Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 03:09 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The elderly tend to vote Republican. They brought it on themselves.
Another case of voting against one's self interest. When will they learn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 03:12 PM

691 posts, read 419,993 times
its been my understanding that labor all the days of our life in one form or another is -one of the things you can count on- of living life ( word of God backs that up but not to turn this away from the core topic)

i honestly believe that older people are being driven back to work because of Consumerism.

the whole tin foil hat thing where: there are companies that dont know when to stop looking for bigger and bigger profits, cutting labor forces , reducing wages, upping prices, lowering quality and durability of the goods. ( but the massive amounts of ads will confirm- you NEED the product and just so smart for buying it!)

the price of necessities go up and up ( water, gas, food, rent or taxes) and some how never gets classified as extortion.

working full time or over time- working to the most meticulous degree is no promise of a stable and dependable life for a person and their family.

I honestly can not figure out how my grandfather worked in a steel yard and paid for himself his wife and 5 kids and a house and car on just that one pay check. he must have been way tougher than me or anyone i've ever met.

Last edited by mstelm; 09-30-2017 at 03:21 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 03:13 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Certainly not a new topic, but the latest article on the sobering reality facing many older Americans and those about to join that demographic in the future.

Our country doesn't value old age, instead it considers them washed up and left to fend for themselves in favor of youth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...al-insecurity/
Retiring isn't a right. For thousands of years people had to work until the end.

I don't see any other animals who get to retire a couple of decades (relatively speaking) before the end.

If you want to retire, make sacrifices decades before so that you can.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:17 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I don't see ever retiring. Between high and ever increasing property taxes and worries about health care expenses... how can anyone ever save enough for retirement?
Live in "fly-over" country with all the "dumb and backwards" people I suppose.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:19 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Did I miss it or why doesn't this guy have social security? That would be a big help even if he had to work.

I am frankly tired of hearing this old lie. Elderly get social security, medicare, and discounts on things just for being old. There are reverse mortgages... over 55 housing. The whole world bends the knee to them. And as was mentioned, they had their whole lives to save for a rainy day or invest... they chose not to.

I agree that there is a horrible age discrimination problem but honestly what do they expect? Their problem is that they believed the lie that they could work forever and never looked into reality or planned for problems down the road.

The media just *loooovvvees* this kind of story as it tugs at the heart and says we need to do more. But as usual.. it is the people who have it pretty good that just keep on complaining. As recently as 1930 there was no social security or medicare. If you were old and a woman you might as well just kill yourself because life truly wasn't worth living. You had to work all day doing laundry or some back breaking work, no time off... and no sick days and you could be fired for any reason.

Why can't they do jobs like other people: Uber, Left, Safai, Task Rabbit.. and a gazillion other ways of making money.

No they have to go find the worst job they can find so they can day "oh woe is me". No you chose all of that and now you want the world to feel bad for you. Nope.

I know a few young people who are in severely dire straights. No income, no family, and no ability to get an education because of the insane tuitions. But they just do they best they can and cheerfully live in a house with 20 other people and sleep on the floor. It is all about expectations.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:21 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Some people don't want to retire because they like being with others, staying active and having a little extra cash. Some who have retired go back to work part time because they don't want to be isolated.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:23 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The elderly tend to vote Republican. They brought it on themselves.
What an ugly comment. Also pretty dim considering you latch on to a single variable, age.

Sigh. Education rip.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:29 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
full "retirement" is an idea only a couple of generations old. It was based on a the temporary condition of the US being the only prominent industrial power after WWII. If anyone was able to fully retire, it was because he was living with his children.

So the US is being forced back into the reality the rest of the world has always known.
Ya' just gotta love the race back to the bottom globalism advocates.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:31 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
He had a whole lifetime to save for retirement. No sympathy here.
Retroit, we are supposed to have a safety net system for people who need help because of physical issues, not for people who are still young, having kids they can't afford, people who live off the system and suck up the resources meant for people like this. I'd rather help these people who appeared to have paid their way while they were able than dead beats who refuse to work. I've posted many times about this train wreck but was only sneered at by ... I'll give you a guess.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
You don't have to work until you die. There are still many inexpensive places to live in the US and abroad.

For example, my sister-in-law's mother is enjoying her later years in life living in Ecuador, living on nothing but her social security check. There are many other countries that offer this kind of lifestyle. And if you don't want to leave the country, there are many fine, safe retirement communities in the US that offer cheap living.

Above all, don't be careless with your money. Make your financial health as much of a priority as your physical, mental, and social well-being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies