Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:28 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times

Advertisements

If you think about it, it's kind of silly how the national anthem gets played at all these sporting events. From kids games, high school, college and pro sports. it seems like its fake patriotism to me. Do other countries do this?

I think its more appropriate for special events like a sports all star game, International games (U.S vs a foreign team) and Olympic games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,373,731 times
I think its more appropriate not to allow Progs to participate in sporting events.

(what I just said makes as much sense as what you said. )

Old 09-21-2017, 10:31 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
It's a battle/fight song. Talks about "perilous fight" and "rocket's red glare". Sports is a battle. Makes sense to have it played with sports IMO, and the Patriotism of it is the gravy.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:39 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
It's less than fake patriotism. It's just a ritual that we will probably keep. Most people couldn't care less about the pre-game national anthem. It only rarely shows up on TV broadcasts because it is considered a waste of time and cuts into commercials or commentators' remarks. On some occasions it is a curiosity based on what celebrity is going to sing it (or screw it up). Do people in the beer line even notice?

Old 09-21-2017, 10:42 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you think about it, it's kind of silly how the national anthem gets played at all these sporting events. From kids games, high school, college and pro sports. it seems like its fake patriotism to me. Do other countries do this?

I think its more appropriate for special events like a sports all star game, International games (U.S vs a foreign team) and Olympic games.
Most countries only play anthems in relation to International matches or major sporting occasions.

Football (Soccer) clubs often play the clubs anthem before games, an example would be Liverpool who sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' before matches, but there are numerous other examples.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-21-2017 at 11:05 AM..

Old 09-21-2017, 10:43 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
It's just as silly to say that others should stop playing it as it is to demand others must stand.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:45 AM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I was at a car show over the Summer and at 6 pm they made an announcement for everyones attention and they played the anthem. I thought it was a terrific moment, utter silence, hands on hearts some saluting as we looked toward the American Flag that was flying from a pole.

It gave me time to reflect among my fellow Americans of all ages, backgrounds, military service, their love of country and cars.
We are so lucky to live in such a wonderful country where we have the opportunity to work hard and smart and we have the resources to own and show a classic/ antique car.

Whenever or wherever the Anthem is played we should take that moment to thank all those who came before us, the ones who sacrificed, fought, bleed and died for us so we could have the joy of living in and raising a family in the greatest country ever or watching a sports game or hanging out at a car show.

The anthem is generally played/sung in under 2 minutes, which is not a long time to stand and reflect on how lucky we all are.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
It's less than fake patriotism. It's just a ritual that we will probably keep. Most people couldn't care less about the pre-game national anthem. It only rarely shows up on TV broadcasts because it is considered a waste of time and cuts into commercials or commentators' remarks. On some occasions it is a curiosity based on what celebrity is going to sing it (or screw it up). Do people in the beer line even notice?
Have you heard about the NFL's ratings dropping since the player protests started up?

I don't think you are correct on your assessment...

Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times
It's being used to make political statements.

A team of 8 year olds took to their knees and turned their backs to the flag at a pee-wee game to support the St Louis protesters.

More than likely it was the coach that was protesting and those 8 year olds had no clue why they did what they did.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ors/684292001/

Old 09-21-2017, 10:48 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post

Why bedifferent than other countries?

The intent of 'sports' is to promote unity, teamwork, build character thru the ups and downs of the game, overcome hardships, never give up, and accept set backs with grace and wins with humility.

The NA is certainly appropriate, as it recognoizes the sacrifices made to create and maintain a peaceful country where a sporting event may take place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies