Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 08:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The Founders did not even believe everyone should have guns. The Federalist Papers say as much. One author being a future President, One being the first Chief Justice, and one being the Commanding officer of the US army and Secretary of the treasury.

Many people hold, what has come to be known as the Second Amendment dear, but the Founding fathers never saw it the way most people do.

State national guards/ Militias were to be capped at 500,000 total enlisted men. Leaders chosen by local populations to maintain the weapons and train the men who carried them.
this post is rubbish pure an simple

The Founding Fathers on the Second Amendment

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/gun-...unding-fathers

https://bearingarms.com/ba-s/2016/06...y-gun-control/

The Second Amendment: The Framers' Intentions

Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 08:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Provide the post numbers you speak of....

Uncles you're lying.....in this thread.
Uncles?

Anyway, tell you what...keep dropping billions chasing ghost in the Middle East.

But not too long from now, another American nutcase will murder a whole bunch of people. And lemme tell you what you already know...it won’t be some Islamic terrorist doing it.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:00 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Which gun show? I bought most of my guns at gun shows. Every time I had to go through background checks.

By the way, not too many things are more stupid than background checks, seriously. If someone is so dangerous that he can’t even own a gun, why the hell do we let him roam the streets????

You can buy these AR type rifles legally, everyday if you pass a background check. And convert it to do this LEGALLY, with just adding a simple rear stock. Years ago I owned plenty of AR type rifles. Wanting to legally convert one to full auto, but with the procedure and cost, I decided not to. But now with a simple rear bump stock added, it functions almost like a full auto. I have drifted away from guns like this. At the time it was something to do, targets and things. But to be able to own a gun, legally, that can fire like this, is just wrong. This should NOT be legal. The purchased part, comes with a certificate from the ATF stating that it is legal.
I have not added a link here, But type in " Bump stock fire" on you tube and decide for yourself. Its just nuts that this is legal.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:08 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
As somebody that lived in Berkeley during his early 20's and moved to rural Idaho in his late 20's.

My observation is that the split is more social in nature than anything. People in Berkeley have no clue about guns. I didn't while living there. So guns were something you just did not understand and therefore feared. On the other hand, in Idaho, guns were a rite of passage into adulthood. A co-worker bought a rifle from me and his main concern...was his son old enough for the responsibility or should he wait another year.

In Berkeley guns were evil. In Idaho, guns were a concern in that was your son was mature enough for them. That is a HUGE split in perception.

According to CDC...2/3rds of gun deaths in the US are suicide. That really means that we really need to focus on mental health issues in this country. Do that and the gun issue becomes secondary instead of primary.

According to CDC...another 20% of gun deaths are black on black crime. Currently there are NO programs dealing with shootings in the black community. Develop specific programs to address this issue. Why do we accept black kids killing each other??

According to CDC...another 6% of so is Mexican gun crime. See above. Target this community and address the problem.

That leaves about 8% for the remainder of gun deaths.

I would require mandatory gun training for all high school students. My daughter went through a hunter safety course, not to become a hunter but for her to understand guns and know how to use them. She hasn't shot a gun since 16, but she understands them and the fact they are just a tool, not cool as Hollywood would like to have kids believe.

Make media violence X-rated. I never understood, why sex is X-rated and violence is not. Let's flip it like the Nordic countries. Violence in movies and video games is not ok. Sex? Who gives a rip. Very few people die during sex.

Registration and all that stuff...it doesn't work and it hasn't worked for years.

Let us try something different.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:12 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Not really.

You can buy a gun:

- private sale

- at a gun show

- from a dealer

Only one of the above require a background check. I don't even have to register firearms.

We essentially have no gun control (outside of full auto bans). What we have is basically just on paper and poorly enforced and has too many holes in it.
Wrong, I have gone to many gun shows never once have I seen anyone buy a firearm without a background check.
Private sales are different and to require them to perform a background check is unenforceable.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:14 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,593 times
Freedom sometimes has to be compromised for societal wellbeing. Is there any society where people can do whatever, without limitations?

Old 10-03-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Oh, is that too dramatic?

I should really forget about all the mass shootings in the US that have left who knows how many dead -- including 20 6-YEAR-OLD CHILDREN. I should stop being melodramatic.

There are after all, far more important issues, like NFL players kneeling during the US anthem.
Those 20 children were not shot with any guns the shooter owned, he shot his mother in the face to gain access to the guns he used to shoot the kids, because he knew it would hurt her, even though she was already dead. The Devil is in the details, do get all of them before claiming knowledge.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Freedom sometimes has to be compromised for societal wellbeing. Is there any society where people can do whatever, without limitations?
Compromise Your Freedom and Rights, I have no intention of giving up anything the Founders saw fit to give us All.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Brilliant response. Incredible, intelligent insight.

I've been surrounded my whole life by the strong, white males in my family, including the two I carried, gave birth to, and am raising to be strong, white men.

The only white men I resent are those weaklings responsible for the murder and devastation in 99% of the mass killings in this country.
Cool, then stop trying to take away the rights of those that are not doing a darn thing wrong.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:22 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Compromise Your Freedom and Rights, I have no intention of giving up anything the Founders saw fit to give us All.
Why is what they gave the best for society?

Can you do whatever without limitations, or is your freedom compromised already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies