Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
But the common understanding of supporting gay marriage is supporting such an institution between two consenting adults. Much like supporting abortion rights generally does not denote to supporting abortion without restrictions. But that's not what this candidate said. No, when asked, he went beyond the common understanding and talking points and stated that he was against ANY restrictions on abortions. You're comparing apples to oranges. Let's not treat this like the candidate was taking the common position.
He was taking the common position, you are simply arguing termonology and assuming that since he didnt use the words you like, that means he meant something different.

And lets be clear, the exact quote is

Quote:
No, I’m not in favor of anything that is going to infringe on a woman’s right and her freedom to choose, ” Jones said
He did not say he supports no restrictions, he said he supports the right to choose and does not want to infringe on it.

No state claims that a women has the unlimited ability to choose. the "right to choose" ends at 26 weeks unless there is a medical problem in all 50 states.

So no, even by your twisted logic, he never said what you claimed.

Last edited by dsjj251; 09-28-2017 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 10:06 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
He was takign the common position, you are simply arguing termonology and assuming that since he didnt use the words you like, that means he meant something different.

And lets be clear, the exact quote is

He did not say he supports no restrictions, he said he supports the right to choose and does not want to infringe on it.

No state claims that a women has the unlimited ability to choose. the "right to choose" ends at 26 weeks unless there is a medical problem in all 50 states.

So no, even by your twisted logic, he never said what you claimed.
Let's focus on the key part of the statement.

Quote:
No, I’m not in favor of anything that is going to infringe on a woman’s right and her freedom to choose, ” Jones said
The key part of that quote is that he is not in favor of "anything" (i.e. any restrictions based on the question). Even if you want to play that game, the majority opinion supports banning abortions at 20 weeks: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ef7d60ddcb83

Yet, when explicitly asked if he supports bans on abortions at 20 weeks "or something" like that, he states what he said. So, no matter how you dice it, his position is radical and not in line with the common position on abortion supporters. Still, as has been discussed, this candidate took out any restrictions by his answer. Stop trying to read something other than what was discussed into this debate.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Let's focus on the key part of the statement.

The key part of that quote is that he is not in favor of "anything" (i.e. any restrictions based on the question). Even if you want to play that game, the majority opinion supports banning abortions at 20 weeks: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ef7d60ddcb83

Yet, when explicitly asked if he supports bans on abortions at 20 weeks "or something" like that, he states what he said. So, no matter how you dice it, his position is radical and not in line with the common position on abortion supporters.

1. if 40 percent of the population believes something, then it is by no defintion extreme, and 40% is by defintion common.(common does not mean majority, it just means widely known)

2. I never argued who believed in it, I argued the current legal status quo that the Democratic Party supports which is 24-26 weeks as is legal in 30+ States. You have every right to disagree with my definition or my method of arguing, but that is still a shift in your argument and does not in any way make what Doug Jones said an extreme.

3. The question in the Wash post article(Quinn poll) is phrased as an ultimatum, making it a push poll,and therefore inherently inaccurate .

Quote:
Still, as has been discussed, this candidate took out any restrictions by his answer. Stop trying to read something other than what was discussed into this debate.
he did not say that in his quote. He said right to choose, which just like the right to marry is not unlimited. Your arguement assumes it is even though you know otherwise, which is intellectually dishonest.

Again, i dont understand what playing obtuse gains you here.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:47 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
I'm shocked and amazed that so many people are fine with third trimester abortion. It's been scientifically proven that a fetus can feel pain and is beginning to develop a consciousness in the third trimester. Are liberals anti-science? Pro-murdering babies? Probably both.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
I'm shocked and amazed that so many people are fine with third trimester abortion. It's been scientifically proven that a fetus can feel pain and is beginning to develop a consciousness in the third trimester. Are liberals anti-science? Pro-murdering babies? Probably both.
I dont see anyone here who said they supported 3rd term abortions.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:57 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I dont see anyone here who said they supported 3rd term abortions.
Doug Jones does and so do all the people defending him. They haven't expressed any outrage or even disagreement with Jones' extremist position.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:58 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Republicans are only pro-fetus. As soon as a needy baby is born, Republicans abandon it. Jones is correct. Only live humans need protection. Women must have full rights over their bodies.

Is the fetus not living or not human?

Old 09-29-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Doug Jones does and so do all the people defending him. They haven't expressed any outrage or even disagreement with Jones' extremist position.
Does Jones does not , and therefore no one who is defending him is in that context.

For you to even make that comment means you didnt read the thread or the actually quote of Jones.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:49 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
LOL. You do know slavery was legal, right? LOL You do know alcohol was legal, then it wasn't, then it was, right?

Who are you that you get to decide who lives or dies when no ones rights have been violated? The only reason to take a life is in defense of another life or in defense of property.

Then lets get rid of abortion since men in the Supreme Court decided it. ummkay
Make abortions illegal, and they will still take place. Criminalizing abortion will do nothing more than make it incredibly dangerous, possibly lethal.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:57 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Quote:
Stop trying to project the problems of Moore onto the other candidate.

Moore is the extremist who does not believe in law. Moore it turns out is a know nothing candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies