Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 09:35 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I agree that the players can express their true feelings on their own time. But what would be the point of a private demonstration? Can a visual protest actually exist if there's no one there to see it? A player is sitting at home, finishing up breakfast, and then takes a knee in the kitchen? I don't think so.

What would the Boston Tea Party - pretty much the first political protest in this country - have accomplished if the participants had rounded up whatever tea they happened to have at home, and gone outside at night with a shovel, and quietly buried the tea?

The players are getting paid to play. And they play. The peaceful protest some are engaged in does not delay, impede, or otherwise impact the actual game itself.

If people are offended by a peaceful, non-violent demonstration by players who would otherwise just be standing there, they don't have to watch. And many are choosing not to watch. That's fine - they're exercising their freedom to choose. So are the players.

Instead of these players and now whole teams refusing to be on the field for the NA they should/could do this on their own time and you bet the media would cover them. Classic example would be for the Bears to start getting involved with the city of Chicago where there and hundreds of black on black deaths there every year. Start getting the hypocrites like Jackson and Sharpton involved there too and who's that other guy who's from there that was just president for 8 years? This might be tough to do during the season but why didn't they do anything on their own time once the season ended? They have months to do this but chose not to yet they'd rather disrespect the flag and our country on game day because they're to lazy to do this on their own personal time!

Lets face it the media has no interest covering these crimes because for one they don't make for a good race bating fight and another they're trying to protect these liberal hell holes. You can all but guarantee if this were in some deep red state it would be plastered all over the news 24/7.

You're right the people have the right to not watch but they're not taking a knee at the stadiums or at their jobs. We're doing this on our free time along with those who are burning their jerseys and not buying team merchandise from teams like the Stealers. Funny how you think no one will see players doing this on their own time but there's been plenty of media coverage of fans boycotting the NFL this past week,and yet no fans doing this at their jobs either.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:11 AM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
Who cares, I never watch them anyway?

Old 10-01-2017, 11:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
And what's going to happen if most or all the players on a team take a knee? Nothing! Those owners won't risk it.
How many just watched to start of the Pitts/Balt game? Not one player was kneeing and most were singing or trying to sing the Anthem. There were a couple of players talking, but only a couple. Someone has gotten to them, thank God.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:27 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
How many just watched to start of the Pitts/Balt game? Not one player was kneeing and most were singing or trying to sing the Anthem. There were a couple of players talking, but only a couple. Someone has gotten to them, thank God.
They knelt, to cascade of what sounded like boos, for peace and unity before the anthem.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:37 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,454,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Looks like the NBA doesn't want to step in it and take a financial hit like the NFL did. MAGA

NEW YORK (AP) — The NBA players must stand for the national anthem.
https://apnews.com/de8b63c5ac194bb6b2de982da2cc530e
************ Existing NBA Rule*******************

A little sneaky there are you? The NBA already has an existing rule that players and coaches have to stand for the anthem. This is not giving in to the in the White House. The NFL does not have a rule in the CBA for this. Don't know about MLB since one player so far has knelt.

Quote:
On Thursday, Adam Silver stated to reporters that he expects players and coaches to stand for the national anthem. In the memo, the NBA reiterates that individual teams “do not have the discretion to waive” the anthem rule. The exact wording of the rule is as follows:

2) Players, coaches, and trainers are to stand and line up in a dignified posture along the sidelines or on the foul line during the playing of the National Anthem.
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/9/...and-kneel-rule

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-01-2017 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 10-01-2017, 11:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
They knelt, to cascade of what sounded like boos, for peace and unity before the anthem.
no problem before the anthem even though I still hate it and have a problem with what they really think they will accomplish other than backlash. I have a problem with them kneeling during the anthem. it is the same as a high school football game: want to have a minute of silence before the game: that is fine, but not a prayer.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:42 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Hmmm... having respect for the country you live in, the flag, and the anthem isn't idolizing it. Of course, I wouldn't expect to see any liberals having much respect for anything about America.
I am not going to respect an anthem I don't agree with. Unlike many people, I actually listen to and comprehend the words of the anthem. I don't worship military personnel just because they are the military, and I certainly don't worship war and our politicians who can't wait to drag us into every war they can. I respect individual military personnel as individuals if they are worthy of respect, as I do servers, police, and doctors. If a military member lives an honorable life in all aspects, they certainly deserve respect. But if they don't, they don't deserve it just because they signed up for the Army or Navy.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:57 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Actually it's funny because those who protest 'kneel' during the anthem; however, kneeling is a sign of respect. ??
Maybe in some kind of Dungeons & Dragons, or Star Wars, Geeksterville... alternative universe.

But the other 87% of us would consider it disrespectful.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:05 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Looks like the NBA doesn't want to step in it and take a financial hit like the NFL did. MAGA

NEW YORK (AP) — The NBA players must stand for the national anthem.
https://apnews.com/de8b63c5ac194bb6b2de982da2cc530e
I guess some of the bean counters in the NBA have an IQ beyond the single digits and understand marketability to an audience of mainly working class Americans. Personally, I wish all the professional athletes would kneel down. I'd love to see them all go out and get productive jobs after nobody wants to see them anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Actually it's funny because those who protest 'kneel' during the anthem; however, kneeling is a sign of respect. ??

Go figure.
Actually it's a traditional sign of submission. Yeah, a bit ironic.

If they had any balls, and they were really serious about disrespecting this nation, its people, and its flag, they would hoist the middle finger during the anthem. I suspect they won't do that though, because those million dollar paychecks coming from those rednecks that they hate so much are just too good to give up for principle or belief.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:12 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
So what do think is going to happen if Lebron James or Steph Curry decide not to stand. Those franchises are not going to do a dam thing because they are the main attraction.
I actually think that basketball/NBA would be more immune from backlash to an anthem protest than the NFL is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies