Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,075 times

Advertisements

Gun violence, rated per 100k people (which is the only stat that matters) is only high in certain cities, want to know which ones that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
When I was in high school the juniors and seniors would park their vehicles outside with rifles visible and nothing ever happened. I've had people walk around me armed before and it didn't phase me at all. Didn't even notice. I've had worse things happen to me than being shot so guns don't even give me pause. I'll never understand how paranoid people get over someone carrying a weapon.

I learned the hard way that the cops are useless and don't care what happens to me. It was a time when the government wouldn't allow me to buy a gun because I wasn't old enough but the government allowed me to be raped and mutilated by one of its own. I never want to be disarmed again.
Indoctrinated fear...

Worked for the nazis...

Old 10-03-2017, 10:35 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,643,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Well, since shooting someone is a felony, I'd say it's highly likely all shooters in Chicago are felons.
IC is throwing around the term 'felon' very loosely. makes me wonder if she even understands the word. how many shooters in Chicago are CONVICTED FELONS?

Old 10-03-2017, 10:36 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Kind of like saying that Kim Jong-Un will not stop killing people if we take nukes away from him.
If it's as easy as that, why hasn't the Fed Gov taken guns away from all the felons yet, and prevented them from acquiring more? By Federal Law, they're not allowed to have them.

Do you understand how utterly pointless gun control laws are? CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY LAWS.

12,755 posts, read 9,643,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you seriously trying to assert that it's the law-abiding citizens who are gunning others down in Chicago every week?

Come on... NO ONE is that stupid.
seems you don't understand the word 'felon'.

20,955 posts, read 8,666,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Another senseless attack on defenseless civilians and no one seems to have any solution on how to end these shootings. The responses I see here are polarized and are divided along political party lines. With the exception of actual war zones you don't see this kind of carnage in the rest of the world. The kind of casualty statistics you see in this incident are what you might see in an infantry regiment that fought in Iraq or Vietnam.
It's not totally senseless. Profits were made. Sales were made.

You are correct, tho - very rare that any modern battle has 600 wounded and dead in a day.

These is very little "political" about this. It's about money...in the Big Picture. As has been said, Capitalism will sell you the rope to hang yourself with. It will also sell you the guns - unlimited amounts - to kill others with.

Those here who yell and scream and won't even discuss sane solutions - that's a sickness, IMHO. For whatever reason they have decided that American lives don't matter much compared to unbridled Capitalism.

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to his brother, shooter was not political or religious.
So he was the only person in America without a political opinion (especially lately)? That's hard to believe. Did the man vote?

Old 10-03-2017, 10:43 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,521,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
IC is throwing around the term 'felon' very loosely. makes me wonder if she even understands the word. how many shooters in Chicago are CONVICTED FELONS?
If you mean prior to them doing a shooting, the number is likely very high. If you do just a bit of studying of inner city crime you learn that a very large portion of the violent crimes are committed by a fairly small # of perpetrators. This is true in every city. I don't recall the exact numbers, but in NYC, for example, something like 1000 people commit something like 60% of the crimes in the city (recalling #'s from memory). This in a city of 8 million people. These are people who have serious problems and keep committing the same stuff over and over again and manage not to get caught very often, and when they do get caught it's usually for minor offenses. Very likely a lot of these crimes they commit are shootings. So yes, it is almost certain that most of the shooters in Chicago are felons, but some of them might not be "convicted" felons.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:43 AM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
seems you don't understand the word 'felon'.
Read the law yourself: 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1).

Given that Federal gun control law already in place, why do felons still have guns?

If criminals won't obey that law (and clearly many others, hence their crimes), what makes you think they'll obey any other gun control law that might be passed and enacted? Wishful thinking? Fairy dust? What?

Old 10-03-2017, 10:44 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,443,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Terrorists can only be Muslim. There is no such thing as a white domestic terrorist.
McViegh, Kaczynski, Nichols, The Order

The Order

Although I leave room for you to have been sarcastic..if you were serious..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies