Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 05:54 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This goes back to the same question of what do you want either party to "do for" Blacks?? I agree that both parties should call out police brutality and discrimination, but beyond that, I can never get a specific answer on what the government or the US should "do for" blacks. What do Democrats/Republicans "do for" whites (including those in rural areas), Hispanics, or Asians?
Well, the subject of who Blacks for seems to be a big subject of debate. It has been for a while, at least of city-data. There are those who complain about Blacks not voting Republican, or Blacks voting for Democrats alot. Part of me feels like it is no one's business. On the other hand, with this subject ranging from levels of curiosity to resentment/complaining, it does leave me with some things I need to bring up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 09:12 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Disagree with this, generally speaking. What shared identity do "black" people have? Hell, the "black" label as used today is itself a product of slavery/colonialism, contrived and imposed on diverse African groups by others.
You answered your own question.

Slavery is the shared identity. Those black slaves from the Western most nations of Africa melded their cultures as slaves, and that is what we have as African Americans.

So there is no Igbo, Akan, Hausa or Yoruba cultures in the U.S. like there are different Asian cultures.

You can find a China town or Korea town in most major cities, but never an Igbo town, even though outside of the West coast, black people outnumber Asians by a mile. There are a couple of Africa towns though furthering my point.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Nine percent of the black population is foreign born and their children are not descendants of Americans slaves. That means that approximately 20 percent of the "Black" population is NOT black American.
When talking about population(Census data), children are included in the 9%.

Quote:
No one said the statistics were the same as Asians. However, 20 percent is significant. People should stop acting like every black person is the same. We do not all come from the same culture or have one experience. That is reality.
But you are still splitting hairs and your response was intellectually dishonest. It makes it look like you purposefully misinterpreted or magnified a specific portion of my comment so that you could go on a rant.

There is a giant difference between saying black people in america have a shared culture vs saying all black people are alike.

And just to split hairs(LOL), I thought native Africans who immigrated here werent colloquially considered black ????? Black is a term specifically used to identity descendants of slavery because we dont know our heritage, akin to the use of the term African American( a Nigerian would be Nigerian-American, not African american)

Old 10-02-2017, 09:45 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I often hear conservatives and others tell blacks that they are misguided for voting for Democrats in high numbers due to he fact that democrats are not doing anything for blacks. They point to democrat run cities with high rates of poverty and crime and other issues still plaguing the black community.

Is that fair? Now, I too recognize that democrats are not doing much for black in recent times, but the question is why? Think of it this way. What happens when people take antibiotics in too low dosages? The answer is that it does not do the job of making you well. In fact, doing so allows the bacterial to mutate and develop resistance to the treatment. You cannot say that using antibiotics is a failure when the problem is that you did not apply enough of it to eradicate the infection, thus allowing the bacterial to mutate.

Blacks continue to struggle, relative to other groups, despite voting democrat, because whites keep the dosage of treatment to low.

So you want to see even more money thrown at problems without tangible evidence money is what is lacking?
That is what it sounds like with your attempt at a sophomoric comparative analogy with low does of antibiotics.
It is funny how the black culture and black urban areas were doing better before all the Democrats since LBJ decided blacks could not fend for themselves, and came up with all sorts of social welfare schemes. It was nothing more than a cynical attempt to trick blacks into thinking they should stop voting for (R's), and start voting for (D's).
LBJ was a knwn racist, and often used the N word to describe just regualr blacks, not scum. He said, and I quote;

"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference... I'll have them n iggers voting Democratic for the next two hundred years"

Sadly, his ploy seems to be working. I could go on, but hopefully some blacks will view this video which explains the differences between how the (R's) think vs. the (D's) when it comes to blacks and whom they should vote for;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVXSjNH8aH4

`

Old 10-02-2017, 09:52 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I often hear conservatives and others tell blacks that they are misguided for voting for Democrats in high numbers due to he fact that democrats are not doing anything for blacks. They point to democrat run cities with high rates of poverty and crime and other issues still plaguing the black community.

Is that fair? Now, I too recognize that democrats are not doing much for black in recent times, but the question is why? Think of it this way. What happens when people take antibiotics in too low dosages? The answer is that it does not do the job of making you well. In fact, doing so allows the bacterial to mutate and develop resistance to the treatment. You cannot say that using antibiotics is a failure when the problem is that you did not apply enough of it to eradicate the infection, thus allowing the bacterial to mutate.

Blacks continue to struggle, relative to other groups, despite voting democrat, because whites keep the dosage of treatment to low. The democratic party is the only party offering treatment and the opposition party, the republicans, seek to keep the treatment as low as possible, as they advocate to let your immune system handle it. The problem is that if the democratic party attempts to increase the dosage, they WILL LOSE WHITE VOTERS who will flip to the opposition party.

The democratic party really cannot target and help blacks without losing a lot of independent and swing white voters. The democratic party is still dependent upon a significant percentage of white voters. There are racist people who vote democrat due to one or two special interest, but who otherwise are conservative. If the party moves to much to help black people it risk losing many white voters and hence elections. The collective condition of blacks is not going to be changed by the policies of mayors or even governors. It it most impacted by federal policy and programs.

It's disingenuous or ignorant to say that democrats have failed blacks despite our overwhelming support. It's suicidal for the democratic party to put forth an all out effort to improve the condition of blacks because such a platform would make many white voters switch to vote republican. The less the democratic party does for blacks, in this era,.....the larger percentage of the white vote it can get. The more it seeks to target blacks for help, the lesser percentage of the white vote it will get resulting in less of a chance at winning elections. Lets be honest.....if the democratic party came out with a proposal and program for reparations (not a check) but a funded targeted effort aimed at blacks specifically......what is the chance of winning a national election with that on the platform?

Democrats are not failing blacks......America is failing blacks.
Another big government freak who wants government to raise people from cradle to grave. No doubt government with it's welfare and quotas are keeping minorities down but individuals are failing themselves, period.

Explain to me why you think blacks, or anyone, are so helpless that they need welfare and the nanny state? It's not surprising that people who continually receive handouts will rarely make it on their own.

And lets face some facts. Facts that you'll continue to ignore. Progressive policies are known failures. They don't suceed in the long run ever. That's been proven time and time again, yet you want to continue with these same failed big government policies with government raising people from cradle to grave? Why?

Old 10-02-2017, 10:02 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Another big government freak who wants government to raise people from cradle to grave. No doubt government with it's welfare and quotas are keeping minorities down but individuals are failing themselves, period.

Explain to me why you think blacks, or anyone, are so helpless that they need welfare and the nanny state? It's not surprising that people who continually receive handouts will rarely make it on their own.

And lets face some facts. Facts that you'll continue to ignore. Progressive policies are known failures. They don't suceed in the long run ever. That's been proven time and time again, yet you want to continue with these same failed big government policies with government raising people from cradle to grave? Why?
Great questions. The blacks I call friend have taken ownership of their lives and are successful. They aren't whining online or anywhere else and demanding government assistance. I find that perspective pitiful and disgusting. Most guilty white liberals don't though. The last thing the left wants is an independently successful minority voter.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:41 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
I've said it, before: African Americans are well aware of the hypocrisies of so-called social liberalism. The segregated New York City school system is one prime example! But just like I also said that African-Americans should come from an "all inclusive" angle, I do strongly believe the flip side; that both liberals and conservatives (or Democrats and Republicans) need to truly understand the complex issue surrounding African Americans. It's more complex than "you need more money," and it's more complex than "change the culture within yourselves!"

Old 10-03-2017, 03:47 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You answered your own question.

Slavery is the shared identity. Those black slaves from the Western most nations of Africa melded their cultures as slaves, and that is what we have as African Americans.

So there is no Igbo, Akan, Hausa or Yoruba cultures in the U.S. like there are different Asian cultures.

You can find a China town or Korea town in most major cities, but never an Igbo town, even though outside of the West coast, black people outnumber Asians by a mile. There are a couple of Africa towns though furthering my point.
Not at all. What you are ignoring is that you now have Igbo, Akan, Hausa and Yoruba people living in the U.S., among others.

People of African origin in the U.S. are no longer just African-American. You don't need an Igbo town to know that and creating such places is not generally something that Africans do.

Slavery is not an identity, sorry. Identity is far more than that. A Jamaican is a Jamaican, not an African-American, for example.

The U.S. now has a significant number of people who are of African origin but from different cultures than AAs. Not just from Africa but the Caribbean and Latin America also. So the entire U.S. "black" population does not have a shared identity.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:00 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
When talking about population(Census data), children are included in the 9%.

But you are still splitting hairs and your response was intellectually dishonest. It makes it look like you purposefully misinterpreted or magnified a specific portion of my comment so that you could go on a rant.

There is a giant difference between saying black people in america have a shared culture vs saying all black people are alike.

And just to split hairs(LOL), I thought native Africans who immigrated here werent colloquially considered black ????? Black is a term specifically used to identity descendants of slavery because we dont know our heritage, akin to the use of the term African American( a Nigerian would be Nigerian-American, not African american)
False and your statements are intellectually dishonest. The children are not included in the 9 percent if they are born in the U.S. The 9 percent are the immigrant generation and the American-born are in addition to that. Not because American society refuses to count us in the way that they do the Asians doesn't mean we do not exist.

Black and African-American are not one in the same. There are descendants of slaves in the U.S who are not African-American. Those are the people of Caribbean and Latin American origin. A Haitian will call himself black but he is not an African-American.

It's not just Africans and African-Americans in the U.S. and you know very well that all tend to be lumped together due to how American society has always treated people of African origin.

It is not splitting hairs. Only those who would rather ignore the existence of others feel that way. "Black" people in the U.S. do not all share a common culture. The other poster was correct. There are people of various cultures among the U.S. "black" population.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Nine percent of the black population is foreign born and their children are not descendants of Americans slaves. That means that approximately 20 percent of the "Black" population is NOT black American.

No one said the statistics were the same as Asians. However, 20 percent is significant. People should stop acting like every black person is the same. We do not all come from the same culture or have one experience. That is reality.
I don't know where you get the 20% from 9%. You have to figure that some of that 9% are foreign born children. Also, you cannot assume that all the children produced in America by someone foreign born was with a mate that was also foreign born. Hey....the one drop rule applies...lol. If a foreign born black person has a child with an American black person....that person is African American. Besides, many single foreign born married Americans, partly in order to get citizenship in America. So I don't really know how to classify children from such unions. I almost married an Ethiopian. How would our children have been classified? To me, they would have been African American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies