U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 03:10 AM

4,972 posts, read 1,201,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The DailyMail is always the best source for stories like this. Watch the video. You can hear the gunfire. Machine guns. If you were on the ground you were a sitting duck.
I'm watching a local station in the Houston metro, and they are piping through the NBC national feed. About 30 minutes ago, a reporter on the scene interviewed a woman (probably in her 20s) who was at the concert/music festival. She said they told people to get down on the ground (it sounded as though she meant over the loudspeaker), and then moments later the same source told them to run. She saids they ran a couple of blocks and then people were running in many different directions (thought hey'd be safer if they stayed in place), so they hid in some bushes for about an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 03:16 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,686,621 times
Video of people on stretchers.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00009385140482

I doubt only two people died.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:26 AM

1,183 posts, read 680,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
I doubt only two people died.
It's still early, but the numbers will probably climb.

When I read the first reports and heard people talking about "machinegun fire" I figured that they were mistaken, but the videos clearly show that it actually was automatic fire. It sounded like a fairly large caliber and there were so many rounds fired that it could even have been a belt-fed weapon. It looks like the hotel was 1000 feet or further away, so hopefully the distance and lack of aimed fire means that casualty figures are lower than they could have been.

Does Mandalay Bay have balconies or windows that open? I didn't think so.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:28 AM

20,969 posts, read 15,442,158 times
audio I heard sure sounded like full- auto. One witness said it went on for five minutes.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:36 AM

578 posts, read 444,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
audio I heard sure sounded like full- auto. One witness said it went on for five minutes.
Agreed. It definitely sounds like full auto, based on videos I saw. Hard to tell exactly, but I'd say it doesn't sound like something belt fed (we'd be talking 30cal, 5.56, 7.62, or something Russian) if it were; sounds more like an AK or AR to me.

Assuming terrorism, full auto AK's are much easier to come by. Who knows. For once, when the news media can report automatic weapons fire, they don't plaster it everywhere. Go figure.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:37 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,686,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post

When I read the first reports and heard people talking about "machinegun fire" I figured that they were mistaken, but the videos clearly show that it actually was automatic fire. It sounded like a fairly large caliber and there were so many rounds fired that it could even have been a belt-fed weapon. It looks like the hotel was 1000 feet or further away, so hopefully the distance and lack of aimed fire means that casualty figures are lower than they could have been.

Below is a link to video of the machine gun firing from the hotel. If you look closely, you'll see muzzle flashes, left of the vertical sign.

https://www.facebook.com/doner.krook...pJumQ0pfjP82Sg

Old 10-02-2017, 03:40 AM

29,462 posts, read 28,626,451 times
The latest, at least 20 dead and over 100 injured.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:40 AM

1,183 posts, read 680,971 times
The sheriff just said that there are 100+ wounded and 20+ dead. The shooter lived locally and was killed by police. They are looking for the shooter's female roommate.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:42 AM

578 posts, read 444,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post

Unfortunately, that distance won't matter to a rifle platform that is full auto.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:44 AM

1,995 posts, read 806,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingDongDang View Post
CNN working hard confirming its some right wing conservative thug.

sure wouldnt be surprised if they did, thatd be right up the alley of CNN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies