectly highlights your prejudice against same sex couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.