Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support repeal of the Estate Tax?
I support repeal of the Estate Tax. 117 50.21%
I do not support repeal of the Estate Tax. 116 49.79%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:22 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
That's not your call ,it;s stealing and that's not right be it from a man on the street or the Federal goverment.
Tell me do you think all taxes are theft? Why do you want to empower a small class of people at the expense of the many? The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Then you want to live in a Kingdom. But even under the rule of one King (I forget which one) the "buying back of one's inheritance" (estate tax) was believed to be evil, and it was done away with.

You must believe that the government is the ultimate owner of all things. You need to study some history.

Our Constitution is a Contract between the States which created the Federal Government. The Powers delegated to the Federal Government were limited to: "war, peace, negotiations and foreign commerce." (Federalist 45)

The Federal Government was given no power to tax income or ones inheritance (which the Framers believed was evil). The Federal Government's taxing power was limited to foreign commerce.
Times change slavishly following the founders is the road to ruin. The Us could not function as a modern nation state without taxation. If people like you had there way we would be living in huts and working small farms. I think taxes are fair trade off to a well ordered society.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:26 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Florida relies on money it receives from the federal estate tax. The purpose of the estate tax is to prevent disparities in wealth that may lead to societal disruption. The estate tax serves a vital function. Taxes are not theft. If you believe that then no tax will ever meet your approval.
You are trying to deal with mental children.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You are trying to deal with mental children.
Mental children that can vote...

Old 09-29-2017, 07:30 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Estate Tax should be 100 percent. Let the billionaires children actually compete no more bailouts. An exemption could be made for a family home or farm under 2 million.
Actually, the biggest bailout went to Fannie and Freddie, not to billionaires. The Federal Reserve created $2 trillion in QE to buy Fannie and Freddie MBS. How do we know that happened, and with nary a Congressional vote to do so? Look at the Federal Reserve's H.4.1s:

The Federal Reserve's Agency (Agency = GSE: Fannie and Freddie) MBS (Mortgage-Backed Securities) in 2008: $0
FRB: H.4.1 Release--Factors Affecting Reserve Balances--December 4, 2008

The Federal Reserve's current Agency (GSE: Fannie and Freddie) MBS: $1.775 Trillion
https://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/current/

Old 09-29-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, the biggest bailout went to Fannie and Freddie, not to billionaires. The Federal Reserve created $2 trillion in QE to buy Fannie and Freddie MBS. How do we know that happened, and with nary a Congressional vote to do so? Look at the Federal Reserve's H.4.1s:

The Federal Reserve's Agency (Agency = GSE: Fannie and Freddie) MBS (Mortgage-Backed Securities) in 2008: $0
FRB: H.4.1 Release--Factors Affecting Reserve Balances--December 4, 2008

The Federal Reserve's current Agency (GSE: Fannie and Freddie) MBS: $1.775 Trillion
https://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/current/
I don't think we should be bailing out the banks either .

Old 09-29-2017, 07:33 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Times change slavishly following the founders is the road to ruin.
Disagree. The Founding Fathers got most thing RIGHT! Nobody is advocating "slavishly" following them when it doesn't make sense.

Quote:
The Us could not function as a modern nation state without taxation. If people like you had there way we would be living in huts and working small farms. I think taxes are fair trade off to a well ordered society.
Totally agree. I think taxes are necessary for the things we need government to do that the private sector can not do, or would be unable to do properly. However, taxes, and government need to be LIMITED. Blindly allowing government to tax, spend, and constantly GROW is destroying our freedoms, and is wealth confiscation. A lot of bad things in history were done as "legal" at the time.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Disagree. The Founding Fathers got most thing RIGHT! Nobody is advocating "slavishly" following them when it doesn't make sense.

Totally agree. I think taxes are necessary for the things we need government to do that the private sector can not do, or would be unable to do properly. However, taxes, and government need to be LIMITED. Blindly allowing government to tax, spend, and constantly GROW is destroying our freedoms, and is wealth confiscation. A lot of bad things in history were done as "legal" at the time.
Obviously to much taxation is bad I agree but I don't think the estate tax should repealed it should be strengthened. Why does some brat get handed millions just because of his blood? Its undemocratic let him earn like everyone else.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:37 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times
This poll is like having a question:

Do you like sex?
Do you want some great food?
Do you want some free money?

Why not look at history? Adam Smith. Thomas Jefferson.

They all said that intergenerational wealth is incompatible with a free and fair society. They said money and life is for the living and the next generation, not something to be passed along.

Haven't we been working for hundreds of years to do away with a societal system where all the money is at the top? Yet somehow many of you have been convinced otherwise.

I have a simpler question.

Do we have a National Debt and a Yearly Deficit?

There is only ONE true answer to this. YES.

And IF and SINCE we do, those asking for fewer taxes are greedy, selfish or ignorant. There is no other excuse.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:38 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
I don't think we should be bailing out the banks either .
Fannie and Freddie aren't banks, they're federal government-sponsored MBS-issuers. They bundle mortgages and sell them to investors as securities. Only in this case, the Federal Reserve had to create $2 trillion in new money to artificially pump it into Fannie and Freddie MBS to keep Fannie and Freddie (which either own or guarantee just over $6 trillion worth of MBS) afloat.

That's an extra $2 trillion artificially injected into the economy just to keep Fannie and Freddie from crashing and not being able to fund their obligations to investors which range everywhere from American workers'/retirees' 401Ks and pension funds to foreign governments.

The huge $2 trillion bailout of Fannie and Freddie is one of the most significant untold stories of the 2008 financial crisis. No other bailout even comes close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies