Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 10:46 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's also bad for people in states that have state income tax(most states) because these people won't be able to deduct state income taxes that they paid. This impacts WORKING people negatively because these are the folks paying state income tax.
Some people here will tell you it's allllllll good because CA/NY will suffer the most. Is there a word for schadenfreude that captures your own suffering too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
Some people here will tell you it's allllllll good because CA/NY will suffer the most. Is there a word for schadenfreude that captures your own suffering too?
I'm in suburban NY and my congressman is against this because of our high property taxes. Estimates Long Islanders could end up paying 2.5B more.

Suffolk County went for trump. I'm sure they'll be fine with this.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:02 AM

1,235 posts, read 732,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's a smoke and mirrors game trying to trick the middle class into thinking they are getting tax cuts. They already cherry picked a family of 4 that makes a fairly low income, as the example. Likely that most middle class tax payers will get a tax increase rather than a tax cut, or taxes about the same. It's worse for people that own homes because they lose the deduction for real estate taxes. It's also bad for people in states that have state income tax(most states) because these people won't be able to deduct state income taxes that they paid. This impacts WORKING people negatively because these are the folks paying state income tax.

Most people will also lose their mortgage deduction because it won't make sense to itemize only for the mortgage deduction, since real estate taxes aren't deductible. This will mean that most people lose their itemization and take the standard deduction instead. The whole reason that people itemized was because it resulted in them paying less taxes. Itemization will be pretty much wiped out for most middle class Americans. With personal exemptions gone too, most middle class will get a tax INCREASE. But billionaires and corporations will get massive tax cuts, and the middle class will pay for it in higher taxes.

People that used to be able to deduct huge medical expenses will also lose that exemption. These will likely result in more bankrupties for the middle class.
Bring it on home!

Old 09-28-2017, 11:04 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Bring it on home!
home has been repossessed, try the box at the street corner

Old 09-28-2017, 11:04 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trump-advi...opstories.html

In the interview this morning on "GMA," Cohn insisted the rich will not benefit under the plan. But when asked specifically whether the president himself will get a tax cut, Cohn would not say for sure.

haha... gotta love it.

I saw that interview, all I could think of was it should've been titled "George talks with Mr. Shuck & Jive"

Old 09-28-2017, 11:06 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
I have not yet seen a plan that would be approved by Trump, so any speculation is just speculation. He has indicated he wants lower corporate rates, and lower rates for middle income earners. He also indicated the RICH could pay more. When the bill is finalized, and presented to Trump, and if it does not include these elements, and he SIGNS IT, I will be the first one to absolutely lambaste him! (That means criticize harshly for you BLM/Antifa types)

Old 09-28-2017, 11:06 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Here is the reality of this tax "plan" the GOP is proposing. Their theory is, that if they give the richest people and companies a huge tax break, those people will take that money and reinvest it into hiring more people, building plants, and stimulating the economy. Problem is, they do NOT take that money and use it for those purposes.

What they do is keep it, or buy up stock shares. There has never been any evidence that these cuts trickle down to you and me......never. Trump and the GOP is selling us more BS.
This is factual and verifiable wrong.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:07 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
"Tinkle down" economics.
I see you haven't learned jack squat.

Money doesn't trickle down - it comes down immediately. The workers are paid immediately, and the investors get paid last if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies