Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were Trump's Tweets Attacking Puerto Rico Justified?
YES. San Juan Mayor Carmen Cruz's comments against Trump were exaggerated and she deserved a harsh reply. 105 36.71%
NO. Trump's tweets were heartless and mean, given that many PR residents have no water, food, gas, cell phone service, and no medical supplies. 181 63.29%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 01:33 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times

Advertisements

I am not sure why people are blaming President Trump. The President sets priorities and can order the military to help. Without declaring martial law he CANNOT take over state and local government and order them to do anything!!!

So those concerned with Trump and the hurricane, what specific actions did Trump NOT DO or specific presidential orders that hindered the recovery efforts??

I know you don't like him personally. But it seems to me the Federal response has been way beyond what was done just a few years ago. Remember, this is the third major disaster in less than a month. The Federal disaster workers must be running on fumes at this point.

BTW....FEMA use to recommend that folks be prepared to survive on their own for three days. Three days is the quickest that significant Federal help can start to arrive. Trust me on this this one.

Just before this string of disasters they have upped that to one week.

If you live in an area that has LARGE disasters lake earthquakes or hurricanes I would be prepared to be self-sufficient for two weeks or more.

Life is not TV folks. Real life happens in real time. And it takes a lot of effort by LOTS of people to respond to a disaster.

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I am not a political 'strategist' but how stupid does one have to be to know that Trump is not just acting in a morally bankrupt manner, but also a politically idiotic manner?

All he would have had to do is to leave Melania and her designer wardrobe and his promotional hats at home, fly down there today, show some sympathy and hug the mayor, rather than behave how he has?

He would have at least appeared to be a good man, instead of an imperious buffoon.
You understand that if trump flies in, everything, including ALL incoming relief flights STOPS....yes?????

I thought the left wants relief?

Amazing how stupid the left is when it comes to logistics....

210 posts, read 97,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
You ought to include all of that sentence for context otherwise you are being disingenuous. 97% of the 23% that voted.

Those who voted overwhelmingly chose statehood by 97%; turnout, however, was 23%, a historically low figure.
You're right, there were boycotts as I indicated in my post but polls and the 2012 vote still favored statehood.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:35 PM

341 posts, read 302,322 times
Quote:
The governor doesn't seem to agree with her.

Puerto Rico governor: More needed, but feds have helped - CNN
People are sheep and just want to shoot from the hip because the truth doesn't support their narrative. The fact is, there are a lot of supplies and help there. A big problem is the infrastructure is so bad that the help can't get to a lot of the people. Is that Trumps fault too? The mayor just wants to politicize this, and all the Trump haters just want to lap it all up.

Houston and Florida have the advantage of being able to drive there with infrastructure that's light years ahead of what's in Puerto Rico. You had Utility trucks from Maine driving down to help restore electricity and it still took weeks to get some of it back. You don't have the luxury of having trucks with skilled workers drive to Puerto Rico within a couple of days.

Stories are coming out from people on the ground that it's far different from what's being reported and what's being screamed by San Juan's Mayor. Are they still in a bad place? Yes, but the help is there, the supplies are there and more coming every day. But people don't want to focus on that. They just want to politicize it.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:35 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
They are using satellite phones for back-up communications.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ico/716968001/

Normally after a big disaster, satellite phone usage lasts about three to five days and then falls off as temporary cell towers mounted on trucks are brought in.

“That isn’t happening in Puerto Rico. We’ve had eight days of incredible spiking of usage — up 100 times over normal,” he said.

There are usually no more than ten Iridium
phones working in Puerto Rico. As of Friday, that number was around 2,000, he said.
Which for a disaster of this proportion and location is not reliable. I am talking about hardened backup communications that the local government should have in place to aid in recovery efforts in the immediate. Hopefully they learn from this.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:38 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The distance from US to PR is 1100 miles, so you are way off. If we had sent WASP class ships with helicopters when the storm struck, they would have been there a long time ago delivering medicine and fuel to hospitals.
The USS Kearsarge (a Wasp class ship) and the USS Oak Hill (a Harpers Ferry-class dock landing ship) were dispatched to Puerto Rico before Maria made landfall there.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:38 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
I do. And Trump delayed the waiver unnecessarily. And apparently it's only good for ten days.

Profits before people, yeah?

It's a start, where was it waived for TX and FL?

Old 09-30-2017, 01:40 PM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA.89 View Post
It's amazing how many times Trump has an opportunity to be a leader and he royally ****s it up.
Tragic that we have a president and commander in chief that cares less about people and more about himself. To not know or even find out where Puerto Rico is and come out and just blabber about how stupid he really is; disgraceful, to say the least.

Why can't he be fired. This is getting serious. Lives are at stake. The man needs to resign, if no one will impose article 25 on the dude. He is acting like king of the world.

Trump must have a green heart and green blood, all he cares about are his ratings and his money.

Air Force one should drop him off in the middle of Puerto Rico and tell him that they will see him in a week or so. Lets see how he would make out without his people waiting on him and grinning at him like they are in love with him. Sickening, I can't stand to look or listen to the man; never could stand him to begin with, now.....................

Old 09-30-2017, 01:40 PM

210 posts, read 97,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It's a start, where was it waived for TX and FL?
I told you. Go back and look.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:41 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Which for a disaster of this proportion and location is not reliable. I am talking about hardened backup communications that the local government should have in place to aid in recovery efforts in the immediate. Hopefully they learn from this.
I don't understand what you are saying. Can you be more specific about what you mean as far as the hardened backup communications they should have had in place. Since the local government is communicating, maybe they did have a plan in place and it's being executed. Although there are many local governments, so one town's plan might he different than a larger city's plan.

Seems it's the citizens are impacted due to power outages and cell tower outages. The satellite phones are being used but not everyone has one, of course.

Last edited by sware2cod; 09-30-2017 at 01:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies