Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 12 days ago)

29,531 posts, read 16,514,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

People like to highlight those in the lower class who work two jobs to make ends meet or to put their kids through college - but those people aren't the ones usually complaining about how unfair life is. They just aren't. They're too busy working, I suppose.
Even if you did believe what you just typed about them not complaining, that doesnt make it so that life is/isnt fair.

thats like arguing that a person who was just stabbed with a knife isnt bleeding just because you didnt hear them complain about it.

Last edited by dsjj251; 10-03-2017 at 06:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 06:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,582,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Even if you did believe what you just typed about them not complaining, that doesnt make it so that life isnt fair.

thats like arguing that a person who was just stabbed with a knife isnt bleeding just because you didnt hear them complain about it.
Who is to say what's fair? There's a guy on the cleaning crew in my building who has two jobs and he's always talking about how blessed he is to have them so he can provide for his family. His kids go to college and through the years he's taken his family on vacations all over the world. He's a happy guy.

He immigrated here from Mexico, didn't go to school beyond the 8th grade and had few options because by the time he arrived he already had small children to feed.

He thinks this is the greatest country in the world.

There's another guy I know who grew up in a wealthy family and had everything handed to him. He's never happy about anything. He gets ahead in his career and then is canned because his attitude sucks. His upbringing put him at a great disadvantage to make it in the world.

Do you understand that you cannot talk about fairness because happiness and success are measured differently?

Guy #2 is always struggling. Guy #1 doesn't feel he's had to struggle at all.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:54 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,574,679 times
Quote:
Who is to say what's fair? There's a guy on the cleaning crew in my building who has two jobs and he's always talking about how blessed he is to have them so he can provide for his family. His kids go to college and through the years he's taken his family on vacations all over the world. He's a happy guy.

He immigrated here from Mexico, didn't go to school beyond the 8th grade and had few options because by the time he arrived he already had small children to feed.

He thinks this is the greatest country in the world.

There's another guy I know who grew up in a wealthy family and had everything handed to him. He's never happy about anything. He gets ahead in his career and then is canned because his attitude sucks. His upbringing put him at a great disadvantage to make it in the world.

Do you understand that you cannot talk about fairness because happiness and success are measured differently?

Guy #2 is always struggling. Guy #1 doesn't feel he's had to struggle at all.
I had one full time job (with a lot of OT) and a part time job at the same time for over a year, which resulted in me working 7 days a week, and I was pissed off about it. I would have rather worked just the full time job and had my weekends off, but I didn't want to live in the ghetto, so felt I was forced to work both jobs to avoid that

Old 10-03-2017, 07:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,582,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I had one full time job (with a lot of OT) and a part time job at the same time for over a year, which resulted in me working 7 days a week, and I was pissed off about it. I would have rather worked just the full time job and had my weekends off, but I didn't want to live in the ghetto, so felt I was forced to work both jobs to avoid that
I don't know your situation so cannot comment on it. I know some people work two jobs because there are things they don't want to give up and I get that, too.

Many people that posters claim do no work - are working 60+ hours a week. They're doing well, but that's the equivalent of a part time and a full time job and they're working over weekends in some cases.

This happens to be the culture in our country. It's not healthy, overtime is often expected, and we get less vacation time than people in other countries, but that's not the issue.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:01 PM

37,946 posts, read 17,840,948 times
Quote:
Medicare doesn't work? Social security doesn't work? The Interstate Highway System doesn't work? The EPA doesn't work? Prey tell.....
At what cost? That's what the progressives dont care about cost and spending.
SS is a ponzi scheme that is going broke. Thanks to government I put more into SS than I receive. Yea thats a great deal for me.

Medicare costs have a 10% fraud rate. That doesn't heppen in the private sector. Medical costs started rising higher than inflation in the mid 60's when government got involved in the healthcare business with medicare and medicaid.

The EPA doesn't work with their 1 size fits all approach as if the states couldn't handle it.

Interstate highway system? You think that is efficient? You actually think the Federal government run highways are in good shape? Do some research and look how the Erie Canal came about. Maybe you'll learn something.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Back during FDR blacks were experiencing abject poverty!!! The poverty rate for blacks was over 60% back then with RAMPANT racism and discrimination being the order of the day. There was not even the pretense of equal opportunity back then. Today, voter participation rates is lowest among the poor.
Agreed and like most poor they will accept the handouts. Blacks are still on welfare, percentage wise more than any other minority. And it's not because of the color of their skin or because they are an inferioir race.
But you think welfare is working for blacks? The very same government that ruined the economy, you want them to be responsible for the poor? Why do you hate blacks so much?

Old 10-03-2017, 07:07 PM

30,106 posts, read 11,738,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But liberalism could be replaced with any ideology in your comment, hence, the flaw in even stating it.
No, liberalism has this idealized almost childlike outlook on the world, that wealthy people are inherently greedy, that its not their fault that some people are poor and the rich are to blame. That if we just transfer money from rich people to poor people everything will work out fine.

But with an ever increasing safety net it kills motivation. Obama phones would be one example. Good idea there were people who could not afford a phone and getting a job was more difficult for them. So they got their free phone. Then other people who had a phone and could afford it signed up. Very loose rules. And people working on commission to sign people up for them, so there incentive is to push people through. Now more people than should be the case are getting free government phones. As many government programs work it might start as a good idea until waste, fraud and abuse take over.

But liberals believe innocently that only the truly needy will sign up for free phones. Reality is that is not how human nature works.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Plain and simple, you don't manage your money well. Doesn't make you a bad person, just that you're bad with money.
Same thing with the housing boom and bust. A bunch of good people who were bad with money.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,574,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
No, liberalism has this idealized almost childlike outlook on the world, that wealthy people are inherently greedy, that its not their fault that some people are poor and the rich are to blame. That if we just transfer money from rich people to poor people everything will work out fine.

But with an ever increasing safety net it kills motivation. Obama phones would be one example. Good idea there were people who could not afford a phone and getting a job was more difficult for them. So they got their free phone. Then other people who had a phone and could afford it signed up. Very loose rules. And people working on commission to sign people up for them, so there incentive is to push people through. Now more people than should be the case are getting free government phones. As many government programs work it might start as a good idea until waste, fraud and abuse take over.

But liberals believe innocently that only the truly needy will sign up for free phones. Reality is that is not how human nature works.
So what's the alternative? No safety net, and let the indigent here live like they do in Brazil or India? Seriously asking....

Old 10-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 12 days ago)

29,531 posts, read 16,514,986 times
Quote:
Who is to say what's fair?
LOL. Your argument was that an individual has to vocally express displeasure for displeasure to exist. I was simply pointing out that you are completely wrong about that.

There are plenty of people who suffer in silence, plenty of people who hate their jobs but are "blessed" to even have one and are able to provide for their families.

At best, the phrase "blessed" is floor, not a ceiling.

"Im blessed to have survived that car wreck and only have lost 1 leg".

"Im blessed to have 3 $8.00 jobs and 70 hours between them rather than be jobless or only have 2 $8 dollar jobs with 46 hours between them"

sure, it can mean more, but it is in root, the minimal requirement, not max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies