Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:07 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,138,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
it's basically winning the lottery.

see what they think about privilege if they were born in a trailer park or in the hood.

congrats for being born into wealth but don't act like you had something to do with it.
Being born wealthy doesn't make one a better person.

Billionaires like Trump are no better than the bus driver or plumber who lives down the block.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:10 PM

46,930 posts, read 25,924,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The path matters, and which path you are on is all about your choices. Job, family, home, geography, etc. No matter what the path pertains to, which one you are on is up to you. Nothing privileged or lucky about it.
Circumstances beyond your control influence both your choices and the choices available to you. If you're raised in a family and culture that values education, you're more likely to apply yourself in that direction. If you're born in a time and place that provides opportunities for education, well, lucky you. Attitude counts, opportunities do, too. And if you doubt that, ask yourself where you'd be if you'd been born in a shantytown in Somalia.

Obviously, luck alone will not do a whole lot. Chance only favors the prepared, after all. Making it to the top of the heap is a bit like being an Olympic athlete - it's not enough to reach the top performance level at your discipline, you have to do so at the exact time it's needed.

Your big project hit all the marks and you came in under time and under budget, good. Your big project hit all the marks and you came in under time and under budget just as a more senior post opened - now, that's better.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:10 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,942,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Anyone else think it's all kind of stupid to constantly complain about how "privileged" others are? So what? There will always be winners and losers in life, there will always be those better than you and have better circumstances. It's always been that way and it always will be. Nevermind the fact that if they themselves were the "privileged" ones you certainly wouldn't see them bitching about it.

It's probably no surprise most of those that complain about the privilege of others are almost always all kinds of lazy/stupid themselves and instead of just working with what they have and working towards not being a complete waste on society they constantly complain about how much better others have it.

Exactly!

Old 09-22-2017, 12:18 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,942,974 times
Why is it bad for one to be "privileged"?

It's only bad to the ignorant lazy bastards that do nothing to help themselves and want to take money from others.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:20 PM

13,895 posts, read 5,598,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Circumstances beyond your control influence both your choices and the choices available to you. If you're raised in a family and culture that values education, you're more likely to apply yourself in that direction. If you're born in a time and place that provides opportunities for education, well, lucky you. Attitude counts, opportunities do, too. And if you doubt that, ask yourself where you'd be if you'd been born in a shantytown in Somalia.

Obviously, luck alone will not do a whole lot. Chance only favors the prepared, after all. Making it to the top of the heap is a bit like being an Olympic athlete - it's not enough to reach the top performance level at your discipline, you have to do so at the exact time it's needed.

Your big project hit all the marks and you came in under time and under budget, good. Your big project hit all the marks and you came in under time and under budget just as a more senior post opened - now, that's better.
I am not going to compare life across different countries. I am speaking of the US. Obviously being born into a dictatorship, theocracy, feudal fiefdom, etc are all different than the top 1st World nation on the planet. I am saying in America...CHOICES MATTER and they override circumstance.

And I already said that not everyone can be on top, but being on the path that tries t be ends up affording one a pretty good set of circumstances. I am not on top of my particular game, nor do I need to be. I make a pretty nice living, and my box is about three levels below CIO on the org chart. Still puts me in the top 6%, so it could be better, and it could be worse. But I don't look at every box above me and disdain them for having "privilege" or some unfair advantage. Through whatever combination of choices, time, events, etc...they are whey they are, and I am where I am. It is what it is. I keep working, and someday maybe I move up, hopefully I don't move down. End of the day, I am pretty satisfied with my life and if I wasn't, I would change it. I know this because I hae had it worse, and I was unsatisfied, and I DID CHANGE THINGS.

But you keep blaming luck, planetary alignment and your horoscope if it helps you sleep better.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:30 PM

46,930 posts, read 25,924,014 times
Quote:
But you keep blaming luck, planetary alignment and your horoscope if it helps you sleep better.
I am blaming nothing, except some of my own decisions that could have been smarter - I do fair-to-middlin', even if I do say so myself. But I am not blind to the outside factors that helped propel me along.

Quote:
Through whatever combination of choices, time, events, etc...they are whey they are, and I am where I am. It is what it is. I keep working, and someday maybe I move up, hopefully I don't move down. End of the day, I am pretty satisfied with my life and if I wasn't, I would change it.
I think we may agree more than it first appears.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:49 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,933,717 times
Quote:
A claim made all the time by SJW's, but impossible to objectively prove.
How is being poor easier frankly this post shows how privileged you are.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:50 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,933,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Stop. People like you love to misinterpret scripture to support your fallacies. You're looking more and more ridiculous with every post.
The scripture is clear its you who seems confused. Jesus wouldn't vote republican if he was around today just sayin...

Old 09-22-2017, 12:56 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,897,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Anyone else think it's all kind of stupid to constantly complain about how "privileged" others are? So what? There will always be winners and losers in life, there will always be those better than you and have better circumstances. It's always been that way and it always will be. Nevermind the fact that if they themselves were the "privileged" ones you certainly wouldn't see them bitching about it.

It's probably no surprise most of those that complain about the privilege of others are almost always all kinds of lazy/stupid themselves and instead of just working with what they have and working towards not being a complete waste on society they constantly complain about how much better others have it.
It's not really "bad" - why do you think it is bad? It's just a recognition of reality.

By the way, there are many forms of "privilege".

Old 09-22-2017, 12:57 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,234,950 times
It's only bad when it creates someone no character or work ethic, and no sense of owing society for what they got on a silver (actually, gold) spoon.

In fact, how many "privileged" people would you be afraid to be in a dark parking lot with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies