Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times

Advertisements

The anti gunners are barking up the wrong tree going after "assault weapons".

If you really want to have an impact, rather than passing another piece of useless, feel good legislation, you need to target the easy availability and use of cheap, "Saturday night special" type handguns that make up the bulk of the type of weapons actually used in gun crimes.

"Assault weapons" may be high profile in grabbing the headlines, but on a daily basis cheap, used 38 revolvers and Hi point 9mm handguns are typically the most common weapons found in a police evidence lockers.

http:// https://youtu.be/gV3UUc9x-Nw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Once again, this is a right we are talking about.

Do we require that one has a license before they can vote? Do we require training and testing before they can vote?

If we do not require such for other rights, then we should not require it for this right.
Maybe you have a point. If those bearing arms are in a well-regulated militia, then they only have to have training and testing required by the militia.

For all the others who are coat-tailing the rights, perhaps they too can be trained.

We should try to stick to the topic, and that is "solve the gun debate". Since many who support our current admin are loose with other rights (like the rights of hispanics in Arizona, Sherriff Joe), let's not hide selectively behind those rights.

As I said before, I'm looking for ways to solve the problem, AND keep 2A intact. Deflecting really doesn't help.

Since you brought up voting: Yes, we do require EVERYONE to register before they can vote. I can't think of any acceptions or loopholes. In the case of guns, I could concede they are not dangerous on their own, only in the hands of unsafe, unstable, or untrained people. For true gun advocates (BTW, I own nearly a dozen), I'd think we'd want those who have them to be trained and safe. If you can't get behind less deaths for the sake of something good, then how about doing it to preserve your rights, and to quiet the argument that guns kill. If people were more aware, better trained, then less people would die by the gun.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:28 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm not sure what cars and swimming pools have to do with gun violence I am sure, and however you try and 'dress it up' with your 'gun deaths have gone down' argument the FACT is that the USA has BY A MASSIVE DISTANCE by FAR the highest number of people shot to death every year, its not even close, its not even close to being close, if you really can't accept that you have a massive problem with guns there then I really don't know what to say.
"I'm not sure what cars and swimming pools have to do with gun violence"

Of course you don't

"but hey if you are OK about thousands of people dying from gunshots every year in the US"

You and many like you keep talking about gun DEATHS and IGNORE the OTHER things that cause MORE deaths then guns.

It is evident that you and yours, are NOT concerned about the deaths at all but, banning guns.

IF you were as concerned about deaths as you claim, you would be posting about the OTHER things that cause MORE deaths then just guns.

" the FACT is that the USA has BY A MASSIVE DISTANCE by FAR the highest number of people shot to death every year"

Higher then what?

the FBI stat have been posted HUNDREDS of times and guns are NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE TOP of the list.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Compromise Your Freedom and Rights, I have no intention of giving up anything the Founders saw fit to give us All.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Cool, then stop trying to take away the rights of those that are not doing a darn thing wrong.
This is the self centered attitude and behavior I spoke about either earlier in this thread or on another thread. Americans are uniquely self interested and I feel this is a big part of the reason we have more mass shootings on our soil than other countries.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:31 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Maybe you have a point. If those bearing arms are in a well-regulated militia, then they only have to have training and testing required by the militia.

For all the others who are coat-tailing the rights, perhaps they too can be trained.

We should try to stick to the topic, and that is "solve the gun debate". Since many who support our current admin are loose with other rights (like the rights of hispanics in Arizona, Sherriff Joe), let's not hide selectively behind those rights.

As I said before, I'm looking for ways to solve the problem, AND keep 2A intact. Deflecting really doesn't help.

Since you brought up voting: Yes, we do require EVERYONE to register before they can vote. I can't think of any acceptions or loopholes. In the case of guns, I could concede they are not dangerous on their own, only in the hands of unsafe, unstable, or untrained people. For true gun advocates (BTW, I own nearly a dozen), I'd think we'd want those who have them to be trained and safe. If you can't get behind less deaths for the sake of something good, then how about doing it to preserve your rights, and to quiet the argument that guns kill. If people were more aware, better trained, then less people would die by the gun.
Are you sure about that?

The FBI Announces Gangs Have Infiltrated Every Branch Of The Military - Business Insider

Old 10-04-2017, 06:34 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You are apparently unaware of how violent the US govt is. Americans need guns.
And the amount of people killed by guns vs. percentage of guns owned is minuscule.
Can you give me an example of how violent the US Gov't is towards Americans?

I'm truly interested in your response in light of your posts on other threads on this topic.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:34 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I'm not sure what cars and swimming pools have to do with gun violence"

Of course you don't

"but hey if you are OK about thousands of people dying from gunshots every year in the US"

You and many like you keep talking about gun DEATHS and IGNORE the OTHER things that cause MORE deaths then guns.

It is evident that you and yours, are NOT concerned about the deaths at all but, banning guns.

IF you were as concerned about deaths as you claim, you would be posting about the OTHER things that cause MORE deaths then just guns.

" the FACT is that the USA has BY A MASSIVE DISTANCE by FAR the highest number of people shot to death every year"

Higher then what?

the FBI stat have been posted HUNDREDS of times and guns are NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE TOP of the list.
What has the fact that 'other things' cause death got to do with it???? Are you suggesting the thousands of Americans killed by guns don't count because there are 'other' ways to die! WOW! Also the answer is 'higher' than ALL the other developed nations combined, not just a 'bit' higher but by a MASSIVE amount. I can't believe you still haven't even got your head around this basic FACT, how on earth are you going to try and solve a problem if you are simply burying your head in the sand about the problem. Are you seriously suggesting that the thousands of Americans that die from guns each year is not worth worrying about because people also die in car accidents! Unbelievable.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:36 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This is the self centered attitude and behavior I spoke about either earlier in this thread or on another thread. Americans are uniquely self interested
I'm reminded of that all the time when Americans, particularly those on the left, REFUSE to be taxed regressively like Scandinavia and Europe, but still insist they want the social program perks those regressive taxes are needed to fund. Selfish greed is all it is.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:49 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
No, but he's right that the focus should be on "criminal control" rather than "gun control."
Unfortunately that's a non starter as it would keep an awful lot of Democrats from voting......

Old 10-04-2017, 06:55 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This is the self centered attitude and behavior I spoke about either earlier in this thread or on another thread. Americans are uniquely self interested and I feel this is a big part of the reason we have more mass shootings on our soil than other countries.
Self-interest and selfishness are virtues, not vices. We need more of both, not less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies