Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:48 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times

Advertisements

Do you think that when you see a White Person's Facebook page and you see (especially if they have over 100 friends and/or they live in a somewhat racially diverse place, say that's 80% White or less,) that they have no friends of color or a certain color on their page,that there could be something racially wrong with him/her?

I think it could raise a yellow flag and if there are certain views on their pages (ex, "Black Lives Matter are nothing but a bunch of racist thugs"), that could mean a red flag.

Or is Facebook, in your opinion, not meant to be taken that seriously? Maybe that could be true, but what other measure could you use to size up someone, who's White, at first or second glance anyway, when it comes down to it.

Again, while I can't bar of course, White Folks from answering, I don't think you can look at it as realistically as through the eyes of a Black, Muslim, Latino, etc person.

That being said, though, while it's not as likely, since there's almost no choice (it's a lot harder for Black people, etc to go the whole day, week, etc, without any interaction with White People, than vice versa), I'm not that impressed and a little leery about Blacks or other Minorities, who have not one White Friend on Facebook.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:55 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times
Satire?

Old 09-26-2017, 02:04 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Satire?
No one forced you to answer.

Your answer is a clear example of White Privilege though.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:38 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,931,653 times
What about a white person that has some sort of get together like a birthday party or wedding and say 35 of 35 non-family people are white? Potential racist - consciously or subconsciously?

Old 09-26-2017, 02:46 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,118,499 times
Did not realize that the thread was a wind up (sounds like a typical Berkely student) but the following sentiment stands:

Jesus Christ. When the hell are people like you going to stop worrying about white people and start working towards making your own lives better?

It is not white people's fault that blacks are in last place, behind even immigrant groups that come here with nothing, not even speaking the language. That is due to poor attitudes in the black inner-city communites regarding education, obedience to the law, marriage, gang affiliation, drug use, and violence.

Black celebrities, even Michell Obama herself, have tried to tell American blacks this, and they just won't listen. If black people want to get ahead in America, they have to stop looking at hip hop, hoops, and crime as being their only avenues of advancement. They have to stop looking at education as "acting white." They have to understand that violence, crime and drug use will get them put in prison. They have to udnerstand that if they are poor and have children out of wedlock, they and their children will always be poor.

And that is it. Never mind what a white person has on facebook. It does not concern you in the least.

Last edited by cachibatches; 09-26-2017 at 03:50 AM..

Old 09-26-2017, 03:37 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
No one forced you to answer.

Your answer is a clear example of White Privilege though.
OK. You had me going for a minute there.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:18 AM

11,775 posts, read 5,789,903 times
Obviously - but he in a round about way I may judge people when they post post Allah is great or Fry'em like Bacon as this does show their bigotry.

I don't think the amt of white or black friends says anything about the person. I have all white friends - but some are married to black men or I have a couple that adopted a black baby - but looking at my facebook - the OP would conclude I was racist

Old 09-26-2017, 04:52 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
There are times I have wondered. Sometimes I try to chalk it up to "they lived in an area that was about 95% White". Now, I live in the Atlanta metropolitan area. The city proper is around 52% Black (down from 63% in 2000). The metro area is around 50% White, 32% Black, 5% Asian, 10% Hispanic. On one hand, you do find many people here who have a sizable number of friends of a different race. On the other hand, you'll find many who have almost no friends of a different race.

In my case, I have wondered. If you check my facebook, I mostly have friends who are of another race than mine. I'm Black and a majority of my friends on facebook are White, Hispanic, and Asian. I am American Black, and a sizable number of friends are from Africa and the West Indies. In my personal case, it boils down to who I grew up around, who I went to college with, and the activities I was involved in.

White persons not having alot of friends of different ethnicities, it is something I have thought about in the past. On the other hand, I would need more proof than that to consider if a person has racist tendencies. A person's friends on facebook could be an indicator, if a friend of theirs is affiliated with the KKK or some other nuthouse group. If not, then friends wouldn't be the best indicator. I've met minorities who didn't have many friends of other groups. That happens alot too.

What does bother me are people who post racially motivated stuff on facebook. I've seen that on facebook. I've cut off contact with some people over that. There are times I think "you do know you have Black friends who see this stuff on your timeline". There are other posts that might raise red flags, especially with this "taking the knee" controversy. The Black Lives Matter thing, I've stayed away from that on facebook. In fact, I often avoid putting stuff on facebook of a political nature. What a person posts could raise red flags. During the 2008 election, there were several posts about former President Obama. Some of then not very nice. I sometimes wondered which ones were "well, chalk it up to loyalty towards Republicans" and which ones could have been a racial slight veiled as an anti-Obama comment. I also remember a Hispanic guy posting a photo of former President Obama portraying him as a witch doctor. This was a big red flag for me. This basically disgusted me.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Obviously - but he in a round about way I may judge people when they post post Allah is great or Fry'em like Bacon as this does show their bigotry.

I don't think the amt of white or black friends says anything about the person. I have all white friends - but some are married to black men or I have a couple that adopted a black baby - but looking at my facebook - the OP would conclude I was racist
I know a guy that I went to high school with. He posted a picture of an atomic bomb explosion saying "we need to make peace with Islam". I'm wondering "why didn't I know this side about him in high school".

I'm Black and most of my friends on facebook are White. I do know a White couple that adopted a Black child. I do know people whom the vast majority of their friends are the same race as themselves.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What about a white person that has some sort of get together like a birthday party or wedding and say 35 of 35 non-family people are white? Potential racist - consciously or subconsciously?
In order to know that, we would have to know who said person invited, why they invited who they invited, if some people turned down invitations. Or if it could be those are the friends in their social circle. I've attended two weddings in the last 4 years. At both of these weddings, I was literally the only Black person at either of them(apart from the DJ or someone else who helped prepare the wedding). I was too busy having a good time to question it. Same went for a Christmas party I attended several years ago. Not only was I the only Black person in attendance, I was one of 3 or 4 males at that party. It was something I was so used to that I didn't question it that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies