Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:37 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
She should do exactly what she did: follow hospital policy and the law, not resist--and subsequently get a lawyer. She is alive and her position vindicated and the officer shown to have acted improperly and the resultant publicity will result in better behavior from others going forward.
NO, an officer should NEVER demand someone do something illegal. The other officers there should have stopped him, up to the point of arresting him.

He assaulted her. Was he arrested for assault? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's probably because there are people who target law enforcement and the fact that even seemingly low key situations have turned deadly due to everyone having a gun.
Everyone does not have a gun.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
The cop who attacked the ER nurse and his supervisor should be fired and prosecuted.
I agree but they will not be.

Quote:
Making the Eric Garner thing a race issue falls flat when you find out the superior officer was also black. As for brutality, the man was a criminal, and if he'd have complied he would have walked away without a scratch. If a rule was violated then the superior officer is responsible. I wonder what has happened to her since?
I did NOT make it a race issue. You did. I made it an issue of the police doing wrong and getting away with it. You continue to expose yourself by saying he was a "criminal". He was doing nothing illegal. Nothing and the police had NO reason to search him. NO it is NOT OK to say "just let the cops violate your rights".

It has to stop.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:46 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
NO, an officer should NEVER demand someone do something illegal. The other officers there should have stopped him, up to the point of arresting him.

He assaulted her. Was he arrested for assault? No.
Of course he should not have behaved as he did. I disagree that the other officers should have intervened at that point. The time to have done that was earlier when they might have taken him aside and talked him down. He was out of control and any interference may have further escalated the situation. IMHO.

I don't know the circumstances why he was not arrested for assault. I am not a lawyer. But Nurse Wubbles obtained legal advice and is proceeding as she and her attorney believe best. She may or may not receive a financial settlement--I don't know if she plans to sue or not. She acted in a stellar manner, IMHO, and remained professional and did not resort to violence or profanity.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:48 PM

13,941 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Interesting how people want government to have more and more power, but they want to gripe when that same government's hired muscle exercise the power that everyone begged for them to have.

When you demand a government to give you everything, you grant them the power to take and control everything. Police are nothing more than the street level, public face of that power.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Of course he should not have behaved as he did. I disagree that the other officers should have intervened at that point. The time to have done that was earlier when they might have taken him aside and talked him down. He was out of control and any interference may have further escalated the situation. IMHO.
Yes, they should have intervened right from the start. They did not. They allowed it to happen. That's a part of the problem.

Quote:
I don't know the circumstances why he was not arrested for assault. I am not a lawyer. But Nurse Wubbles obtained legal advice and is proceeding as she and her attorney believe best. She may or may not receive acfinancial settlement--I don't know if she llans to sue or not. She acted in a stellar manner, IMHO, and remained professional and did not resort to violence or profanity.
We may counter an illegal arrest up to and including lethal force. If we do not want that happening the police must know their limits.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Interesting how people want government to have more and more power, but they want to gripe when that same government's hired muscle exercise the power that everyone begged for them to have.

When you demand a government to give you everything, you grant them the power to take and control everything. Police are nothing more than the street level, public face of that power.
Baseless generalizations are rarely good arguments.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:54 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I agree but they will not be.

You don't know that.

I did NOT make it a race issue. You did. I made it an issue of the police doing wrong and getting away with it. You continue to expose yourself by saying he was a "criminal". He was doing nothing illegal. Nothing and the police had NO reason to search him. NO it is NOT OK to say "just let the cops violate your rights".

It has to stop.
Tell this to that woman officer who ordered what took place that day. And it was exploited as a race issue because the four policemen were white.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Tell this to that woman officer who ordered what took place that day. And it was exploited as a race issue because the four policemen were white.
What happened was wrong and NO ONE was held accountable other than the one that tried to protect his civil rights.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:02 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's probably because there are people who target law enforcement and the fact that even seemingly low key situations have turned deadly due to everyone having a gun.
There are an estimated 14.5 million CCW permits in the U.S. Far from "everyone".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies