Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 12:51 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Explain those words to a kindergartener so they understand every word of it. Or would you rather to them say it and go though the emotions and comply? God was added but I think you know that.
Kids are smarter than many give them credit for.

What is it about the pledge that you think they don't understand?

It's not really that complicated.

Maybe the word "indivisible"?

And they could learn that pretty easily.

Or is that what you're afraid of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 12:51 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
It is all politics. When some players does something which right likes, left is going to criticize players and right is going to support them. They are always there taking opposite sides for every issue. I wish sports raise above and keep both side of the politics out of the game.

It would seem that religion and politics need to be stricken from sports all together maybe that's the answer. Sadly people would have to whine about that has well.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:52 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So true they are peacefully taking a knee and remaining quiet though out the nation anthem not giving the flag a finger or waving a gun around or anything else. I used to work on a military base. Worked on several to be honest and when there was a group prayer I lowered my head but I didn't pray with them I did this out of respect for their faith. Some might say that makes me less or Un-American which is fine they have that right just as I have not to pray to a God I don't believe in.
I actually respect people like you. (the bold. Very honorable)

My Godson says "grace" before every meal, we don't, even though we are Christians too. When he lives with us, we say grace with him because this is what his dad wants.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:52 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Do you want to live in a country where the government forces you into public demonstrations of patriotism?
... Pretty funny.

Ask a liberal to observe simple good manners like saying "please" or "thank you" and he screams, "HITLER!"

Old 09-24-2017, 12:53 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Wow, there sure is a lot of hullabaloo over freedom and the 1st Amendment from you libs.

Where where you when players were being fined and suspended for praying? What about their 1st Amendment rights?

You were gleeful about players not being allowed to pray.

Now that there's pushback you have nothing but concern about players' constitutional rights. Hypocrites.
You don't understand the 1st Amendment. It only says the GOVERMMENT should stay out of restriction of free speech.

The NFL can do whatever the hell it wants. It can allow or disallow prayer; it can allow or disallow protest at the national anthem. I don't care that much which it is - don't watch that crap anyway - so long as in any case the government STAYS OIT OF IT.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:53 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
No one should be forced to stand for something that they feel goes against them. Conservatives are so triggered for no reason, as usual.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:54 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Country.

and I don't believe you need to agree with me though. Like I said, to each his/her own.

Don't mean to bring god into the discussion. It has nothing to do with God.
Personally, I think all these displays of sports patriotism should be ended both at the professional and school levels. Should fans be required to stay in the stands and not go to the concession, or restrooms, during the anthem? Is that a sign of disrespect? Only applies to athletes? What about MLB and NHL which has a lot of players who are not US Citizens? Must they too show their American Patriotic Pride with their hands over their hearts? Why are NHL games playing Oh, Canada on American SOIL????? There are no Canadian players on American teams?

Yes, it is very similar to praying which many have wanted to put back into public schools. Unless the belief is in your heart, you can repeat the words like a Robot but it will mean nothing.

How many of you have flags and say the pledge in your places of employment and stand before you start work? Very few I would guess. If the average American worker doesn't have to do this when they go to work, why do Professional Athletes have to? Eliminate it.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:54 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
Do you want to live in a country where the government forces you into public demonstrations of patriotism?

Remember 1939 Germany? Well, we're almost there again thanks to the neo-nazi in the WH.

Last edited by dothetwist; 09-24-2017 at 01:37 PM..

Old 09-24-2017, 12:56 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,636 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
It has nothing to do with it being "bad" or "good"
yeah I know.
Then why'd you post this garbage?
Quote:
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Not sure why it is so bad. Maybe it is the one nation under God part, I don't know. sheesh

Old 09-24-2017, 12:56 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Personally, I think all these displays of sports patriotism should be ended both at the professional and school levels. Should fans be required to stay in the stands and not go to the concession, or restrooms, during the anthem? Is that a sign of disrespect? Only applies to athletes? What about MLB and NHL which has a lot of players who are not US Citizens? Must they too show their American Patriotic Pride with their hands over their hearts? Why are NHL games playing Oh, Canada on American SOIL????? There are no Canadian players on American teams?

Yes, it is very similar to praying which many have wanted to put back into public schools. Unless the belief is in your heart, you can repeat the words like a Robot but it will mean nothing.

How many of you have flags and say the pledge in your places of employment and stand before you start work? Very few I would guess. If the average American worker doesn't have to do this when they go to work, why do Professional Athletes have to? Eliminate it.
Eliminate it or not, it is not a big issue for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies