Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 09:50 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Free market is the answer
The free market is a pie-in-the-sky simplistic ideal that won't work in the real world. In many small to medium sized cities they only have one hospital or one dominant medical group. They have monopoly power and no competition. Or the tiny rural town with only one doctor. In many places throughout the U.S. there would be no competition to set efficient prices.

Furthermore, a free market health system is not a fair or level playing field because the consumer is often not in a position to negotiate. If I'm passed out in an ambulance I cannot be a good consumer and shop around for the best or cheapest care. I'm completely at the whim of the health provider -- the services get provided, I get a bill after the fact, with no opportunity to negotiate.

These are just two reasons why the government MUST tightly regulate and manage healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 09:50 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
The govt has enforced a protected market. Can you imagine how much a television would cost if the state only allowed one manufacturer?
The FDA doesnt protect the public, it just decides who can $ell in the market.
Safety would exist and improve absent a govt monopoly.
So you are in favor of eliminating drug patents and the need for any clinical trials at all that prove a drug is relatively safe and effective?

How will eliminating the need for human clinical trials improve safety?

The FDA currently decides what can be sold. Who can sell it is determined by patents, not the FDA.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:04 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
So you are in favor of eliminating drug patents and the need for any clinical trials at all that prove a drug is relatively safe and effective?

How will eliminating the need for human clinical trials improve safety?

The FDA currently decides what can be sold. Who can sell it is determined by patents, not the FDA.
Why do you think only the govt can conduct "human clinical trials"?
A patent is the state granting a crony (pal) a monopoly and the practice should be ended.
Im not for eliminating safety, I'm for eliminating the govt version. Govt safety kills.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,357 times
As long as I have the option to pay for private insurance. No way I would want to deal with any government healthcare.. our government messes everything up. it would be a disaster.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:19 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
As long as I have the option to pay for private insurance. No way I would want to deal with any government healthcare.. our government messes everything up. it would be a disaster.
I agree with the bold. I liked the word you used "option".

Old 09-25-2017, 10:21 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Government has NO INCENTIVE to provide good service. We are a captive audience to government, and when we need something the government has no problem ignoring us, or putting us in a long waiting line. There is no profit motive, no competition, and little or no accountability. We can complain to our politicians, but we all know how that goes. Do you want DMV, or VA style health care, then turn it over to government.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:22 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
I support the govt staying out of my health care.
I assume you will not take Medicare after age 65.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:25 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I assume you will not take Medicare after age 65.
Why not? He paid into that, and Social Security his entire working life. Where does government get its money?

Old 09-25-2017, 10:26 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The free market is a pie-in-the-sky simplistic ideal that won't work in the real world. In many small to medium sized cities they only have one hospital or one dominant medical group. They have monopoly power and no competition. Or the tiny rural town with only one doctor. In many places throughout the U.S. there would be no competition to set efficient prices.
And why is that? Because the govt "tightly regulates and manages healthcare"
Quote:
Furthermore, a free market health system is not a fair or level playing field because the consumer is often not in a position to negotiate. If I'm passed out in an ambulance I cannot be a good consumer and shop around for the best or cheapest care. I'm completely at the whim of the health provider -- the services get provided, I get a bill after the fact, with no opportunity to negotiate.
Ever see what an ER charges are now? Why is it so much? Because the govt "tightly regulates and manages Healthcare" and really if your life is in danger, do you want the most inexpensive treatment?
Quote:
These are just two reasons why the government MUST tightly regulate and manage healthcare.
you havent been paying attention

Old 09-25-2017, 10:46 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Why do you think only the govt can conduct "human clinical trials"?
A patent is the state granting a crony (pal) a monopoly and the practice should be ended.
Im not for eliminating safety, I'm for eliminating the govt version. Govt safety kills.
Where did you get that idea? Clinical trials are very expensive and conducting phase I, II, and III trials can take several years. Drug companies conduct and foot the bill on most human clinical trials. This often include clinicals trials in foreign countries. Their undertaking the trials and footing the bill makes sense as they are the ones who will will benefit if their drug is approved. Phase I of a trial usually tests various dosage options for safety. The data from that phase is used by the drug company to determine dosage in Phase II.

This site has details of the drug trials in the U.S. and around the world: https://clinicaltrials.gov

When seeking a new drug approval, the drug company submits the results of its clinical trials for review by the FDA. Based on the clinical trial results, the FDA will make a decision.

Last edited by cdnirene; 09-25-2017 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies