Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:34 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,763,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You should probably read more about the losses the cable companies have suffered over the past years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-integration

Cable TV Curbs Subscriber Losses But Cord Cutters Continue to Grow - Business Insider

Cord Cutting: Subscribers Abandon AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon Cable | Fortune.com

Pay TV Providers Are Weathering the Loss of Cord-Cutting Subscribers – Variety

Many have cut their cords (I did in 2014) because the costs are high, you pay for channels you don't want, you can find most of what you want to watch online, etc. I have long been trying to tell them that if they would allow people to "build a package" instead of making them pick between pre-built by the company, they would have more customers, and one company was considering it for a time, but still didn't quite get it. (Not saying they got the idea from me, otherwise they would have got it right.)

I cut it because I only watched a few of the channels out of all of the ones I had to get with the package, I was tired of 7 minutes of show, 5 minutes of commercial, another 7 minutes of show, another 5 minutes of commercial...God, enough with the non stop advertising. When cable came out, we paid for it so we didn't get ads. Now the ads are almost as long as the program.

The cable companies are hurting. Not because of this particular boycott, but the OP is actually cutting the cord for the reasons many have in the past - it's filled with shows they don't want to watch.

Cable tv, aside from HBO, was never ad free. When cable started it only carried broadcast stations which had been showing ads since tv broadcasting began.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 07:34 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,583,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I got rid of cable along with tens of millions of others to protest >$120 monthly bills.
I just have internet and that's still $65 a month.

but I like having wifi in the house and having wifi hotspots all over town.

I wish I could be the phone rep who hears the OP's reason for cutting the chord. I'm sure they will record it and play it at lunch in the breakroom

crazy talk. lol

Old 09-29-2017, 07:35 AM

11,906 posts, read 5,548,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
You must have missed my post about Free TV with an Antenna.

(Post #22)

As mentioned, I get more TV than ever. Right now about 25 different channels. In my rural area to boot.
More specific information would be welcome. Twenty-five doesn't sound like many to me, though...can you tell us what they are?

Old 09-29-2017, 07:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,583,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
More specific information would be welcome. Twenty-five doesn't sound like many to me, though...can you tell us what they are?
cbs
nbc
fox
cw
Bounce TV
This movie
H&I
Home shopping network
PBS
Univision
Ion
Telemundo

and like 3 or 4 local independent channels.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:45 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,885,199 times
Truth is -- the trend is to cut the cable/dish chords anyways.

But just for the record -- boycotting is a social justice warrior move.

Welcome to the club -- lol.

(I am personally not a good social justice warrior -- no time for boycotts and banning -- I avoid -- but pffft...who cares -- they don't ).

Old 09-29-2017, 07:48 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,389,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
ABC

NBC

CBS

PBS

Fox

ME-TV (My favorite)

Get-TV

Decades

Grit

CW

Laff

Cozi-TV

H & I

Bonce

Escape

ION

Religious Channel

QVC (and many others like it)

Plus, a lot of the Channels split.

For example we get Fox 1, 2, 3 and 4.

All Free.

By the way, in our household, 25 is plenty enough.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:51 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,763,701 times
What it simply comes down to is this, you will never make a proper value judgment if you think of all the channels you don't watch. The way you have to think of it it, which networks do you watch all the time and is that content worth the price of you cable? For me I would rather slit my wrists than watch 99 percent of the crap they show on broadcast, so it's worth it.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:56 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,722,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
With my Antenna, I get 3 or 4 different Fox Channels.
What kind of antenna do you use? Do you live near a major city?

Old 09-29-2017, 07:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,743,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Thanks for politicizing everything. You have permanently lost a customer. Even though I dont have any sports or movies packages, I am still getting rid of basic cable because the award shows, late night comedy, sports events are turning into your political platform. You do not understand my middle class issues & your protests are against hardworking, struggling people like me. Hope you have enough paying customers who agree with your hateful rhetoric. Award shows used to be huge event with my friends but they are quickly turning into heated political debates so thanks for taking that away from me. Going to hang out with friends at coffee shops, go for a hike, visit the farmers market....rather than watching tv or movies with them.

#MAHA - Make America Healthy Again .....get rid of your cable

"Cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind here. The only effect this will have is that you will lose access to some things, otherwise it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Putting your head in the sand will not make these protests and debates. This is a difficult time in America, and until we get Trump out of office it will continue.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:07 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,389,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
What kind of antenna do you use? Do you live near a major city?
We have a very high quality double type antenna made by Antenna Direct. There are many different options available which you can see online. Now, ours is just used indoor, but outdoor can make a big difference. The antenna has 2 drawbacks though. It doesn't like obstructions, like trees, etc and it doesn't like wind. But we do just fine with it and don't mind the minor inconvenience once in a while, like wind in our case.

If you do install one outdoors though, get it professionally installed and make sure it is properly grounded.

We are about 20 Miles from a small city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies