Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 08:59 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How does a thread recommending snipers at all public events last this long.
A thread recommending police snipers to stop crazy lunatics at large events with tens of thousands of people?

A more trained group then armed security and even regular patrol officers?

Please do explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 09:00 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I'm taking a different view of this thread:

As it has been established that counter-sniper teams are indeed used for some high profile public events (certainly not all, and it probably would not be effective for this shooting tragedy, but reference below where NYPD traditionally makes use of 3 counter-sniper teams at large public events), why would anyone - anti-gun or not, anti-Trump or not, republican or democrat - discourage the use of this added security element?

I mean, what is the motive to discouraging it besides perhaps the added cost of using police resources? I'm trying not to be cynical but is it because it somehow ruins the anti-gun debate? I can't even imagine how it would even conflict. There is one person here, mom-something, that is dead set against the idea and posted like every page...I mean for what purpose? Is she against baggage checks and bomb sniffing dogs?

https://www.newsday.com/beta/news/ne...ght-1.14340549
THIS! Explained to perfection.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Don't put words in my mouth. I said no such thing. You simply can't read complex text.
I read it your words were
Quote:
The only rational step would be to ban semi-automatic weapons. There is no practical way to prevent jury rigs that convert long guns from semi to auto. You could restrict long guns to bolt action. That would leave hand guns and shotguns and bolt action rifles. Make it hard to pull off this sort of assault.
If that isn't the definition of bending an amendment for political gain, I don't know what is...

Old 10-04-2017, 09:15 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I read it your words were

If that isn't the definition of bending an amendment for political gain, I don't know what is...
You really think we behave rationally?

If so you should not be out in public alone.

And with a friendly USSC it would be quite simple to ban possession of semi-automatic long guns.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:20 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
You really think we behave rationally?

If so you should not be out in public alone.

And with a friendly USSC it would be quite simple to ban possession of semi-automatic long guns.
I'm always out in public alone.

What I think of others is irrelevant and I hope to never see the day of a weak USSC.
What starts with altering 1 right. Leaves everything else to be altered.

Goahead. Alter the second.

I'll push for the first to be over turned so you need a background check to use the Internet and any devices to spread thoughts.
I'll push to make abortion murder.
I'll push for the 8th to be revised so that criminals have excessive bail and face cruel and unusual punishments.

That's Pandoras box you seek to open.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Or how about we get rid of the guns? Problem solved without all this BS with "how to protect ourselves cause we can't trust each other".
Wow. Gordian knot time!

Why hasn't anyone suggested this before?

So, which collection truck do you want to drive? Central Detroit or rural Texas?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:51 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Nope. One of the ways they pinned down his location is a police officer was in the unit below him when he fired. Cop reported auto fire in the unit above him.
So, the point?

Despite what happened when, the cops wound up ready to break in just two minutes after the shooting stopped. They may have attempted entry or whatever else they could do, but when they saw the camera near the key card, they fell back and waited for swat.

Besides the ex-vet identifying the gunfire just above him, a security guard took fire through the door, later to help cops identify the room. The security guard did this after being wounded by one or some of the 50 rounds fired at or through the door.

The cops later insisted he seek medical attention.

So at this point, who really cares in what order things happened or whom exactly directed them to the room, but the timeline is what is paramount to the discussion here, amIright?

Old 10-04-2017, 09:59 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Wow. Gordian knot time!

Why hasn't anyone suggested this before?

So, which collection truck do you want to drive? Central Detroit or rural Texas?
You have to admit binary is much easier than critical thinking Guns yes or no lmao

Old 10-04-2017, 10:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I'm taking a different view of this thread:

As it has been established that counter-sniper teams are indeed used for some high profile public events (certainly not all, and it probably would not be effective for this shooting tragedy, but reference below where NYPD traditionally makes use of 3 counter-sniper teams at large public events), why would anyone - anti-gun or not, anti-Trump or not, republican or democrat - discourage the use of this added security element?

I mean, what is the motive to discouraging it besides perhaps the added cost of using police resources? I'm trying not to be cynical but is it because it somehow ruins the anti-gun debate? I can't even imagine how it would even conflict. There is one person here, mom-something, that is dead set against the idea and posted like every page...I mean for what purpose? Is she against baggage checks and bomb sniffing dogs?

https://www.newsday.com/beta/news/ne...ght-1.14340549
You rang?

I am not remotely opposed to LE snipers at public events.

What I do take exception to are rather silly ideas that snipers within the crowd, hotel security or the general public should have been able to take this shooter out, chop- chop.

Las Vegas has 40 million +/- visitors ever year.

Nevada permits open and concealed carry. Las Vegas hosts many gun shows every year. These massive hotels have dozens of entry/ exit points and adjoin all sorts of venues. They are not going to do anything that could hurt business as usual, like imposing baggage checks. Then what? Confiscate ?

Not going to happen.

Maybe it's as simple as choosing to not host open air concerts in places where attendees become sitting ducks for an ai real attack from a nearby structure.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
So, the point?

Despite what happened when, the cops wound up ready to break in just two minutes after the shooting stopped. They may have attempted entry or whatever else they could do, but when they saw the camera near the key card, they fell back and waited for swat.

Besides the ex-vet identifying the gunfire just above him, a security guard took fire through the door, later to help cops identify the room. The security guard did this after being wounded by one or some of the 50 rounds fired at or through the door.

The cops later insisted he seek medical attention.

So at this point, who really cares in what order things happened or whom exactly directed them to the room, but the timeline is what is paramount to the discussion here, amIright?
According to tonight's press conference, 200 rounds were fired at the unarmed security guard. The cameras were observed. It took a SWAT team more than an hour to breach the shooter's suite. They had no idea what they would encounter and evacuated the entire floor, before moving in, almost 1.5 hours after the last shot was fired into the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies